“Wow” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Denver, Colorado
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a magnificent property. This is truly a world class hotel. While Salt Lake City may be a bit on the sleepy side make no mistake about it the Grand America hotel is as wonderful as any world class hotel I have ever seen. No expense was spared and the architecture and decoration of the hotel will remind you of the finer hotels in Europe or NYC. the grounds of the hotel are as perfect as I have ever seen with beautiful box-woods and sculpted topiary.

We had an amazing mini-suite with spectacular views. I am not sure I would go back to Salt Lake anytime soon, but this hotel makes a stay in Salt Lake, well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Points of discussion:

1) Low-definition TV reception in hotel rooms, as well as at the hotel bar (Gibson Girl). Inexcusable in 2013 for luxury hotel.

2) Lobby coffee is $3. Really-- they are that cheap and tacky?

3) Bathroom in hotel was clean and large-- however, we could hear every disgusting noise coming from the neighbor man in the room next door.

4) Stale macaroons. So glad I purchased one of each flavor-- to discover all were clearly stale.

5) Service-- less than expected for a luxury hotel. The waitstaff in hotel restaurants were clearly not trained in hospitality-- could have worked at the local chain restaurant. One server tried to argue with me when I pointed out a missing portion of my order (I had to refer back to the menu to get my point across).

Bottom line-- this hotel attempts to achieve 5 star status but falls short.

• Stayed February 2013
TheGrandAmerica, Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear maroontheta ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read that we missed key service opportunities during your visit. Please be assured, I shared your experience with all of our staff, so that these lapses may be avoided in future for you and for all of our guests. I understand how these experiences negatively impacted your stay and for this I am truly sorry. Providing the finest guest service, which includes incorporating the most modern technology, is very important to us. We are in the process of upgrading to high definition television in all of our guest rooms and in the hotel lounge, and anticipate completing the upgrade in the near future.

I hope that time and travel schedules will permit a future return to the Grand America. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back.

Susanne Maitzen
smaitzen@grandamerica.com
Mansfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Grand America Hotel last week while on business. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. My colleagues and I spent multiple nights sipping a glass of wine by the fire in the lobby. The staff is extremely professional. The room was clean and roomy. Every night I arrived to turndown service, complete with slippers, a bathrobe, a chocolate and a room service order form for the next morning. I only wish that I could have enjoyed this hotel with my spouse while on a vacation!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in SLC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked this to go see my best friend's graduation in SLC. The Hotel is in a perfect downtown location, great walking distance to all of the areas around downtown SLC. Ask for a Mountain View, it's much better than the city view. Staff were all very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a Mountain View room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Rexburg, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband surprised me with a trip to Utah for Christmas where we would be able to visit lots of family. He made reservations at the Grand America. What a special time it turned out to be. At first I was a bit concerned about spending Christmas in a "hotel", but we were treated so very well. When we returned to our room on Christmas Eve after dinner with family there was a lovely bottle of sparkling pink lemonade in a champagne bucket with two goblets. What a lovely way to end the evening. Then the next morning we were surprised by a gorgeous Christmas stocking hung on our door filled with goodies and gifts. How delightful! The breakfast buffet was delicious and the price was surprisingly affordable. The entire hotel was decorated as a winter wonderland. The holiday spirit was alive in the service, the decor, and the food. Thank you Grand America for a wonderful Chirstmas!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Beautiful does not begin to describe this hotel. Every detail has been anticipated. I was there to visit my granddaughter and mentioned that at the time of reservation. Upon arrival baby bed, diaper genie, stroller, bottle warmer, baby gift set and a rocking chair were all in the room waiting. Nightly turn down service with extra amenities everywhere. Beautiful huge bathrooms with a very large soaking tub, separate shower and toilet areas. Separate sinks to facilitate getting ready. Soft cozy beds, indoor pool and steam room, valet service or underground self parking. Feels like a European castle experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Espoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travel all the time and have been in 5 star hotels and resorts all over the world - England, France, Sweden, Germany, Russia, Japan, Bali (Indonesia), Thailand, China, India .... and on and on ... plus many places in the USA itself and must say that the Grand America ranks in the top of the list. My wife and I were truly, pleasantly, happily shocked by how much we enjoyed it. Even before leaving SLC we were planning to return to Grand America.

The lobby is a marble and wood paradise. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and elegant.

The staff everywhere was great with one big exception - it was disappointing in the excellent morning buffet to see the restaurant manager berate the staff. I thought the staff was superb. Perhaps the manager, Ali, felt he was impressing the guests but it was just rude and off putting. We had breakfast 6 days, he was there 2, and both times did that.

We loved the spa! We visited 3 times. Tiffany, Andrea, Alisa were our massage therapists and truly magically gifted. The service is pricey but definitely worth it.

Special thanks to Nina in the business center for her help.

Summary: If you ever want to get away from it all and live in wonderful luxury for a while, visit Grand America, and with that enjoy all that SLC and surrounding ski has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand America Hotel? Share your experiences!