“Very clean and spacious rooms, excellent breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 West 600 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Ranked #50 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Havelock North, New Zealand
“Very clean and spacious rooms, excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Another Very long day of travel, got lost and ended up close to this hotel. After checking out another couple close by we decided to try our luck here, honestly thinking that it was going to be out of our price range. A wonderful receptionist who clearly could see we were exhausted; showed us a couple of room options and came up with a great deal to include breakfast.
Very big room, king bed that was so comfy..... didn't want to leave it! Had a great view towards the mountains and on 10th floor had a small balcony that opened to allow fresh air in - great bonus. Good shower. Very clean throughout the hotel. The breakfast was indeed excellent (as promised). the usual selection but the cooked option was great: scramble eggs, real bacon, real sausages that tasted great and real potatoes :-) very yum.
Good location in downtown to explore Temple Sq etc. Easy and plenty of parking. Excellent value and would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and views to the Mountains. Also the centre rooms are more spacious than the co...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Salt Lake City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Management needs to review their on site, personnel at the front desk at night. The young dark haired woman was very disrespectful and lucky I was not feeling like letting her know how I felt. I am not one to go tit for tat on simple matters that could have been resolved much more professionally. I'm in the customer service business and she was horrible. Very rude and tacky, letting her real prejudices come out not knowing who she was dealing with. I'm a professional and don't wear my feelings on my shirt sleeve.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Steve H, Assitant General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. On behalf of the entire Red Lion team, please accept our apology for the treatment described in your review. We too would be upset with the kind of service you mentioned, and it is a far cry from the warm, courteous and inviting welcome we strive to give. Please know that we take your feedback seriously, and it will be shared with all our associates here at the hotel so that we may avoid a similar incidence. You and all of our guests deserve the highest courtesy and respect, and your remarks will be a lesson to us all. We remain optimistic that you will give us another try and that your next stay will be much improved. Have a wonderful day, and we hope to hear from you soon.
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Nice hotel, a little older but in good condition. Friendly staff, clean rooms, good parking, close to major attractions in downtown Slat Lake City.

Reasonably priced, food was excellent, good overall value

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Stansted UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Big rooms. Efficient Lifts. Free WiFi. Nice querky diner for good value evening meals & breakfast. BUT Evening service was poor & unfriendly. Food not good. Food at Breakfast was good. 10 mins walk from the free tram that takes you to the Temple Square Centre.
In the Lobby there is a sign that says ‘we want to be No1 on Tripadvisor’ They need to change quite a bit. We stayed 2 nights and the housekeeping was poor. Bed not properly made and Coffee maker left dirty.
In short the hotel has the physical side ok but the staff are rubbish apart from the guy that runs breakfast and he was working his socks off

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Greetings and thanks for your review on your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. We’re glad to know you found the accommodations and food to your liking. We also appreciate knowing your feelings about the service. Yes, we do want to be #1 on TripAdvisor, and it looks like we have some improving to do. We have our sleeves rolled up and are ready for this exciting challenge. Thank you, again, for your patronage and feedback. We apologize for any unpleasantness you experienced during you stay as we wish you only fond memories. We do hope to see you again soon. Cheers, and have a wonderful day!
Logan, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have around 20-30 hotel days in any given year. Unless something drastically changes at Red Lion in SLC, I'll never stay again.The last time I stayed here was in 2007-and it was bad, but getting remodeled,so I hoped it would improve.I was hopeful because I read many responses from the manager. I also selected a "Premium King" and hoped for a decent room.

There was no convenient parking near the lobby, so I parked in the back. It was concerning to see that you could walk right into the back of the hotel, and up the stairs to the rooms as the doors were not locked. The parking lot and the back hallway of the hotel had several sketchy people.

(When we stayed in 2007, our car was broken into and Red Lion employees shrugged their shoulders and said there are a lot of homeless in the area.)

The hallways smelled bad and the elevator looked like someone had tried kicking it in.

In my first room, the bedding and towels appeared to be dirty-either they weren't laundered well and had stains,or they had not been replaced.There were also bottle caps on the balcony and on the side of the bed. There was a large gap in the sliding glass door that allowed cold air and even wind in the room.

My biggest issue was that when I opened the privacy curtains I saw large bugs on the curtains and dead bugs on the floor.The dead bugs looked like they had been there for some time. When I called the front desk, the clerk casually stated they are Box Elder bugs and they get some of those in the fall and they're harmless.I told her I know what a Box Elder bug looks like, and these were not Box Elder bugs-but something much, much larger-about the size and length of my thumb.I told her I would not be able to sleep in this room.(I thought they might be cockroaches, so I looked it up and they are Squash or Leaffooted bugs) The maintenance guy came up within a few minutes and also seemed startled by the bugs. I'm guessing they came in through the large gap in the sliding glass door, but wonder why housekeeping didn't notice them and/or vacuum them up?

I moved rooms, one floor down. Once again, the room smelled awful, but the towels and bedding were clean, the floor appeared to be vacuumed, and there were no bugs. The internet service kept disconnecting. The curtains were in tatters, furniture had stains, and it appeared someone threw a soda at the wall in the bathroom. There was absolutely no water pressure for a shower.

I used the fitness room. The treadmill I used only partially worked. They put out a couple of fans because the room was warm-but they were in use by others when I got there. There were no hooks for jackets.

Two other friends also stayed here for the same meeting. One friend had a couple walk into her room, while she was in the tub. They were given the room key by the front desk. When she called the front desk, they denied giving the couple the key.

Both friends reported their rooms were filthy and smelled bad. One friend said that it was very noisy in their hallway with people coming and going all night.

Salt Lake area has over a 100 hotels. I won't stay at Red Lion again.

As a positive, the maintenance guy was friendly. I feel sorry for him as well as the manager of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We at the Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown freely welcome feedback from our guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. Our goal is to provide our guests with the most comfortable stay possible, and we can see by your comments that your stay was far from ideal. Please accept our profound apologies for the conditions you described. Your report of insects in the room and a draft should have been responded to and remedied immediately, and there is no excuse for failing to correct such oversights. We are committed to preventing the disturbances you mentioned, and we of course are open to your suggestions for improvements in our Energy Zone and other areas of the hotel. Thank you for letting us know about your visit. While it pains us that your stay was far from satisfying, we hope you experienced a few bright spots on your trip to Salt Lake City. Have a wonderful day, and we do hope you reconsider and visit us in the near future.
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Quick check in, with nice people in the reception!
My room vas clean and okay, but difficult to opend the door to my balcony. The windows was not clean, but the view vas nice.
I didn't use other facilities at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, but some noise from the corridor
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed one night, check in was quick and seamless. Hallways are old and tired, rooms seem to have been updated in the last few years. Room was comfortable and clean. Red Lion Diner had a fantastic omelette! Hotel was easy to fine, in a good location, and free parking is almost a luxury these days. Priced right, I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown? Share your experiences!