“Sleepless night at the Grand.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save $100 on select meals
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
North Ogden, Utah
“Sleepless night at the Grand.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just back back from our first stay at the Grand America. It was a Christmas gift from our children. Don't get me wrong.. The hotel is exceptional. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff is helpful. The breakfast buffet is affordable and delicious. But... the bed was soooo uncomfortable and the mattress pad had a squeaky plastic-like layer in it. And we wished we would have brought our own pillows. Even my husband agreed. And he usually sleeps like a rock. I think that when you pay top class prices for a room, the bed and coverings should be top class too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit to the Grand. I am delighted that so many aspects of your stay were to your liking, and you were able to enjoy the Garden Café buffet and the many amenities the hotel offers. I am sorry to read that the bed was a disappointment and you were not able to experience a good night’s rest. It is our continuing goal to provide our guests with the very best and most memorable experiences, and I am pleased to say we have just concluded a process of new mattress and mattress pad selection for all of our guest rooms. I hope time and travel schedules will permit a future return visit, and we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand.

Susanne Maitzen
smaitzen@grandamerica.com
Executive Director Hospitality Communications

724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is an exceptional hotel. Beautiful, and immaculate. There isn't a space in this hotel to be disappointed in. From the lobby, to the restaurants, conference areas, and every corner of this property, including the staff, it is exceptional. This hotel offers the type of service and care that too many have forgotten. It is truly welcomed and appreciated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Pinehurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Top class facilities with staff to boot. One of the nicest we've ever experienced and much better than many Four Seasons or Ritz 5 Star properties . The owner, Earl Holding, is known for top class facilities (Sun Valley Resort, Snowbasin and the Little Americas) and this is his flagship. Would recommend to everyone with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Mountain or city views both have mountain views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Grand America is an excellent choice if you're staying in Salt Lake City. Our schedule only allowed us to stay one night, but, we would have liked to have stayed longer! The hotel is immaculate! Everything was bright and fresh. And, our room was VERY spacious. The staff was extremely friendly and ready to help us if needed. The hotel is conveniently located near the airport. Only a 10 minute drive. I would highly recommend the Grand America Hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a magnificent property. This is truly a world class hotel. While Salt Lake City may be a bit on the sleepy side make no mistake about it the Grand America hotel is as wonderful as any world class hotel I have ever seen. No expense was spared and the architecture and decoration of the hotel will remind you of the finer hotels in Europe or NYC. the grounds of the hotel are as perfect as I have ever seen with beautiful box-woods and sculpted topiary.

We had an amazing mini-suite with spectacular views. I am not sure I would go back to Salt Lake anytime soon, but this hotel makes a stay in Salt Lake, well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Points of discussion:

1) Low-definition TV reception in hotel rooms, as well as at the hotel bar (Gibson Girl). Inexcusable in 2013 for luxury hotel.

2) Lobby coffee is $3. Really-- they are that cheap and tacky?

3) Bathroom in hotel was clean and large-- however, we could hear every disgusting noise coming from the neighbor man in the room next door.

4) Stale macaroons. So glad I purchased one of each flavor-- to discover all were clearly stale.

5) Service-- less than expected for a luxury hotel. The waitstaff in hotel restaurants were clearly not trained in hospitality-- could have worked at the local chain restaurant. One server tried to argue with me when I pointed out a missing portion of my order (I had to refer back to the menu to get my point across).

Bottom line-- this hotel attempts to achieve 5 star status but falls short.

• Stayed February 2013
TheGrandAmerica, Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear maroontheta ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read that we missed key service opportunities during your visit. Please be assured, I shared your experience with all of our staff, so that these lapses may be avoided in future for you and for all of our guests. I understand how these experiences negatively impacted your stay and for this I am truly sorry. Providing the finest guest service, which includes incorporating the most modern technology, is very important to us. We are in the process of upgrading to high definition television in all of our guest rooms and in the hotel lounge, and anticipate completing the upgrade in the near future.

I hope that time and travel schedules will permit a future return to the Grand America. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back.

Susanne Maitzen
smaitzen@grandamerica.com
Mansfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Grand America Hotel last week while on business. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. My colleagues and I spent multiple nights sipping a glass of wine by the fire in the lobby. The staff is extremely professional. The room was clean and roomy. Every night I arrived to turndown service, complete with slippers, a bathrobe, a chocolate and a room service order form for the next morning. I only wish that I could have enjoyed this hotel with my spouse while on a vacation!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in SLC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand America Hotel? Share your experiences!