“Best Hampton Inn Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City University / Foothill

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City University / Foothill to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City University / Foothill
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Hampton Inn Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a beautiful Hampton Inn with terrific mountain views. It even has an awesome observation deck. Seriously, we had one of the suites and it was easily comparable to a high end Westin. Everything was perfect and the linens were luxurious and clean. Indoor pool on-site kept the kids busy and shopping center across the street kept wife busy. Great place for a family gathering as a nice room for a brunch and very nice breakfast/hang-out area. Really a great spot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My teenage son and I stay here while on a college search, and Hampton Inn was great. Rooms were super and the breakfast area was spacious, much moreso than most places which offer continental breakfasts. Would certainly stay here again if we return to Salt Lake in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed a night at the Hampton Inn & Suites for a wedding. We were looking for a hotel that was on the East side and were very happy to find this hotel. It's very new and clean. The front desk staff were very happy and helpful. It's nice to be close to I-80 so we were only 20 min. from Park City and very close to the Wedding reception.
The Wi-Fi was fast and free, and the room was very large. The complimentary breakfast had lots of options from fresh fruit and oatmeal to biscuits and gravy or fresh waffles.
The only issue we had was that there was not a lot of parking and after returning late on a Saturday night we had to park quite a ways away from the hotel.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The design of the new Hampton Inn & Suites is very nice. Dramatic colors, quality furniture and good spacious rooms. Like having the long desk/table dividing the bed/ sofa area. Lots of room for sorting papers and organizing my work stuff.

Small sink, micro and fridge are also helpful to have in the room.

Everything was clean, nicely decorated and location was really good. Good restaurants across the street.

It was snowing when I arrived so having covered area to leave car while checking in was helpful and having covered parking was even better.

Staff were friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our family gathered in Salt Lake City for my mother's funeral and the numbers overwhelmed local family members' ability to accommodate everyone. We booked six rooms for stays of varying durations up to a week; we were there the full week. The facility is new, well-laid-out and well-situated for access to both downtown and area ski resorts. It is the "typical" Hampton Inn with nice rooms, good beds and bedding, complimentary wi-fi, a fitness center, pool and hot tub and a complimentary business center available 24/7. Each room has a small refrigerator (you need to turn it on if you're going to use it) and a microwave. A couple of our rooms were suites and very well arranged with a couple queen-sized beds and sleeper sofa. The hot and cold breakfast buffet had great variety and the hot dishes were varied each day and attractively prepared and presented.

The really distinguishing factor (hence a review at all) was the service, including the cleanliness of both rooms and public areas. Staff was very accommodating and flexible. The pool was to be open 6:30 am - 10 pm. It is located by the front desk and a simple request for both early opening or late access were granted with a smile. One family member brought his own pillow -- and forgot it. The cleaning staff notified the front desk and the front desk e-mailed me so we could pick it up before going to the airport. Our kids love hot chocolate and a free coffee/tea/hot chocolate station was available 24/7 (and free chocolate chip cookies every evening). Upon check-in, we noted that the room temperature was 74-degrees and we preferred 70 degrees. We thought we'd followed the thermostat instructions (and we had, they are simple), but the temperature was unchanged. One short mention to the front desk as we departed the next morning produced an explanation that the cover of the thermostat can be opened and the programming over-ridden or re-set. I made a mental note to do it when we returned, but the manager said he would personally make sure it was re-set; and it was -- we found the heating/AC very responsive thereafter. We had lots of other minor things and they were all handled with dispatch and warm consideration.

The room rate was attractive on top of that. If I need a hotel room in SLC and don't need to be staying at a downtown convention hotel, this will be my regular choice.

Room Tip: All of our six rooms were quiet; there were few children in the hotel. The regular rooms were quite...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was the cleanest hotel I have stayed in for a long time. I really did not think that clean hotels still existed. Very quiet room. I stayed here while my husband had surgery at the U of U, it was the perfect place to come to after long day at the hospital and convenient location. I did not get to use any of the facilities but they looked nice. Service was average.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

When we first arrived I was impressed with how clean everything was. The pool was nice. The rooms quiet and comfortable. The beds were rock hard but that seems to be a common thing with hotels. We really enjoyed the stay. Then the nightmare started.

My wife recently got accepted to schooling requiring us to buy a new small laptop. As we packed up to leave my son decided to put the laptop into a drawer in the hotel room without us knowing. A few hours after we left we noticed nobody had packed the laptop. I immediately called the hotel to ask them to grab it and hold onto it for us. I was passed off to the manager who immediately took a defensive position even though I was not accusing anyone of anything just asking for some help. He told me he would check the room and call me back but not to bother coming back because it won't be there. I attempted to give him a description of the laptop and where to look but he would not listen and told me he would call me back.

After 2 hours of driving in rush hour we made it back to the hotel without him calling us. During the 2 hours the hotel had placed somebody in the room even though it was clear they were not busy based on the parking lot and how early it was in the day still. I met with the manager in person who immediately started talking down to me telling me people lose things all the time in the hotel and find them later. I explained to him how I knew the laptop had been left here because my son told me what drawer he put it in. I told him how small the laptop was and he told me he was looking for a larger item when he went into the room. He refused to look again and told me his staff would have found it and brought it back.

I practically begged him for help but he refused to go any further until I told him I would need to report it stolen. He told me he couldn't believe I would do this as it would worry the staff that the officers would be verifying their immigration status. At this point he finally agreed to speak to the staff. I returned home without another option and waited weeks for any further reply from him before filing this review.

By the way I was treated I could tell the manager knows he had a problem with the staff. I could not think of any other reason he would become so defensive and uncooperative by me telling him I believed it was still in the room.

I asked for contact information for his supervisor and for a contact at the corporate office. I was told his brother was his boss and that he would not be giving me a name or any contact information. I was told to check my meds and called vulgar names causing me to give up and leave as I would not meet him at his level.

I would rather stay in a little older hotel than worry about missing items by the end of the stay. I feel the manager is egg on this hotels face and has no business being in customer service. I still have not been able to take this issue any further because of the lack of cooperation. I plan on filing a complaint with the corporate offices. This small family vacation before school turned into an expensive trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pogen, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City University / Foothill, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
When this Guest called to inquire about the lost tablet computer. The room had already been cleaned and inspected and a new guest checked in. At his first call the Room Attendant and Housekeeping Manager were asked about the missing item, the Front Desk Associate inspected the room checking all drawers. No tablet computer was found. The Guest insisted on returning the 2 hour drive. I explained to him we would continue the search and ship it to him if found. That offer was unacceptable to the Guest. When the Guest returned he insisted he be allowed to inspect the room. The new guests were not in the hotel and could not be reached to grant access to their room. He was informed that six members of the staff had searched that room for the missing computer. We could not allow the Guest to enter the room now occupied by another guest. The Guest was unreasonable, and intractable. He has endless suspicions of the hotel staff. He berated the staff and manager for many hours via telephone and nearly an hour in person. The entire exchange was handled professionally, in public, at the front desk. The Guest was treated with respect and patience. We are totally sympathetic to the Guests loss. We expressed that many times.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City University / Foothill? Share your experiences!