“Fabulous food !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Roof Restaurant

The Roof Restaurant
15 E South Temple, 10th Floor, Joseph Smith Memorial Building, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-9002
+1 801-539-1911
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Roof Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,100 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
Description: The Roof Restaurant is Utah's premier gourmet dining buffet located on the 10th floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. With breathtaking views of Temple Square and Downtown Salt Lake City, The Roof is a fusion of inspiring views and extravagant food. The menu includes exciting international cuisine that changes daily!
West Bountiful, Utah
“Fabulous food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The best I have ever had ! The most gorgeous view. Beautiful piano music playing. Very refined. So many food and beverage choices.

Visited January 2013

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Like stepping back in time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

When you walk into this restaurant, in the heart of SLC, it feels like you stepped back into the seventies. The buffet is generous, but the food itself is average. The old man at the piano has been there for 40 years. The view is incredible. and there is no alcohol served, as is the custom in many of the SLC restaurants.

Visited March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Overpriced Buffet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went to The Roof Restaurant last night (a Temple Square Hospitality Corporation) it has been several (10+ years) since we had been. When you first walk in, there is sign saying to help accommodate the most guests your time in the Restaurant will be limited to 90 Minutes, starting at your reservation time. So immediately I am feeling like the restaurant is putting their needs and wants above me the current customer. The host politely seated us and told us our server would be around shortly to explain things and take any drink orders. I actually felt anxiety as we waited for the server to come, knowing that the clock was ticking and we now only had 80 minutes left to eat! Would we make it in time? I have never felt this way at any other place I have dined.

The last time we had been to the Roof it was around $25 per buffet. Last night the bill for two came to $102.90 for two adults ($39.95 each plus tax, and the shocker for me, a forced 18% Gratuity) nothing to drink but water. I had read Gratuity’s were only added for parties of 8 or more. I know that there are differing opinions about tips, but have always felt that at a buffet you are serving yourself and the tip for the person to clear your plates should not be as high as a full service restaurant, and once you force it on the bill, it no longer fits the definition of Gratuity, it is a service fee.

This buffet is definitely not a $100 buffet! The atmosphere is great, if you enjoy looking at the temple and downtown buildings. The service was also good, water was kept full, and plates cleared from the table. However, I found it odd that it took around 10 minutes to get my credit card back when I paid the bill.

The food was presented well, but I found most of the dishes bland, and a bit dried out. Seems like the food may have been prepared cafeteria style and had been sitting in food warmers for a while? I have had better Prime Rib in Wendover. I like buffets in general, and I am not just saying this because of the bill amount, but I have had tastier food at Chuck-o-Rama, it just did not have the view, and presentation, or forced gratuity.

If you are looking for a good buffet style dinner a favorite of mine is Tucanos, downtown SLC in the Gateway Mall. The atmosphere is lively, has an awesome salad bar selection, and they bring the meat selection around to your table all for around $25 per person. In my opinion the food tastes way better than The Roof.

Sorry The Roof Restaurant, even with the views, the quality of the food does not warrant the price or the forced gratuity, so I will not be back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fabulous for a special night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Went here to celebrate my husbands and my birthday. It was really a nice atmosphere and even without a reservation, it only took 20-30 minutes to be seated on a Saturday night. We loved the live piano music and how it really set the tone for fine dining. The server, katy, was great at refreshing our drinks and making sure or needs were met. Most of the good was really good. The flank steak was on the tough side and the pork was as well. The dessert spread was great and I just had to try a little of everything.
The view was the most spectacular feature of the night. Luckily the sky was clear and we saw across the whole valley.
The price was quite steep, but we had a free meal card for one of us, making it easier to swallow.
Definitely a great place to go for a special occasion and a place I would like to return to if only I could afford it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Best view in Salt Lake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I attended a conference and was invited for dinner here with a group of colleagues. The view is fantastic - overlooking the Mormon Temple. This restaurant does not serve alcohol but has lots of tasty alcohol free drinks on the menu - I tried the cranberry orange juice combination. The service was great and dessert selection endless! Great buffet to serve all different culinary tastes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere