“Still excellent after all these years” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Vegetarian
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Syracuse, New York
“Still excellent after all these years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I moved away from UT in the late 1990's. However, in the mid 1990's I ate at the Sampan at least a dozen times for various reasons and was never disappointed, nor were those I ate with. I have eaten here twice in the last year when I returned to UT and there have been some changes but it is still excellent. I do not agree with some comments that claim it has gone downhill, unless I always catch them on good days (or others on bad days).

The food is great, reasonably priced, and the service is OK. I can get items that are not overly fried, that taste great, and we can share our entrees the way the Sampan serves the food. This place is not the top notch fine dining, but for simple dinning for great Chinese food definite thumbs up. I will be returning on my next visit to SLC.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Portland, Oregon
“Fallen Gem”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

For years this was a favorite Chinese restaurant in the area - but I hadn't been there in a while. We returned several times in the past few months craving good Chinese food, but won't be going back again. The fried dishes consistently smelled like old oil, and after our last visit, both of us got sick. Bummer.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Layton, Utah
“High-end Chinese without the high-end prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My hubby craves their General Tao's chicken, and I adore their Curry Chicken. The ambiance is a lovely, low-light setting with cozy booths, low or high tables and warm decor. The waitstaff is efficient and friendly. Your brought crispy wonton strips to dip in a sweet and sour sauce until your appetizer or meal arrives. The meals are served family style, so that you can share your dish if you choose. The location is convenient and just a short ride from hotels located by the airport. Bring your sweetheart and your appetite.

Visited December 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Our favorite place for Chinese take out or delivery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I have been ordering take out from Sampan for 11 years now. We love the General Tsao's Chicken, Chicken lo mein, pot stickers and egg rolls. It's definitely our favorite place for Chinese take out or delivery.

Visited September 2011
Mytchett, United Kingdom
“Did cope well with the half full resturant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Needed more staff, to cater for all the Chinese who turned up by coach. The food was ample but greasy, and wouldnt go again, I have been to some great Chinese restaurants in the US and this was not one.

Visited October 2011