“Romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Anniversary Inn - Fifth South

Save Saved
You added The Anniversary Inn - Fifth South to your Saves list
The Anniversary Inn - Fifth South
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   460 South 1000 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84102   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Salt Lake City B&B and Inns
“Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

Had a romantic getaway with my wife here we stayed in the treasure island room and loved it. The room and decor was great! The staff were very polite friendly. It was a very great to be a kid again with my wife and stay in an amazing room.

• Stayed September 2011

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Layton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We spent a night in the Rio Grande suite and enjoyed the great re-creation of a railcar with wood from the floor up and onto the ceiling and great lighting. It was better than the real thing. It has a great tub for two with a waterfall shower.
There is a elevated tv (not a flat panel though) with Direct TV and they have several free movies you can rent from the front desk.
Complimentary hot cookies upon check in as well as sparkling cider and cheesecake in the room. A nice small breakfast of a pastry and yogurt with granola is included too.
It was nice to not have to check out until noon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed in the Jackson Hole suite for one night. This Anniversary Inn isn't a lot to look at from the outside, the building looks a little run down, but it's a fun place to stay. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful.

The room was showing a little wear and tear, but it was comfortable and well equipped. We loved the free desert and sparkling cider.

We had to leave very early to catch a flight, but breakfast was on time and they even gave us a to-go box so we could eat our breakfast on the plane.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011 via mobile

Haha, I cant believe people eat this crap up. My husband and I stayed in the Cape Cod room (the lighthouse room) and I was anything but impressed. The fish tank above the bed has A fish...maybe 2 and the tank is dirty and LOUD. All night long it sounded like someone was above us taking a major pee. I just think that if you are a hotel that specializes in themed rooms that you should put some effort into the rooms. The rock shower and tub were cool and the jets in the tub worked (many reviews report them not working). The TV was big and it was nice to have a DVD player but that didnt make up for the room. The design of the room was comparable to the set of a high school play in a poor community. We wont be back.

• Stayed July 2011
West Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Overall the hotel is nice. Our first stop was the Romeo & Juliet suite. The room came with two pieces of cheese cake and a bottle of sparkling cider. Upon inspection it was a little rundown. You can tell it is one of the older rooms. The tub especially looked old. The waterfall shower was covered in water deposits/lime. There were cracks and chips, but it seemed to work well until we turned the jets on. My wife was suddenly surrounded by brown and black floaties that were gushing out of one of the jets. They told us, without coming to the room and looking, that they were rose petals that had been tracked into the tub. It was clearly not rose petals as some of them were black and fuzzy looking balls. When I first saw them I thought they were feces, but they didn't smell like it. Needless to say we weren't interested in staying in this room any longer. I complained to the front desk and they offered to move us to a different room. We were very disappointed in a room that we reserved 4 months in advance. It wasn't worth $300. We actually liked the second room better than the first. The Grand Bridal Suite was visibly a newer room. The only problem was when you turned on the water to fill the tub the shower leaked and the water was lukewarm at best. It was really late so we decided to sleep and try the tub in the morning. Unfortunately nothing changed. They offered to move us again, but time was short. We were frustrated and decided to leave. They offered to reimburse us one third of the price. I demanded a full refund and they obliged.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Clinton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at this inn after my husband returned from Afghanistan. It was wonderful! We stayed in the "Twilight" room, and the pictures available online do not do it justice. It is a gorgeous room! We absolutely loved everything about it. We had no problems with anything during our stay. The location is great, beautiful view. It was so quiet it was easy to forget we were in the city. The available items you can add to your stay were a nice touch. Also would like to give a big kudos for the GREAT military discount they gave us. I could have stayed here for days, and we can't wait to go back. It was a perfect little getaway.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Anniversary Inn is a fun place to stay - the themed rooms are great. However, we had a number of problems that added up - especially with the cost.

We stayed 1 night on a Thursday in the Swiss Family Robinson Room #28. Many of the problems were with this specific room and don't apply to the hotel overall.

The good:
The theme of the room was great. You really felt like you were in a treehouse.
The breakfast was great.
The privacy was fantastic. You didn't hear anyone else. I like how your breakfast is brought to your room instead of going down to a dining room.
Cleanliness. Everything was very clean.
Extras. The extras like the mints and cheescake, bathrobes, etc. were very nice.

The bad:
Problems with our specific room:
The filter in the aquarium is really really really loud. There is a constant buzzing that gets to be quite agitating. I can't imagine that they couldn't replace the filter with something that is at least a little bit quiter. In our bedroom at how we have a computer with a bad fan that buzzes quite loudly - I had picked up from another review that this filter buzzes adn thought it won't bother us because we are used to the buzzing noise from our computer with the bad fan - well this was waaay louder than that. You stand warned.

Annoying placement of the TV. In this room your bed is in a treehouse. From the bed there is a view of a really nice, large screen TV. However there is also a safety rail around the bed (for good reason). The problem is that the TV is positioned low enough that unless you are sitting straight up in bed, the rail cuts off view of the TV. The annoying part is that they could EASILY raise the tv about 8 inches to a foot and solve the problem.

They have a little booklet will information on the hotel, your room and the surrounding area. When we opened the booklet all the pages were loose instead of in the binder. There was supposedly a page that told us how to use the TV/DVD player but it was missing. When we went to use the DVD player it took us a long time - 20 minutes or so to figure it out (due to the page missing). The knob for the volume on the DVD player was broken off. After trying to figure it out for about 10 minutes we tried calling the front desk and got no answer. After calling the front desk again after trying for several more minutes we got an answer with a quick - can I call you back in a few minutes. After waiting about 5 minutes I finally got a call back. They weren't especially helpful and referred us to the sheet in the booklet that was missing. They didn't seem to care that the page was missing and I doubt it got fixed after we left. They said it was different in every room and I said OK and hung up. They gave us a couple of ideas and after goofing around with it for a few more minutes we finally figured out how to get the DVD to work (we got the video quickly but had to push some random button for sound that we finally got lucky and found.)

When calling in to make reservations (we couldn't book online because the online system didn't allow for the special we used) the operator didn't know about the special at first (apparently the toll free number was the Idaho location). She looked up the special and said it would be honored. The while getting the reservation information from me (which was twice as much as most hotels) she put me on hold 4-5 times. Finally she put me on hold for literally 5 minutes - after 5 minutes I hung up and called the local Salt Lake office. At the Salt Lake office they had to start over getting all of the information and I was put on hold again once - but only for about 10-15 seconds. When we got our reservation confirmation via email it was not the special price but the full price so I had to call back in to make sure we were getting the right price - apparently it was right in their system just wrong in the confirmation email.

Our room had a couple of other minor problems. First there was a "dead" bird in the tree. There was a stuffed parrot in the tree that was part of the decorations. It would have been great except it was flopped over and looked like it was dead. It kind of creeped my wife out. Also the treehouse was very near the ceiling and as you know "hot air rises - it was maybe 15 degrees hotter up in the bed than down in the rest of the room. There was a bathroom style fan that you could turn on that helped some - but you had to go back downstairs to turn it on and we certainly didn't need more noise after the filter on the aquarium. A very simple fix would be to have a couple of traditional ceiling fans that you could access from upstairs.

Also once you are up in the treehouse it would be nice if there was a shelf somewhere - the phone is balanced on limbs of the tree.

Our special including a movie snack tray - we ordered it to come at 8:00 and it didn't show up until 8:20. Not a huge problem but it was late enough that we started wondering if it was coming.

The Ugly:
There was really only one thing with the stay that I thought was inexcusable. On their website they have an email address of the "innkeeper" or manager. I sent to emails to this address about problems with the reservations and never got a response. When the manager doesn't respond to concerns from guests that in my mind is inexecusable and and indication that the manager just doesn't get it when in comes to service. I would predict that the service will continue to go downhill here until a change is made in management - I get the sense that they just don't care and are trying to get as much profit out of this as possible without putting in the needed investment to provide a fantastic experience and I expect it will catch up with them. A shame really - they are on to something fantastic if they would just get the operational details right. I think they have just outgrown themselves and don't have the right operations person to keep up

Now here is the interesting thing - despite all of these problems I would still recommend this place and we will still go back. Their theme rooms are absolutely fantastic and the experiece is great. They must have a genious of an interior decorator working for them and they put the necessary investment in to make the themes fantastic. They also seem to have a great cleaing staff.

However, if there any maintenance problems beyond the basic cleaning they don't seem to get dealt with - problems like the booklet with missing pages, bad placement of the TV, missing knob on the dvd volume, etc.

Also, they seemed to be understaffed at their front desk as evidenced by the late movie snacks, difficulty getting them to answer, being put on hold - they seemed to be a bit frazzled and thus not very helpful when we had trouble getting our dvd player to work.

I hope they will put the investment they need into having enough staff to create a great customer experience, someone that cares enough about the long term maitnenance to deail with the issues, and a manager that will respond to complaints (or fix the email to go somewhere if no one is monitoring it.) If they do what they have could be truly awesome instead of mediocre.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Anniversary Inn - Fifth South? Share your experiences!