“Stayed 2 nights” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Trondheim, Norway
“Stayed 2 nights”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Quick check in, with nice people in the reception!
My room vas clean and okay, but difficult to opend the door to my balcony. The windows was not clean, but the view vas nice.
I didn't use other facilities at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, but some noise from the corridor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed one night, check in was quick and seamless. Hallways are old and tired, rooms seem to have been updated in the last few years. Room was comfortable and clean. Red Lion Diner had a fantastic omelette! Hotel was easy to fine, in a good location, and free parking is almost a luxury these days. Priced right, I would stay there again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for one night while traveling and while the hotel part was decent the diner within the hotel really ruined our experience.
The staff at the front were friendly and got us checked in no problems. Even though we booked through Priceline for a discounted price we still got a clean room with two queen beds. Everything in the room was clean but definitely older and dated.

For dinner we went to "Red's Diner" located in the hotel. To sum it all up in one sentence: "Horrible, inedible food with slow, inattentive service". We got the nachos to start and I immediately realized everything was store bought and thrown together. I could have made much better nachos at home. But whatever, it's a diner not a Mexican restaurant so I let it go, at least they were edible. For our entrees I got "garlic and herb crusted chicken" with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. My sister got a burger and fries. The chicken was dry and tasteless. The mashed potatoes were crusted and you could tell they'd been sitting in a hot pan for hours. The broccoli was microwaved and soggy. My sister only ate her fries because her burger "tasted like nothing". On top of that our server spent his time up at the register talking - I could tell he was avoiding our table because I had not touched my food. I've been a server for 6 years and if I see one of my tables has a problem I try to fix it immediately. His method was to ignore us and hope the problem went away. When he finally came to the table he was trying to get away as quickly as possible. I didn't complain much because that's not my style, I just told him the food was bad and asked him to take it off which he did with no problems. I have a feeling he gets unhappy customers often because the food here is so bad. I asked the front desk and the diner kitchen does the room service also so I'd advise against ordering that if you stay.
I know this is suppose to be about the hotel so other things to note: Parts of the hotel were under construction and very dirty and the wifi was extremely slow. I'd stay here again but go elsewhere to eat.

Stayed October 2013
West Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed at this Red Lion after booking it on Hotwire. For $100 I can't be too terribly disappointed. The Pro's: Location is a nice breezy walk to downtown, Free Parking, Very helpful Staff, clean and Comfortable beds. Cons: Elevator sounds like it needed some serious maintanance. View, I was on the 12th Floor and had a view of not much. Windows, filthy, hadn't been washed in a looong time. I'd say anything over $85 you could do better. There's was nothing horrible about this hotel but nothing spectacular either. Just another older, highrise hotel.

Room Tip: One tower seems more renovated than the other. Ask for newer tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Swanland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We only spent a night in this hotel and didn't really avail ourselves of the services. That said however, we found the room clean and comfortable and had a good nights sleep. We didn't experience any problems during our stay and found the staff we spoke to helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newberg, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stay in and around Salt Lake 6 times a year and wanted to try someplace different than the Hilton family of hotels that continue to raise rates. I found the Red Lion to fall above the Hampton but not as nice as the Garden Inn. I was on the 9th floor and the room was very peacful and had 2 very good nights sleep. Food options are close by and it is a nice walk to downtown shops and mall.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Love this hotel. I always enjoy my stay. Great location, comfortable beds, clean rooms, very accommodating staff for the most part. The only issue I had was that the young gentleman that checked me in did not recognize my membership and refused to allow me to pay cash at check in, which I have been able to do at every other Red Lion I've stayed at. Luckily a friend in my party had a credit card we could put down. What would you have done if I didn't have a credit card to put down? Cash is the most reliable form of payment...... I would like to mention though that Steve, Margie and Latiya (sp?) were very accommodating when we made our reservations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown? Share your experiences!