“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bellingham, Washington
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to a Convention and it was one of the last hotels available so we were not sure what to expect. Started off awesome when they had a shuttle that came to get us from the airport. Not many hotels downtown do and that saves at least $20 each way. The staff was really friendly and the rooms were surprisingly nice. They have a breakfast buffet downstairs, which you have to pay for but it was worth it. It was about a mile from the Convention center, which was a little far when walking in the rain but it was a nice walk over. The diner in the hotel was okay, food was good, the help was not the best, friendly but non attentive. Bottom line: I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was traveling solo for a short ski trip, but also wanted to enjoy restaurants and other activities in SLC. Red Lion was perfectly located for all of this, and very easy freeway access to get to the ski resorts. Free parking was another nice perk. They also have airport shuttles, so I was able to return my car on the last night and take a shuttle to the airport for my morning flight, thereby saving me a full day of rental. The staff is very nice/helpful. The room was average to above average, but the bed was excellent. The wifi was a little spotty, but at least it was free!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We were travelling with our dog were passing through SLC on a road trip. We needed an affordable convenient hotel to stay with our pet. Red Lion was perfect. It's close to I-80, has clean rooms and comfortable beds. The room has a microwave and mini refrigerator. We stayed at Red Lion twice. Once on our way over to once on our way back. My only gripe is that the room was too warm. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sugar Land TX USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I took the family snow skiing in Salt Lake for the first time and met my brother and his family here. I got a good deal on the hotel and was shocked at how nice it was for the price. A real good downtown location too. Free airport shuttle the first night about midnight. I took the shuttle to the airport the next morning to get a rental car. 10 minutes to the airport, 25 minutes to Alta. Seemed like everything was close by. Breakfast was a buffet where the kids eat free. Also a good deal. Flat screens and granite counters in the bathroom. Much nicer than I expected for the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Idaho Falls, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Pros:
-The bed was amazing, super comfy, nice down/duvet, great pillows.
-roughly $60 with tax
-walking distance to a few places
-Brewvies and an amazing Thai restaurant on the same block

Cons:
-Our car was broken into in the parking lot! The staff apologized but didn't really care too much. Luckily, there was nothing in there to be taken (except our coins in the console), but they ripped everything out of our console and glove compartment. It pays not to leave ANYTHING in your car.

-Hotel front desk was nice, but not super helpful. They didn't explain which set of elevators would be best to get to our room. In fact, our room was literally right in front of a set of elevators, but since we didn't know this we lugged our heavy luggage around the halls for 5 minutes figuring out how to get to our room. (The hotel has a weird shaped smaller building and a tower with a small hallway that connects them).

-Didn't realize the blow dryer was in the closet under the extra blanket. I looked at the card in the room that listed bathroom amenities. It didn't list a hair dryer. So, in my rush to get to the place I was going to I decided to forgo calling the front desk and just get to where I was going. I wish the front desk would of mentioned this.

-The bathroom was absolutely tiny
-Vent in our room rumbled loudly all night and day

-The maids IGNORE the 'do not disturb' sign. Both days they walked in with the sign on the door, luckily I had locked it. The second day my significant other had just walked out of the bathroom in a towel and the maid nearly saw him nude. I don't understand why they try to come in with the sign on the door and when it is also 9am, no where near check-out time even.

-Walls are thin. Both days we heard vacuums going at 8am loud enough to wake us up. I'm not sure how close our non-smoking room was to a smoking room but every night we'd smell a pretty heavy cigarette scent in our room. Wasn't too annoying, it could of just been someone ignoring the non-smoking room rules.

-Coffee mugs were filthy. They had a greasy film with finger prints on them. Luckily, they also give you two disposable cups w/ lids, so we used those instead.

All in all, I don't think I would stay here again. It wasn't terrible, but with all the little annoyances plus our car being broken into I would much rather play the extra $10-$30 a night to get a better hotel plus some kind of covered/underground parking.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 6th floor or higher, with the blinds even a little open I swear people cou...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Steilacoom, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I enjoyed my visit to Salt Lake City for a business training at the Salt Palace Convention Center. I choose this location due to the price and it was within a nice walking distance from the Convention Center. The room was great! They provide a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, and iron. I recommend asking for a room with a view of the Wasatch Mountains. The staff was very friendly and they also have a free shuttle to the airport and will bring you to other downtown locations.

You are also not far from the light rail, TRAX, and other bus transportation.

The only reason I am not giving an excellent rating is the food in the restaurant is very mediocre. It will do if you want to eat local, but there are many great restaurants in the downtown SLC area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

i got this hotel for a one night stay through priceline and after i checked the reviews i was a little nervous, but was then pleasantly surprised. i asked for a room on a higher floor and it was clean and comfortable. no complaints here. it seems like this place participates in priceline often, i got it for a $50 bid, so I'd recommend doing that verses paying full price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown? Share your experiences!