“Horrendous management, terrible customer service” 1 of 5 stars

You added Camelot Inn & Hostel to your Saves list
Camelot Inn & Hostel
165 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Crested Butte, Colorado
“Horrendous management, terrible customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Evidently, you get what you pay for. My girlfriend and I elected to stay at Camelot after enjoying a one night stay here months ago. This time, we elected to stay a couple days and enjoy some skiing in the mountains and cycling in the city. We were sadly disappointed.

Thanks to disgruntled management, our bikes were held hostage. To clarify, we had an employee lock them up for us one evening. He told us that he didn't have the code to access the facility, but an employee could help us the next day or alternatively we could call the hostel's help line 24 hours a day for assistance.

We called the help line when no employees were present. The owner of the establishment, Arthur, answered the phone and seemed awfully irritated from the start. He was irked, evidently, that he had to talk to a customer. Once I explained the predicament, he berated his employee, John, and said that the fault rested on his shoulders. He advised me to contact John and promptly hung up the phone without warning.

I did my best to contact John, to no avail. When I called Arthur again, his tone was even more hostile and he accused me of threatening him when I announced that I'd be leaving a bad tripadvisor review.

To boot, the bathrooms smell incredibly musty and moldy and remind me of the dormitory I occupied my freshman year of college.

I realize that this place is offered at bargain basement prices. That's great. Fair warning, though; Arthur, who runs this joint, fancies himself "King Arthur" and will treat you accordingly. Don't bother being a pauper in his court. Shell out a few extra dollars and stay at the Motel6.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank yoschroe

Waterloo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband booked a room for my son who was traveling to SLC. He booked over the internet for 2 nights. When he finished it said it was booked for a week. My husband tried to call and contact someone several times. When he finally got ahold of the guy who handles things he told him he would not rent to him. My husband tried to ask what was the reason and the he already paid and had a confirmation number by the guy just got mad. We then told our son what happened so he tried calling himself to explain he was arriving that night and would need a room for a couple of nights, etc. my son got a text from the guy saying "if you step foot on the property I will call the police!" I read in a review the guy was crazy and scary but I figured it wasn't that bad....my mistake. Take your business somewhere else and avoid the hassle!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jamaicagirl123

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

D.F. (Ciudad de Mexico), México
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The place is cute and cozy, outside looks strange, but the opposite, I highly recommend it.
Is located one block from the train station, one block from a restaurant, in the corner there is a Seven Eleven.

Room Tip: If your budget is tight visit it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place is garbage. The owner is mean and rude and can fight with you and throw your stuff out while you not there. Very bad experience staying here. They manipulate the price and you will ends up paying almost the same price as staying in any decent motel.I strongly recommend not staying here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ss k
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Looking for a convenient and inexpensive place to stay during your visit to Salt Lake City? I stayed here for 5 days in August 2013 and found it adequate for my needs. Not many frills but I generally don't expect much from a hostel.

It's easy to find. Just look for the yellow building. I think it's the only yellow building in town. If you're coming from the airport, just take Trax to the 900 station and you're half a block away.

Rooms are about average and I slept fine with three other guys in the room. I had a little trouble figuring out how to actually get into the room because I arrived late at night and was forced to go onto a computer to read the instructions. You also have to deal with figuring out how to put the key back in the contraption outside the door when you sign out. But it's not too bad. Just different.

The common area has a couple of computers and a table. Not much space if you want to hang out with friends. You'll be near the downtown area, which isn't like a typical city. Salt Lake has wide straight boulevards with not a lot of traffic. You can walk or take TRAX practically everywhere you need to go. I felt very safe here late at night, and I loved how there were several car dealerships across the street so I could browse after hours.

Camelot is a very clean hostel. No musty smells like that place I stayed near Taos, New Mexico. Showers are nice although a bit cramped. But at least they're not shared like in some other facilities.

Refrigerator is right by the door so you can buy food and deposit it in there as soon as you arrive, and grab it when you want to take something with you for the day. All in all, I recommend this place. No big complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Freed0mt0travel
Provo, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I reserved a couple of rooms only to find that something had come up and I had to cancel a couple of hours after booking. I called the hostel and was told that I was in the wrong to ask if we could work something out since the policy is that I would have to have canceled 48 hours in advance to get my money back, which would have been impossible since I had booked the rooms earlier that day. When I explained this to Arthur, the owner, he became aggressive and rude and kept throwing policies and "proof" of this policy at me rather than attempt to work with me. Tuns out that this is not the only bad policy. His hotel includes far too many extra rules and charges/fees hiding in the corners. This type of penny-pinching, inhospitable attitude is not worthy of a business. Save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, it isn't worth the risk to your wallet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MichaelMoustache
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

we had stayed here 6 years ago and it was actually a different bldg as this one was being remodeled. the one we stayed in was ok except there was no working phone 9as advertised) and I had to ask another guest if I could use his phone. As a result, a month later my credit card was compromised. Coincidence???
This stay we booked in advance for two days. Our booking from Hostel World (to save the euro service charge) indicated a set price. However taxes and fees were added on without our knowledge and we did not get this info unitl a few days later. The site lists in two places taxes are included and taxes are not included. Does not give us a breakdown of how the taxes are determined. (Utah tax people, are you listening???). We decided to extend our stay a day and called for availability. told yes and assumed the fee would be the same and again the fee was the same ($30 for 2 in a room) but now $7 was added onto for "taxes" . Tax in Utah is supposed to be about 12.6%. How does 12.6% of $30 equal $7? Just now noticed that hostelbookers lists a 16% tax. Isn't the tax set by the state or city? Since when can an owner of a business change the tax rate? And to make matters worse, my credti card was compromised AGAIN a few days after we left. Coincidence again??? And as far as the fan in the room, yes but it was connected to the light. How many people sleep with the light on to use a fan? I suppose we could have unscrewed the lightbulbs since it was a bunk bed, however, the light was on a timer so it would go off in an hour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple