“Downtown by TRAX” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
new york
“Downtown by TRAX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We got a good deal on our room, and the downtown location was great, with parking ($5/day) conveniently adjacent to the hotel. The bed was great, but the 5:30am noise from the compressors behind the hotel (note: we were on the 11th floor) was deafening. I don't think anyone could have slept through it! Not sure where you would find silence since TRAX is right in front of the hotel... Perhaps the desk staff could help on this?

Room Tip: North rooms face dreaded compressor noise....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear pickling,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location along with the convenience of our attached, covered parking garage. I apologize for the inconvenience the generator caused you early that morning. Unfortunately it seems the building next door may have had the generators kick on. Next time you're in town, give me a call and I'll try and get you a room that might be a little more quiet for you.

801-521-0130 x 2149

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel was wonderful for us. Very clean rooms, seems like they have been recently remodeled and it shows! Beds were a little firm for our liking, but hey - you're not at home! Location - couldn't be better. Literally next door to Temple Square, we really enjoyed walking out the door and crossing the street and spending hours walking and touring. The downtown mall is practically as close, and there are excellent restaurants everywhere within easy walking distance. All in all, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear RADdoc_TX,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our location so much as well as our remodeled rooms! We're pretty excited about the new rooms so it's great to be able to get feedback from our guests. We will see you next time you're in town!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My company always uses this property when in SLC. Great location. Right next door to the Mormon Temple Square, across the street from City Creek Center, a huge shopping mall.
And only about a block from the state capitol. Many restaurants, brew pubs, etc. nearby.

The rooms are large, modern, clean and comfortable. Ron, the concierge, is extremely helpful in making suggestions for dining in the area and can even offer discount coupons for restaurants.

You can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Kensterfly,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoy staying at our hotel! I will be sure to pass your kind words along to Ron, our Director of Guest Services. I'm sure he will appreciate hearing what you have to say as well! We will see you next time you're in town!

Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I really don't know how this hotel is rated three stars. The room we were in was decorated exactly the same as my 72 year old mother-in-law's living room that hasn't been updated since 1982. The bathroom was a bit on the rough side. The bathtub was stained and the wallpaper in the bathroom was damaged. I will say this much though, the bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean. The fridge and microwave were also in decent shape and the coffeemaker worked well. I honestly wasn't upset by the room itself, but the fact that this hotel has the same star rating as the newer hotels in the area is just wrong. The location is great during the day, but at night it's downright seedy. We stepped off the trax train across the street from the front door and were immediately harassed by panhandlers. Obviously this isn't something the hotel management can control, but people should be aware that at night the area is less than hospitable. The staff was friendly and accommodating though and the man at the front desk even opened up one of the conference rooms so that my fiance could watch television (He couldn't sleep) and not wake myself or my son up with the tv in our room.

Now, for the most disappointing thing about the hotel: when we booked this room via Hotwire we chose this particular property based on the price and the availability of a complimentary airport shuttle service, as we were leaving the next day and had an early morning flight and didn't want to inconvenience our family by making them get up and drive us to the airport at 4am. In fact, that was the whole reason for staying at a hotel our last night in town! Anyway, we got to the hotel to check in only to find out that the shuttle doesn't start running until 6:30am, which didn't work for us since our flight left at 6am. We decided to just take the train, since there was a stop right across the street. Of course, the train didn't start running until 5am, so we ended up being rushed and frazzled and barely made our flight. Had I known the shuttle wasn't 24 hours I would have stayed elsewhere. I mean, if you are going to offer an airport shuttle service, it needs to be running for all flights, or you need to make sure that it's easy for people to find out that the shuttle only runs at certain times. It was very disappointing.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here if you need a 24 hour airport shuttle because they DO NOT HAVE ONE!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Shan_30ish,

Thank you for your comments. They are important to us as we are always trying to improve. We are currently in the middle of a remodel project where we are updating our guest rooms, and it sounds like you were assigned a non-remodeled room, so next time you're in town, I'd love to get you into a newer room and get your feed back on that!
As for the airport shuttle, we do have our times posted on our website, so I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Please give me a call next time you're in town as I'd love to hear your input about our new rooms.

King Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Where else can you stay across the street from the convention center, symphony, Temple Square and the new mall for $109? Covered parking is $5 a day but includes unlimited ingress and egress. In room wifi is unusually fast for a hotel. Stayed in one of the renovated rooms, nice but not spectacular. View of the city from 10th floor terrific. If you don't expect to spend a lot of time in your room, can't beat the price. Perfect for business traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear robert d,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our new rooms. We're always striving to offer the best service we can to our guests. We hope to see you next time you're in town!

West Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Right after we checked in at the front desk - we heard an employee ask for a updated room for a guest. We asked if we had gotten an updated room - and was told we didn't. I asked if we could get one and they quickly made the room change. Our room was comfortable except for the terrible tub. The tub controls were impossible to reach from the tub and the head/back rest area of the tub was a complete right angle making it very uncomfortable. If you are a shower person - you would never notice - I however, like a bath - and this one was terrible.

The location was perfect for wondering around the Temple Square and downtown mall area. We would stay again - but only take showers!

Room Tip: Only gave the room a 3 because of the bath tub.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear LeeLeeAnn,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms! We're excited about them! Next time you're in town ask us about our honeymoon suites, they come with a jacuzzi tub right in the room with you so lots of time for relaxing! See you then!

801-521-0130
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I lived in Salt Lake 30 years ago during college and a few years afterwards. I go there often to visit family and for business. While looking for a hotel in downtown for a personal trip, I came across the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel on TripAdvisor. Based on the good reviews, I decided to stay here. As I drove up, I was like, "Oh no, this is the old Howard Johnson hotel" and it didn't have the best curbside appeal. However, the interior has been upgraded and is clean and nice. The location is fantastic, right in the heart of downtown. And the view of the Temple and Temple Square is just spectacular. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear ifawoman,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our some of our upgrades. We are currently in the middle of a guest room remodel project, so when all of that is said and done you'll have to come back and visit us again!

801-521-0130 x 2149

Been to Salt Lake Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!