“Great Friday Evening Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Midway, Utah
“Great Friday Evening Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Bayou bases itself on serving great Cajun and Creole cuisine. It actually delivers, but I'm from the South. From Mississippi. And not only do I know really good Louisiana cuisine, I can actually cook it. The only reason I bring this up is because the only negative thing I'll say about Bayou's menu is I come from an area of the country with extremely intense flavor. And while Bayou is good, I think the kitchen could "let go" a bit and intensify the flavor of their food. They're just a bit...tentative... It tastes really good, but could be more intense.

Service wasn't bad, but could be just a tad bit friendlier. Our server was a young girl with tattoos on both arms who really didn't seem to care whether we were there or not...but she wasn't rude, so please don't misunderstand. I just like a friendly server.

There is a HUGE beer selection. Their menu says "Welcome to Beervana." What more can you ask for in that???

They also offer live music, and I suggest if you want a table to get there early enough. Great atmosphere. By time we left to go and tour a haunted house, it was shoulder-to-shoulder standing room only.

Visited October 2012

Southampton, England
“Atmospheric, tasty and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We ate here during our one night in SLC, following a bit of research, and were glad we did. Bayou advertises itself as a kind of beer heaven and its not lying - the beer menu is immense, full of everything from straight-laced pilsners to mental pumpkin ales (which was yummy). The food itself was very tasty - a southern/Mexican feel to things. The staff were friendly and attentive and the place had a great atmosphere.

If we're ever in SLC again we'll definitely go back.

Salt Lake City
“Try one.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I would like to meet the person who has achieved the grand accomplishment of trying every beer on The Bayous menu. Huge selection. It is very cozy seating (I would only not recommend it to claustrophobics).

Visited December 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Heard you can't get a beer in SLC?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Heard you can't get a beer in Salt Lake City? The Bayou will prove you wrong. This is one of my favorite places to take visitors who have misconceptions about drinking in Utah. The Bayou's constantly changing beer menu (honestly, it's a huge Beer Bible) features beer and cider from all over the world. (And they have a decent selection of wine and a full bar for those who don't like the heavy stuff.)

The Bayou has an extensive food menu with a Cajun bent. I highly recommend the jambalaya. It's buttery and has a decent kick of spiciness. My husband swears by their weekly specials--featuring creative pizzas, tacos, pasta, and barbecue. He rarely orders off of the regular menu. If you're just looking for appetizers, you can't go wrong with their 50/50 fries (half regular potoato, half sweet potato). It comes with a spicy version of that Utah favorite--fry sauce.

This isn't the place to come for an intimate conversation. It's LOUD, especially as it fills up on weekends and the house music starts. But the service is generally friendly and always knowledgeable about the beer list. It's also a place where pretty much any beer drinker (young or old) will feel welcome.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Unique Beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Do you like balls? What about seafood balls--because they are delicious! Pair that with a large delicious Belgian or a unique beer from the grandiose selection and enjoy the rest of a great night.

Visited September 2012