“Bambara - a very CLASSY and Hard-working Restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bambara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,227 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, International
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 200 South
Transit: TRAX stop on Main Street Between 200-300 South UTA Bus Stop on 200 South at Main Street
Description: Bambara: A Salt Lake City Restaurant Celebrating Past and Present With a tempting New American Bistro menu featuring a "World of Flavors" and a playful sense of whimsy and style, Bambara is one of downtown Salt Lake City's liveliest restaurants. Housed in the historic Continental Bank lobby, Bambara Salt Lake City expertly melds a sense of tradition with a very contemporary energy, at once colorful and elegant. Located in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, our nationally recognized, award-winning restaurant has attracted a devoted following that expands daily.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Bambara - a very CLASSY and Hard-working Restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Bambara is one of Salt Lake City's finest restaurants. Yet it is in the Monaco Hotel, and serves as the hotel restaurant for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, seven days a week. That's what I mean by hard-working. These folks churn out the food all day long, every day. I have never been there for breakfast or lunch, just dinner, and I've been there about 10 times. All the times I have been there, I have not been disappointed. The menu is always interesting and seasonable, accentuating local produce & products as much as possible. The chefs are creative! I often order scallops (at what ever restaurant I go to if the preparation sounds good), and I had the very best scallop dish I have ever eaten at Bambara...Presentation of all the dishes is usually lovely. Décor is modern & chic. They have to charge a $10 "corkage" fee when you bring your own bottle of wine - which is annoying, but at least you CAN BRING your own wine. It's a unique "Utah" thing. It's not actually that bad! This way you can bring in a $15 bottle of wine (that they would charge you $35 for), then when you add the corkage it rounds out at a $25 cost with the cost of the 'corkage' along with your own bottle. Bambara DOES have valet parking! And that's the best way to go with the way the parking meters are these days in SLC and the LACK of free parking downtown. So - I highly recommend Bambara! I can not vouch for the Hotel Monaco, but I have heard these 'boutique' hotels are quite nice! There are a few Hotel Monacos around the country, apparently. OH! And if you have a special occaision & let them know ahead of time - they will do something special, print up your own personalized menu, decorate your dessert plate in a special way, etc. Many of the wait staff there have been there for over 10 years...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A second visit that....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

.... Missed the mark! Maybe because our first visit was so exceptional We were expecting more. The food was good however the service was mediocre and, indifferent, and slightly rushing. For a $200 plus tab I was
expecting the old Bandera that we visited last fall. Maybe last time we just missed the things that others
have noted, But the waitet msde the difference.

It is the first time in pver 10 years we did not leave a 20% gratuity.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Outstanding food with high end coffee shop seating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We were disappointed that the quality, preparation and presentation of the food were not matched by the ambiance. The booths are cramped and arranged with a dividing partition mutch like a coffee shop, albeit a high end and expensive coffee shop. Parking is not well explained by the website or the hostess. It is in the hotel located in the same ex-bank building. We could not find it and got very lucky to find some street parking about three blocks away. The service was friendly, but the bar did not have stock of all the liquor listed on the list and we were again disappointed. The food is simply great but to be a world class restaurant needs more than great food, it needs a great personality. From the hostess to the wait staff there was no personality. Such a disappointment at such high prices!

Visited September 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
“Nice evening.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a nice meal last night, though I admit I'm somewhat disappointed. First of all, the restaurant is inside the Hotel Monaco at the corner of Main and 200. We drove past it several times not knowing that. Also, there is no valet and parking is a problem... we ended up parking several blocks away with me in my high heels.
Cool, chic interior, but the lighting is like a family restaurant. Huh?
Tomato salads were good, not the best I've ever had. I got chicken and shrimp for an entree and hubby got the salmon. Both were very nice, but nothing to wow you.
The service was efficient if not friendly.
The average rating is because I expected more for the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Carlsbad, California
“Foodies must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Took a customer for dinner and it was just fabulous in every aspect. They made us feel like we were their only guests there. The food was probably the best I have ever had. The beet salad leaves you wanting more of it. The house fresh potato chips are to die for! Worth every penny and made my business dinner even better!

• Visited August 2013