“A little strange - bad vibe, but cheap price and decent location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Camelot Inn & Hostel

Camelot Inn & Hostel
You added Camelot Inn & Hostel to your Saves list
Camelot Inn & Hostel
165 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Thorne Bay, Alaska
“A little strange - bad vibe, but cheap price and decent location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The booking can only be done online. A friend booked for us, and it seemed easy enough. The guest house website was a bit of a nightmare. We stayed in the blue and bright yellow inn/hostel building.

The room was about 22 per person for a 2 person room with a double bed on the bottom, single bed on the top bunkbed. The sheets were clean, and the bed was comfortable - no gross linens, no strange springs hitting you in the back. I would bring your own towel, apparently they charge extra for usage of the towels. There was also a small TV in the room. There is free Wifi, but it doesn't work super well - was intermittent and slow when I stayed there.

The bathroom was a bit...gross. Smelled and reminded me of a boy's dorm bathroom - no gross visuals, just an icky feeling. I opted out of taking a shower. There is a bathroom in each hall, single toliet and shower. There are video cameras EVERYWHERE - a bit creepy feeling. Also, lots of intense signs yelling at you visually about the various reasons for which you'll be charged 40 extra bucks, including running the laundry late at night, not doing your dishes, drinking alcohol in the common area, and not following the letter of the law for checkout.

Honestly, it's solid for 22 bucks a night - just a bit of a terrible atmosphere. Way better than camping in a crappy tent in the rain, but not super friendly. If I came back, I might check out one of the other hostels just to see if they are a little less angry feeling.

• Stayed October 2011

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I have never been so DISGUSTED in my entire life, the whole ordeal was UNPROFESSIONAL and SHOCKING our credid card was supposedly declined, after booking three days in advance but we were offered no proof and charged extra, even though we had been there earlier that day to drop off our luggage. He was not willing to accept an alternative card, and we did not have enough cash on us at the time. Auther (the owner) became very agressive and rude, telling us to leave the property even though we offered to go and get cash for him. Leaving to young girls stranded on the street at 6PM. We were then warmly welcomed by The Avenues Hostel who were so kind and provided a fantastic service, that i would recommend to anyone. All I can say is that i would never advise anyone to stay at the 800 south Guest House, and i cant understand how they have any guests after the way we were treated.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Salt Lake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I was very frustrated by the pricing, I was told that the price of staying daily would be ~ $170 a week, with a 10% discount if I booked a whole week, but for 4 days it was $120, that is 210 a week! I was actually looking for apartments, he advertises that it is 340 to stay for a month, but it is just a lure, because he doesn't have monthly vacancies for you. The location is in a seedy part of town, I can clearly hear the every breath of a man on the furthest opposite corner of this building, and everything inbetween. This is not a nice place, and they are kinda shiisty and try take advantage of you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was traveling from Portland to Denver and decided to stay for a couple days in Salt Lake City. I didn't really have any plans and I had never been to SLC before. It was around 11pm or so when I got referred to this place by another hostel that was full for the evening. I called the number, but nobody answered so I left a message. A few minutes later, my cell phone rang and it was Camelot, inquiring if I needed a room. Everything was handled over the phone. I was given a key code to let myself in, and got a private room with a bunk bed for a very reasonable price. Inside the building, I found a communal kitchen and a couple bathrooms with showers. If I had wanted to, I could have bought groceries and cooked food on the stove or in the nuker as long as I cleaned up my mess. But I was on vacation so I ended up eating out. The building looked old, but the room was clean. Granted, this was NOT the Hilton or the Carlton Ritz, and I did not expect it to be so. However, because of the way it is set up with the key-code doors and security cameras, I felt very safe. I ended up staying another night, and found out that they also rented cheap bicycles for the day! Since I had no other means of transportation I felt this was a really great service. To be sure, the bike was a P.O.S. Walmart special that didn't shift right, and the seat was too low, but it sure beat walking and the price was right on. I personally enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to budget minded travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
ARVADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

The house can't be missed because its yellow color stands out. It's very close to the light rail line. The ceiling fan helped me sleep well at night. I felt like I was at home. Dwight Palas

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I had a surreal experience at the hostel and left feeling most violated and insulted.

I stayed at this place one night and it was not eventful. The next day, my plan to stay with a friend fell through at the last minute and I had to drive back to the hostel around midnight. I entered the building with the same security code that I was provided the night before. The check-in computer did not allow me to pay online. I felt the only choice I had was to wait until the next morning to pay the staff in person.

The next morning I waited until 10am when the staff arrive to pay for my stay, but was told there will be a penalty payment for paying in person. I felt that my honesty was being penalized. Someone else in my situation could have simply left before 10am without paying. I asked the staff to waive the penalty, and he said he understands my point but knew from experience that the owner would not. I asked him to call the owner.

To my greatest surprise, as soon as I said hi into the receiver, the owner on the other end of the phone was yelling - "you do not do this! you trespassing! you pay penalty or I call the police! I know everything about you! You do this in your country, but here in America, I call the police and the police arrest you! Tow your car!" on and on and on.

I tried my best to calmly explain the situation, how I got in so late that I didn't have any way to pay before staying and why I shouldn't be punished for being honest. This was no use. He was not listening and the verbal abuse continued.

Either the Salt Lake city police force was the stellar example of the country or there was some special reason behind it, the police officer promptly showed up in 5 minutes, still on the phone with the owner DIRECTLY. Once the officer's off the phone with the owner, he asked for my name and birthday, and told me that he would arrest me for trespassing the hotel property, have my car towed and bill me for it, and I can tell my story to the judge. Or, the owner was willing to drop all charges if I pay the penalty. I tried to explain the situation and that the owner insulted me, but the police officer insisted that my options were to pay, or get arrested.

I don't know enough about the legal system to know if the police officer had ground to arrest me for entering a hotel property and wanting to pay for my room. But I am an immigrant and didn't want any arrest record. So, with tail between my legs, I swallow my principal and my pride, paid the penalty and left the place feeling utterly disgusted.

I then recalled a similar situation with the police when I was traveling in Kenya, and remembered with bitterness that I was able to reason my way out of that corrupted country without having to pay any bribery. Who knew, this is America!

Come to this hostel if you enjoy humiliation.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

The hostel is small and no-frills. The outside looks a little weird (brightly colored paints) but inside it's quite acceptable. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Bathrooms also clean and updated. Nice kitchen, TV, etc. The self-check-in was easy to use. They don't accept "walk-ins" which I think discourages bums. Very cheap cost, it's a bargain really. There was an interesting mix of young people from various countries and a few random Americans. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business