“Good hotel, but a big out of the city.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #50 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wolverhampton
“Good hotel, but a big out of the city.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Only there for one night, nice hotel but a bit out of the centre. Good rooms, coffee maker,swimming pool, wifi very clean well Kept we were taken into the city but there were busses or you could walk but quite away

Room Tip: Lovely city, on a tour so only there one night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Richmond, BC,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two days during a conference in Salt Lake City. I arrived at the hotel around 6:30 in the evening and was provided with a 12th floor room in their tower. This was sounding pretty good until I opened the door to the room and discovered that it had not been cleaned after the previous guest’s departure.

This has happened before on my travels and I try not to let it bother me. After all, people make mistakes and really this is such a minor thing.

So, of course back down I go to the lobby, get another room assigned (yes, also on the 12th floor) and finally get settled into a clean room around 7 pm or so. The only glitch was that there was no caffeinated coffee in the room which was remedied by a quick call to the front desk.

The next day I awake, make coffee, go through my morning routine and then head out for my day.

Upon my return I discover that the creamer I spilled by the coffee machine in the morning had not been cleaned up. The coffee grounds had not been removed from the coffee maker nor had the coffee pot been washed out. Yes, you guessed it; the caffeinated coffee had also not been replenished. However, housekeeping had provided three packs yesterday so I was still good.

The bed was remade and the towels I used replenished but it was apparent that no real wiping down or cleaning of surfaces had occurred. This concerns me.

Is the lack of cleaning in this room related to the issue of the first room I was given being uncleaned? I don't know if there is a correlation but I do know I'm not happy knowing that minimal cleaning has occurred in the room I'm currently in.

The hotel restaurant is fine, the buffet breakfast fast and affordable, the desk staff very helpful.

It would be nice to have real glass glasses in the room instead of plastic and real glass cups for coffee or tea instead of Styrofoam as well. However, these issues are small and I feel can be overlooked based on the overall room cost.

The location is great for a convention. A longish six block or so walk to the Salt Palace but doable and quite enjoyable in good weather. It's conveniently located as far as driving is concerned and there is ample free parking.

So, overall the hotel offers good value. But in our present times with concerns of global health issues I feel more attention needs to be paid in regard to housekeeping at this location. If you stay here you may want to carry some Handy Wipes for some extra piece of mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower. You'll get great views of the city.
Green Features: I'm not sure that they have any environmentally friendly practices other than to not use cleaning supplies at all. This probably saves them a substantial amount of money overall, however, I'm not certain it is very healthy or sanitary.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We had to take this trip with the dogs as we were moving to a new city. I understand that limits our choices in hotels, but take that as part of the deal. I had stayed at various Red Lions before and thought they were fine, so this had the location we needed as well as the parking we needed. Check in was fine, even though they were very busy. We got up to the room and which was small, but that's okay, it's just for the night. However, it didn't appeared that the floor had been vacuumed as my dogs promptly found (and ate) pistachios, pistachio shells and other various debris that was surrounding the chair and bed. The bathroom was okay, but also needed to have a thorough cleaning. It was a comfortable bed, and we liked being able to open the screen to the small deck. I wouldn't choose this place again unless I was traveling with dogs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Check in was great.The mattress was super comfy. Only problem was a mysterious wet spot on one of the beds. I just used the other bed so no problem. I did not get the promised wake up call but I was up anyway so turned out okay. This was a super value.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Salt Lake City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We usually stay at Choice Hotels, but the one located in SLC didn't have a pool, so we decided to try out RLH. I was also happy that they had a diner located inside so we didn't have to drive that far. Boy, did we make a mistake staying here!

Upon arrival the girl at the front couldn't find our reservation and she was not friendly. My husband had to come out to the car to get my cell phone because I had the reservation number on my phone. We checked in and went straight to Red's Diner. We were seated right away. The diner was not busy at all, maybe 3 or 4 other tables and there was at least 3 other waitresses. After 10 minutes my husband had to ask for service. The lady took our order and it did arrive fast. But we never saw the lady again until she gave us our check. We were never asked how our meal was or asked for refills on our drinks. The diner did get a few more quests, but it wasn't out of control busy that you completely forget about your current tables. After I received our bill I took it to the front to pay and the lady mumbled something I couldn't understand and asked how I was paying. I told her I had no clue, cause I had no idea how much my bill was. All I was given by our waitress was the scratch paper she wrote our order on with no prices. I received my total, paid and left

We went to our room where it was clean and good in size. The bathroom though smelled like pee, the toilet took multiple times to flush and we were given less than half a roll of toilet paper. I did call the front desk for another roll and housekeeping arrived promptly with a fresh roll.

The wif was horrible! You would get a signal and then it would go out or it wasn't strong enough. I eventually gave up trying to connect. Our room was right above the swimming pool and before we left to go down to it, nobody was in it, nothing was going on. My 6 year old changed into his swimming trunks and we walked down to the front desk, but on a Monday night at 8 pm the pool was closed for a wedding. Such a bummer when that was one of our reasons for booking at the hotel.

The rest of our evening in our room was decent. The tv worked great and the beds were comfortable. We

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Natchitoches
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Ultra clean! Our room appeared to be recently renovated. Nice pool. We took advantage of the convenient, on-property diner and enjoyed some good food - especially the hamburger. The diner also offers a breakfast buffet for about $10 per person. The hotel is not far from Temple Square.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Ramon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Loved my three day stay! Parking was great, location convenient, room felt like an executive suite, hot breakfast was very good (small fee), staff was helpful and friendly, the wall to wall view of the mountains was awesome!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Been to Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown? Share your experiences!