“Misleading pricing, and tiny rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Camelot Inn & Hostel
Camelot Inn & Hostel
165 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Salt Lake
“Misleading pricing, and tiny rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I was very frustrated by the pricing, I was told that the price of staying daily would be ~ $170 a week, with a 10% discount if I booked a whole week, but for 4 days it was $120, that is 210 a week! I was actually looking for apartments, he advertises that it is 340 to stay for a month, but it is just a lure, because he doesn't have monthly vacancies for you. The location is in a seedy part of town, I can clearly hear the every breath of a man on the furthest opposite corner of this building, and everything inbetween. This is not a nice place, and they are kinda shiisty and try take advantage of you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was traveling from Portland to Denver and decided to stay for a couple days in Salt Lake City. I didn't really have any plans and I had never been to SLC before. It was around 11pm or so when I got referred to this place by another hostel that was full for the evening. I called the number, but nobody answered so I left a message. A few minutes later, my cell phone rang and it was Camelot, inquiring if I needed a room. Everything was handled over the phone. I was given a key code to let myself in, and got a private room with a bunk bed for a very reasonable price. Inside the building, I found a communal kitchen and a couple bathrooms with showers. If I had wanted to, I could have bought groceries and cooked food on the stove or in the nuker as long as I cleaned up my mess. But I was on vacation so I ended up eating out. The building looked old, but the room was clean. Granted, this was NOT the Hilton or the Carlton Ritz, and I did not expect it to be so. However, because of the way it is set up with the key-code doors and security cameras, I felt very safe. I ended up staying another night, and found out that they also rented cheap bicycles for the day! Since I had no other means of transportation I felt this was a really great service. To be sure, the bike was a P.O.S. Walmart special that didn't shift right, and the seat was too low, but it sure beat walking and the price was right on. I personally enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to budget minded travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
ARVADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

The house can't be missed because its yellow color stands out. It's very close to the light rail line. The ceiling fan helped me sleep well at night. I felt like I was at home. Dwight Palas

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I had a surreal experience at the hostel and left feeling most violated and insulted.

I stayed at this place one night and it was not eventful. The next day, my plan to stay with a friend fell through at the last minute and I had to drive back to the hostel around midnight. I entered the building with the same security code that I was provided the night before. The check-in computer did not allow me to pay online. I felt the only choice I had was to wait until the next morning to pay the staff in person.

The next morning I waited until 10am when the staff arrive to pay for my stay, but was told there will be a penalty payment for paying in person. I felt that my honesty was being penalized. Someone else in my situation could have simply left before 10am without paying. I asked the staff to waive the penalty, and he said he understands my point but knew from experience that the owner would not. I asked him to call the owner.

To my greatest surprise, as soon as I said hi into the receiver, the owner on the other end of the phone was yelling - "you do not do this! you trespassing! you pay penalty or I call the police! I know everything about you! You do this in your country, but here in America, I call the police and the police arrest you! Tow your car!" on and on and on.

I tried my best to calmly explain the situation, how I got in so late that I didn't have any way to pay before staying and why I shouldn't be punished for being honest. This was no use. He was not listening and the verbal abuse continued.

Either the Salt Lake city police force was the stellar example of the country or there was some special reason behind it, the police officer promptly showed up in 5 minutes, still on the phone with the owner DIRECTLY. Once the officer's off the phone with the owner, he asked for my name and birthday, and told me that he would arrest me for trespassing the hotel property, have my car towed and bill me for it, and I can tell my story to the judge. Or, the owner was willing to drop all charges if I pay the penalty. I tried to explain the situation and that the owner insulted me, but the police officer insisted that my options were to pay, or get arrested.

I don't know enough about the legal system to know if the police officer had ground to arrest me for entering a hotel property and wanting to pay for my room. But I am an immigrant and didn't want any arrest record. So, with tail between my legs, I swallow my principal and my pride, paid the penalty and left the place feeling utterly disgusted.

I then recalled a similar situation with the police when I was traveling in Kenya, and remembered with bitterness that I was able to reason my way out of that corrupted country without having to pay any bribery. Who knew, this is America!

Come to this hostel if you enjoy humiliation.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

The hostel is small and no-frills. The outside looks a little weird (brightly colored paints) but inside it's quite acceptable. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Bathrooms also clean and updated. Nice kitchen, TV, etc. The self-check-in was easy to use. They don't accept "walk-ins" which I think discourages bums. Very cheap cost, it's a bargain really. There was an interesting mix of young people from various countries and a few random Americans. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

A group of 10 of us stayed in private rooms (dorm rooms are also available).

The 24-hour self check-in was very convenient. The managers are based off-site, but we found them to be very responsive on the phone.

This is essentially a nice and simple self-catering youth hostel. We made use of the free internet connection and the pile of guidebooks left in the kitchen.

The rooms were small and nothing special, but it suited our needs perfectly. The bathrooms were shared, but there were four of them so we never had to wait.

We stayed on Labor Day, a major public holiday in the States, so the city itself was dead quiet, but this didn't make any difference to the accommodation. A couple of restaurants were still open nearby, and it was business as usual at the Mormon Temple - nine blocks from the hostel - which is the only tourist stop we had time for.

We booked through hostelbookers.com.

Stayed September 2008
salt lake city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

this was the worst place i have ever staid the owner was the least helpfull person he was more worrird about talking on the phone then helpping us

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Camelot Inn & Hostel? Share your experiences!