“Love this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boise, Idaho
“Love this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Love this hotel. I always enjoy my stay. Great location, comfortable beds, clean rooms, very accommodating staff for the most part. The only issue I had was that the young gentleman that checked me in did not recognize my membership and refused to allow me to pay cash at check in, which I have been able to do at every other Red Lion I've stayed at. Luckily a friend in my party had a credit card we could put down. What would you have done if I didn't have a credit card to put down? Cash is the most reliable form of payment...... I would like to mention though that Steve, Margie and Latiya (sp?) were very accommodating when we made our reservations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

What a shame. The Red Lion is a decent hotel in a good location with pleasant helpful staff. The bed was comfortable and the room quite well equipped and then they spoil it with a lack of attention to detail!!!!
Our room had a ripped net curtain. The blind at the end of the corridor was visibly broken and the rubbing strip at the entrance to our room was only attached at the top and came away when caught quite gently. None of these things spoiled our nights sleep or the comfort of our stay but did highlight a worrying lack of attention to detail. Ideally the hotel needs a refurbishment but failing that a change of approach is needed from those responsible for maintenance. It wouldn't take much effort to put this place right.
Other reviewers have commented about a lack of eating options in the area. Actually there is an excellent one. The Bayou is only two blocks a way. We walked and felt safe. They have a stunning range of beers and serve good, well priced cajun food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
St. George, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

In need of renovations.

Staff was great. Not necessarily a bad location but some sketchy folks in the parking area. Very awkward layout. If you have a few beers you might spend some time finding your room. Diner was good. Lobby Lounge feels like a hallway.

A three star. Not really worth over $50 bucks a night.

Decent.....

Room Tip: Shares a parking lot with Brewvies. Cool place
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is my second visit here at this Red Lion. They exceeded my expectations again. I absolutely love this hotel. I travel with two husky puppies which is not always easy. Everytime I turn around someone is grabbing the door for me, or saying hello. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The room service is fantastic as well. I will continue to stay here when I come to visit my U of U student :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Evanston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Red Lion Hotel in Salt Lake City, we booked our room on booking.com. They said it was a king suite for $109.. When we got there they put us in a tiny dirty room.. From our room we called the front desk asking why we were in a small room and they said that is what booking.com booked us when I had the reservation confirmation on my phone.. They said it wasn't there fault that I had booked through a third party place and we had to stay in the small room even after we said we would pay more. We asked for money back or a different room and they said all rooms were full for the night. When my husband called down to the office they promptly changed there tune and put us in a suite and didn't charge us extra after all.. It was still dirty!!! stains on towels...brown stains, just what you want to wash your face with. Carpet was tore up and tv didn't work.. Horrible service! maids were knocking on our door by 8 am!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ITS NASTY!!! AND RUDE PEOPLE!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your various experiences while visiting our property. We apologize that your guest room was uncomfortable due to the size and the lack of cleanliness. I would also like to apologize for any unprofessionalism that was shown to you by our staff. We value you as a guest and make every effort to enhance our guest experience. Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to serving you again!
Belo Horizonte, MG
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel amenities are ok and the service is ok too.
There is a free airport shuttle which is a big plus.
Breakfast is well served for a reasonable price.
Wi-fi works well but sometimes the signal is weak depending on where you are in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello and thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. We’re happy to learn that you had an enjoyable visit and a good breakfast. We’ll do a little polishing on our service so that your next experience will jump from OK to FANTASTIC! And we’ll also take a closer look at our amenities and Wi-Fi to see where we can make improvements. For now, we just wanted to say thanks for your patronage and feedback. Have a wonderful day, and we look forward to your return.
Bedford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked a stay for 3 nights (Thurs-Sat night) so we could attend the first Comic Con in town. First, we were bummed that the shuttles were not really used unless going to the airport. Understandable! So we walked.

The room we got was much smaller than expected- hardly enough room for our luggage and the pac-n-play for the baby to sleep in!

We were on the 4th floor, but we were constantly disturbed by strange, rumbling sounds (as if we were above/below a subway or something). Also I think the walls might just be very thin, because we could hear another family yelling through the hallway. If that wasn't bad enough, housekeeping paid us a visit at 8:17am on Saturday morning.

Though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, the moment we got off the elevator, you could smell that nasty, old tobacco smell. It permeated everything. Pretty gross.
Lastly, the cleaning staff does NOT do a good job at all! In fact, they actually left hair in our shower that was not there before they cleaned (my husband and I both have short hair and there was a long, dark hair under our soap bar AFTER they had come through). The carpet had stains and the chair in the room was ripped (I don't really care about that, but I was worried that they might try to blame it on us and charge us for it, but that did not happen).

OH and the "gym" was in such poor condition. They even had a treadmill situated under a huge ceiling leak; debris was falling on it and water was leaking through all over the power cords... hotel staff wedged a towel underneath it to soak up the water. Super safe. :P

Overall our stay in the hotel was not pleasant at all. I would highly suggest going somewhere else. We were able to get a special friends & family rate, and it still wasn't worth the price we paid. Take your hard-earned money elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us about your recent stay, and please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings described in your review. There is no defense for interrupting a guest’s rest and relaxation, and your comments will serve as a reminder that our guest’s comfort is paramount. Based on your remarks, we completely understand your hesitation to return. Still, we would like to invite you back so that we may have another chance to provide the comfortable stay you expected. Best wishes to you and your family, and have a wonderful day!

Been to Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown? Share your experiences!