“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

165 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
D.F. (Ciudad de Mexico), México
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The place is cute and cozy, outside looks strange, but the opposite, I highly recommend it.
Is located one block from the train station, one block from a restaurant, in the corner there is a Seven Eleven.

Room Tip: If your budget is tight visit it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This place is garbage. The owner is mean and rude and can fight with you and throw your stuff out while you not there. Very bad experience staying here. They manipulate the price and you will ends up paying almost the same price as staying in any decent motel.I strongly recommend not staying here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Looking for a convenient and inexpensive place to stay during your visit to Salt Lake City? I stayed here for 5 days in August 2013 and found it adequate for my needs. Not many frills but I generally don't expect much from a hostel.

It's easy to find. Just look for the yellow building. I think it's the only yellow building in town. If you're coming from the airport, just take Trax to the 900 station and you're half a block away.

Rooms are about average and I slept fine with three other guys in the room. I had a little trouble figuring out how to actually get into the room because I arrived late at night and was forced to go onto a computer to read the instructions. You also have to deal with figuring out how to put the key back in the contraption outside the door when you sign out. But it's not too bad. Just different.

The common area has a couple of computers and a table. Not much space if you want to hang out with friends. You'll be near the downtown area, which isn't like a typical city. Salt Lake has wide straight boulevards with not a lot of traffic. You can walk or take TRAX practically everywhere you need to go. I felt very safe here late at night, and I loved how there were several car dealerships across the street so I could browse after hours.

Camelot is a very clean hostel. No musty smells like that place I stayed near Taos, New Mexico. Showers are nice although a bit cramped. But at least they're not shared like in some other facilities.

Refrigerator is right by the door so you can buy food and deposit it in there as soon as you arrive, and grab it when you want to take something with you for the day. All in all, I recommend this place. No big complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Provo, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I reserved a couple of rooms only to find that something had come up and I had to cancel a couple of hours after booking. I called the hostel and was told that I was in the wrong to ask if we could work something out since the policy is that I would have to have canceled 48 hours in advance to get my money back, which would have been impossible since I had booked the rooms earlier that day. When I explained this to Arthur, the owner, he became aggressive and rude and kept throwing policies and "proof" of this policy at me rather than attempt to work with me. Tuns out that this is not the only bad policy. His hotel includes far too many extra rules and charges/fees hiding in the corners. This type of penny-pinching, inhospitable attitude is not worthy of a business. Save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, it isn't worth the risk to your wallet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

we had stayed here 6 years ago and it was actually a different bldg as this one was being remodeled. the one we stayed in was ok except there was no working phone 9as advertised) and I had to ask another guest if I could use his phone. As a result, a month later my credit card was compromised. Coincidence???
This stay we booked in advance for two days. Our booking from Hostel World (to save the euro service charge) indicated a set price. However taxes and fees were added on without our knowledge and we did not get this info unitl a few days later. The site lists in two places taxes are included and taxes are not included. Does not give us a breakdown of how the taxes are determined. (Utah tax people, are you listening???). We decided to extend our stay a day and called for availability. told yes and assumed the fee would be the same and again the fee was the same ($30 for 2 in a room) but now $7 was added onto for "taxes" . Tax in Utah is supposed to be about 12.6%. How does 12.6% of $30 equal $7? Just now noticed that hostelbookers lists a 16% tax. Isn't the tax set by the state or city? Since when can an owner of a business change the tax rate? And to make matters worse, my credti card was compromised AGAIN a few days after we left. Coincidence again??? And as far as the fan in the room, yes but it was connected to the light. How many people sleep with the light on to use a fan? I suppose we could have unscrewed the lightbulbs since it was a bunk bed, however, the light was on a timer so it would go off in an hour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Three Rivers, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I'm very surprised to see the general negative tone of most reviews here. I have stayed at this hostel on three occasions for a week at a time on an annual ski pilgrimage and always had a wonderful experience. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on my trips and will return there in February 2012. The rooms are very clean and inexpensive. The bathrooms are exceptionally clean as well. They are public in the sense that you don't have a private bathroom in your room. While anyone can use any of the bathrooms at any given time, they are single person at a time and the doors lock. I've never had to wait for access to one of them.

They do seem to have a lot of posted rules, but they are sensible rules [(clean up the kitchen when you're done cooking, take your dirty clothes and toiletries out of the bathroom when you're done, don't be noisy late, no alcohol use in common areas (see previous rule), etc.] and emphasize consideration of others; not a bad thing. The rules aren't onerous, they're really just common sense for people who respect their fellow travelers. The only drawback for me is an over-reliance on disposable kitchenware (paper plates, plastic silverware) and a bit of a scarcity of available cookware as I make most of my meals.

For my ski trips, the location is perfect- 1/2 block to the TRAX light rail station and two blocks to the ski bus stop. There's a Super Walmart one stop away on Trax for groceries and numerous restaurants within walking distance. Public transportation reaches all four of the Cottonwood resorts (Alta, Brighton, Snowbird and Solitude) and the airport making it possible to visit for an outstanding ski trip without having to rent a car or stay at high priced resort accommodations. The neighborhood is certainly lower income but I've never had a hint of trouble with anyone on the street, bus or train at any time of the day or night.

Room Tip: For the small difference in price, I'd recommend a private room rather than a shared dorm space.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Thorne Bay, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The booking can only be done online. A friend booked for us, and it seemed easy enough. The guest house website was a bit of a nightmare. We stayed in the blue and bright yellow inn/hostel building.

The room was about 22 per person for a 2 person room with a double bed on the bottom, single bed on the top bunkbed. The sheets were clean, and the bed was comfortable - no gross linens, no strange springs hitting you in the back. I would bring your own towel, apparently they charge extra for usage of the towels. There was also a small TV in the room. There is free Wifi, but it doesn't work super well - was intermittent and slow when I stayed there.

The bathroom was a bit...gross. Smelled and reminded me of a boy's dorm bathroom - no gross visuals, just an icky feeling. I opted out of taking a shower. There is a bathroom in each hall, single toliet and shower. There are video cameras EVERYWHERE - a bit creepy feeling. Also, lots of intense signs yelling at you visually about the various reasons for which you'll be charged 40 extra bucks, including running the laundry late at night, not doing your dishes, drinking alcohol in the common area, and not following the letter of the law for checkout.

Honestly, it's solid for 22 bucks a night - just a bit of a terrible atmosphere. Way better than camping in a crappy tent in the rain, but not super friendly. If I came back, I might check out one of the other hostels just to see if they are a little less angry feeling.

• Stayed October 2011