“good location, views of the temple” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 West South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #25 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Seattle, Washington
“good location, views of the temple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in late February 2013 in a room with a view to the north on the 11th floor. The room, cleanliness, noise level and amenities were average. Nothing stood out with this place. Internet connection was good. Room cleaning service was good. Two oddities:
(1) it was rather difficult to pull the water handle to get the shower to go on. The front desk person had to show me how to do it. I was afraid I was going to damage the shower water handle. I get the impression the hotel staff goes through this drill on a regular basis.
(2) The wall unit heater would either get the room too hot or it would be too cold. I left the heater on at a minimum overnight, otherwise I'd wake up sweating from the heat.
The location is the best thing going for this hotel. Right across the street from the regional light rail train (TRAX). Across the street from the Mormon Temple and new shopping mall. Also nice that there's a free shuttle service to the airport. No breakfast was included at the JB's restaurant adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Budget Freak,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed our great location in Salt Lake City.
We hope you stay with us again soon un one of our beautiful remodeled rooms.

801-606-2410

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel- this really isn't the case. When I first arrived, the room was small, the heating wouldn't stay on long enough to heat the room, the soap was unwrapped (and presumably second hand) AND THERE WERE THREE BLACK HAIRS IN THE BATH.

I complained to the guy at front desk (because the front desk button on the phone didn't work), and he didn't seem to care. He did move me to an identical room by the lift shaft but didn't really appologise. If I worked there, I would have done it differently.

Anyway, the new room had a buzzing fridge, and MORE black hairs in the bath- both on the basin, in the shower curtains and on the floor. At least the soap was wrapped. Oh, the carpet was ripped across the centre of the room too.

I ordered room service the first morning I stayed- the food arrived quickly and was reasonably priced. However, it tasted really bad, and I couldn't finish it.

I left the tray outside the room, and it took them 3 and a half days to collect it. I told them every single morning it was still there, yet nothing. It's disgusting, everything about this place.

To top off my terrible stay, at 8am on Saturday morning they started CONSTRUCTION work on the room(s) above mine (I was on 10th, the banging and drilling came from above). I had ear plugs in and I couldn't even concentrate with them in, let alone sleep.

I decided to pack up my bags and leave. At reception, I complained once again- and although the lady was apologetic (much better than the guy earlier in the week), she just blamed management and that there was nothing any of the staff could do. She also blamed the restaurant being "a separate entity" as to why my room service tray had been left for nearly 4 days. Yeh right, I paid for my disgusting breakfast via the hotel, and what about all of those maids that walked past it every day?

This is a disgrace of a hotel. So many individual things were terrible about my stay- there are much nicer, better hotels to stay at in Salt Lake City - pick ANY of them over this place!

Oh, and just to top this all off, even though when I checked in I said I was going to use the car park for just one day, I was charged for all days I was staying there. I left my paper ticket in the hire car earlier in the week, and so they insisted I pay $30. Partially my fault for not having the slip, however after the stay I had had, I was shocked to hear they wouldn't waive the fee.

Disgustingly dirty, terrible service, terrible food, poorly decorated, poorly maintained. The only good thing about this place is its next to the convention centre.

OH, and when we parked the car we had to park on the top (4th floor). There are no elevators, and so you have to walk down 4 flights of stairs to get to the hotel. If you're elderly or disabled, be prepared for this. Also, if you want a clean bathroom, be prepared too!

Disgraceful.

• Stayed March 2013
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Micheal1234,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. We appreciate the many positive comments we receive, yours is very important to us. We are presently remodeling our rooms to improve our guests experience. We have a high standard of service at the Plaza Hotel. Your experience is not the norm. We are sorry that we did not measure up. We hope you stay with again in one of our beautiful remodeled rooms.

Kind Regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I spent 3 days in SLC to research my family history. The hotel was exactly what it needed to be. Room was quiet and clean - if a little dated. Less than 5 minute walk to the library. Staff was friendly & helpful - in particular the young man who drove me to and from the airport.
If you want a great price, a convenient location and aren't looking for some of the frills you might get at more expensive downtown hotels this is a great place & I had no complaints.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Icsnorton,

Thank you for letting us host your stay. We hope your research experience at the Family History Library next door was successful. We hope you stay again with us soon in one of beautiful remodeled rooms.

Stacy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed 6 nights at the property and enjoyed each day and night. The beds are very comfortable and the room was very quite. The shower was excellent. The heater/ AC was very quite and performed great. Nice size room and the rate was excellent for the downtown location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Dan1946,

Thank you for sharing your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to
hosting your stay again.

Best Regads,
Springville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've actually stayed at this property several times since it was a Howard Johnson property in the 1980s, but it had fallen off my "frequent visitor" list for several years. Last year, I had opportunity to stay there again, and I was reminded of why I liked it in the first place. My stay this past week proved that a good location only gets better.

This property has spacious rooms, with a desk and nice desk chair, sitting area with table and chairs, lounge chair in the 2Queen rooms and sofa in the King rooms, refrigerator, microwave, and in-room safe. They are in the process of room renovation and I recently had opportunity to stay on one of the completed floors. The decor is pleasant, not overdone, and the changes only made the rooms a bit more spacious than before. The beds are extremely comfortable. Amenities include complimentary wireless internet access, and the hotel has a pool, jacuzzi, library, computer/printer area, exercise room, and guest laundry. It is also adjacent to a JBs restaurant with an economical breakfast and salad bar.

Of course, anyone who does genealogy research knows about this property since it is located right around the corner from the Family History Library. But the general traveler should make note as well. The property is on the southwest corner of Temple Square, making access to the historical sites easy, across the street from Abravenel Hall and the Salt Palace Convention Center, catty-corner from the new City Creek shopping center with all of its new restaurants and shops, and directly in front of the Temple Square TRAX line for easy access to a wide variety of in-town and out-of-town locations. What's more, they are one of a few hotels in SLC that still offer a complimentary airport shuttle. Now what's not to like about that?!

If you are looking for an easy, comfortable hotel to downtown SLC, this would be a good place to consider.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on one of the floors that are already renovated.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Peg I,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to host your
stay again soon.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel was across the street from Temple Square and next door to the Family History Library. The TRAX station was right in front of the hotel. Restaurant was located next to the hotel. City Creek shopping center was only a block away. Rooms were nice with comfortable beds. Great views if you were on the upper floors.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds have more space. Upper floors have nice views. Remodeling the 13th floor so 12th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dianne M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our great downtown location.
We look forward to hosting your stay again soon.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Second year we've stayed here for Genealogy work. Family History Center is next door & Temple Square Across the street. Rooms have plenty of space, clean, & staff are friendly & helpful.
Not 5 star but we don't need that level of service.

• Stayed February 2013
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us two years in a row and thank you for kind words.
We hope to host your stay for another genealogy research trip.
Best Regards,

Been to Salt Lake Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!