“Nice and clean, but watch out for the surrounding area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown

You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   423 West 300 South (Broadway), Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Military Family Rate
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice and clean, but watch out for the surrounding area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel was fine, very clean; breakfast was the typical Homewood Suites (OK); unfortunately they don't have the Manager's Reception on weekends so that was a slight disappointment. My only negative comment has nothing to do with the hotel or management, but with the area. I don't know if this is always the case or not, but there was a large group of people around Pioneer Square and back on Rio Grand street, actually a little scary to me and quite a few asking for cash. I was with my husband and we weren't out after dark, but nonetheless I felt a little nervous walking to and from dinner - which is one of the reasons we stayed downtown. This is the reason for my 'Poor' rating on Location - sorry to do that, since this really shouldn't be the case -

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your recent stay with us in Salt Lake City. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your room and our breakfast selections. Please accept our sincere apology for your experience with people loitering near our property. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your comments will help us to work with our security team to ensure the safety of our hotel. We work diligently to provide a safe space for our guests and apologize if ou felt in any way unsafe. If I may be of further assistance please feel free to conact myself or our General Manager.
Thank you again and we hope you return to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm a clean freak... and this hotel was clean. The staff was welcoming and the room was comfortable. And the bed - usually not the best - this bed was great. I'd stay there again and refer it to others.

Room Tip: Pool is on the roof, so ask for a high floor - great views of the city
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review! We'd love to have you back!
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our one bedroom suite was well furnished and comfortable, and the staff was efficient and friendly. That was even true when I complained about the water temperature not being hot enough to take a comfortable shower. They didn't question or seem surprised by my water complaint, instantly gave me a reduced room rate, and the hot water temperature was fixed immediately. Is water temperature a known issue?

The free breakfast buffet was fresh, generous, and tasty.

Note also that the hotel is located very near services for the homeless and indigent. As a result, during daylight hours people are sleeping and lounging throughout Pioneer Park and along the sidewalks less than 1/2 block from the hotel. We were never hassled by anyone, but it didn't add to the hotel ambience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! So glad to hear you loved breakast offerings! Hope you return to us soon!
Boechout, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We (family of three) stayed for the night last week of august.

As we had just flown in from Paris, sleeping off our jet lag was the main goal.

We thought the hotel was good price for value: nice big room with its own kitchen, twxo big flat screens, nice bathroom. Neither of us are tight sleepers, so we appreciated the good acoustic isolation of the rooms. Only the amtrak passing every few hours did wake us, but to us Europeans this sound has some charm.

The free underground parking was very convenient.

Breakfast was abundant, the breakfast room itself functional, not cosy.

In short: good price for value place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I've always wanted to go to Paris! Thank you for your review! We'd love to have you return as our guest, hope we can accommodate you again soon!
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here August 2011 while attending a convention. I shared this 2 bedroom suite with my 2 nephews, allowing each of us our own bed. It had all the amenities of home. I liked the living room feature with the sofa and TV, allowing us to congregate and chat, or watch TV as a group.
The individual bedrooms also had their own TV's. The room with 2 beds was good sized.
I grabbed the king bed side of the suite and I loved it. That room was spacious. I also liked the full size refrigerator, allowing us to keep cold water bottles on hand, besides cold beer. We didn't use anything besides the microwave and fridge. We had shopped for stuff to have in the room in the event we got hungry(chips, donuts,etc.) I enjoyed the coffee in the mornings, along with the hot breakfast. I missed most of the evening buffets, which some of them I regretted. The location was good, as I drove to the convention center. I didn't worry about walking around the neighborhood, because I didn't have that need. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to use the gym or the pool.
I did like the fact that our suite opened onto the roof. In the evening when everything settled down for me, I was able to go outside and watch the neighborhood below , and the park across the street, all the time while enjoying a cigar without bothering anyone.
All in all, I found this place a good place to stay,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Sounds like you really enjoyed your stay here with us! I shared your review with our staff and they loved the fact that you each were so comfortable and you said it felt like home.
We sure hope you return to see us again soon!
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The good: The rooms are clean, spacious and are typical Homewood with the kitchen, full refrigerator, etc. I didn't eat the breakfast or dinner, but both appeared to be well received. The hotel itself is connected to a Sports Bar and Grill called Iggy's which has great food and a nice atmosphere. There is also a Sushi place next door and a Buca di Peppo and PF Changs a short walk away, along with a few other restaurants.

The bad: The front desk clerk couldn't have been more cold upon check-in. Sure, I arrived about an hour before the check-in time, but her first words "well it's early, I'll have to see if I have a room ready." Nothing along the lines of "let me see what I can do for you." She was just very indifferent and you could tell she couldn't have cared less that I was at the hotel. Although I'm a Hilton Diamond member, I never expect anyone to bend over backwards, but a little courtesy goes a long way which this clerk didn't have. This property does have a lot of homeless people hanging around during the day and especially at night. Although harmless, it's a little disturbing when you're not from Salt Lake.

Overall the property is great and I would return next time I'm in Salt Lake.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Arrived in SLC after 22 hours on planes, and was delighted by my suite at Homewood. Spacious with a small kitchen (with every utensil, toater, coffee maker, dishwasher and detergent etc). Lounge area with couches, coffee table and very large plasma screen with a dvd player. Fridge was very large and well chilled with ice already placed in the top freezer.

Seperate bedroom with a large queen bed, bathroom with bath/shower facilities and a seperate dressing table and another monstrous plasma in the bedroom. Good size closet plus iron and board. I only made use of the morning breakfast twice and it's fairly basic but nice. Waffles, bagels etc with spreads, juices, coffee bar and a very nice fruit salad and yoghurt station. The two hot dishes every morning didn't appeal to me as it seemed to look overcooked and greasy. That said, one can fill up with bagels and fresh fruit and hit the day. Room cleaners were really good, and my room was always made up when I returned to my room in the afternoons and products like used soaps, body lotios etc were replaced daily.

On a less positive note, I thought the reception ladies were incredibly efficient, but looked slightly disinterested/bored and a irritated when asked a question. They were all efficient enough, it just didn't look like they were loving life or their jobs much. Good laundry room and pool and great downtown location that is nice and in a quiet but very central part of the city.

If reception can pick up their "mojo" it would be a definite that I would return to this hotel! Also a great gym on third floor and very clean laundry room on fourth floor. I never made use of the complimentary "dinner of the night" with drinks option as it's served very early from 5pm to 7pm, but would be great for families. All in all, great stay and don't be put off by previous reviews mentioning the homeless people in Pioneer park, they look harmless and only hang in the park in daytime as there is a shelter where they go at night, so certainly not a hindrance or a danger, plus there is a police station right next to Homewood suites!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Loved your review! Not because you gave us great reviews, but because you really took the time to describe your experience. You mentioned everything we have and how you were able to utilize or not, but you knew we had it for you. Also as a woman traveler you mentioned your experience witht the homeless in the area. We are very grateflul for the time you took to share and help our hotel team grow in a positive direction. Thank you! Thank you!

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown? Share your experiences!