“A special Christmas” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Rexburg, Idaho, United States
“A special Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband surprised me with a trip to Utah for Christmas where we would be able to visit lots of family. He made reservations at the Grand America. What a special time it turned out to be. At first I was a bit concerned about spending Christmas in a "hotel", but we were treated so very well. When we returned to our room on Christmas Eve after dinner with family there was a lovely bottle of sparkling pink lemonade in a champagne bucket with two goblets. What a lovely way to end the evening. Then the next morning we were surprised by a gorgeous Christmas stocking hung on our door filled with goodies and gifts. How delightful! The breakfast buffet was delicious and the price was surprisingly affordable. The entire hotel was decorated as a winter wonderland. The holiday spirit was alive in the service, the decor, and the food. Thank you Grand America for a wonderful Chirstmas!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Beautiful does not begin to describe this hotel. Every detail has been anticipated. I was there to visit my granddaughter and mentioned that at the time of reservation. Upon arrival baby bed, diaper genie, stroller, bottle warmer, baby gift set and a rocking chair were all in the room waiting. Nightly turn down service with extra amenities everywhere. Beautiful huge bathrooms with a very large soaking tub, separate shower and toilet areas. Separate sinks to facilitate getting ready. Soft cozy beds, indoor pool and steam room, valet service or underground self parking. Feels like a European castle experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travel all the time and have been in 5 star hotels and resorts all over the world - England, France, Sweden, Germany, Russia, Japan, Bali (Indonesia), Thailand, China, India .... and on and on ... plus many places in the USA itself and must say that the Grand America ranks in the top of the list. My wife and I were truly, pleasantly, happily shocked by how much we enjoyed it. Even before leaving SLC we were planning to return to Grand America.

The lobby is a marble and wood paradise. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and elegant.

The staff everywhere was great with one big exception - it was disappointing in the excellent morning buffet to see the restaurant manager berate the staff. I thought the staff was superb. Perhaps the manager, Ali, felt he was impressing the guests but it was just rude and off putting. We had breakfast 6 days, he was there 2, and both times did that.

We loved the spa! We visited 3 times. Tiffany, Andrea, Alisa were our massage therapists and truly magically gifted. The service is pricey but definitely worth it.

Special thanks to Nina in the business center for her help.

Summary: If you ever want to get away from it all and live in wonderful luxury for a while, visit Grand America, and with that enjoy all that SLC and surrounding ski has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Great building. Great staff. Great amenities. I didn't try the spa facilities but all the business facilities were spot on. The rooms are huge. The heat system keeps the bathroom 10 degrees warmer than the room. Great bedding. Functional sitting area. Fair minibar (didn't matter to me but beer and soft drinks only). The main bar is gorgeous. Really worth them upgrade from it's competitors.

Stayed January 2013
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Grand America is the correct description. The rooms are fabulous, large & spacious. Impeccably decorated, elegant & comfortable. The bed was wonderful. The lobby & other areas in the hotel confirm this is SLC's only five star hotel. We visited at Christmas & really enjoyed the spirit of Christmas displayed throughout. We didn't have a hot water maker in the room but found hot water in the lobby for our hot cocoa. The hotel is located near temple square for their marvelous Christmas lights. Very impreeive!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for a ski trip in February 2012. We had a great experience and I was thoroughly impressed with the staff then. I stayed again a few days ago for a business trip. WOW!! Once again the staff at every level and at every part of the hotel was amazing. The concierge remembered me from 10 months ago. I needed socks and she had them open the men's shop just for me. The wait staff in the restaurant was perfectly attentive. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I simply can't wait until I have occasion to return.

• Stayed December 2012
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for three nights recently for business, my second visit to this hotel. Done in the grand style of classic hotels, this will not disappoint guests. The lobby, foyer, and suites are spacious and luxurious.

Lovely, spacious room, a good desk for work and comfortable furniture- the bed receives top marks! I had several great nights of rest. The rooms are also well-isolated, I did not hear noise in the hallway or from other rooms at all, while I know the rooms near me were occupied. With 700 rooms, I was surprised the hotel, whicl constantly active, never felt too busy.

The differences between this excellent choice in lodging and some better hotels are in the small details and service, and these are small complaints but things that kept my stay from being perfect: not all towels being replaced by the maid, the battery in the bathroom scale not working, no in-room coffee or tea (yet there is beer in the honor bar), and a lack of information from the staff about all the available amenties (such as the lemon water near check-in which I didn't see until I checked out). Likewise, most of the staff are doing a great job, but are younger servers not well-seasoned, that could still use training. If you stay at the Peninsula in Chicago, that is top in my book and has stunning service. But the Grand America does a good job, and is by far the best hotel in SLC, hands down, and the only place I'd want to stay when in SLC. But compared to a basic chain hotel, you will be very pleased with choosing this location, and service is high quality compared to any standard chain hotel.

I suggest breakfast in the hotel and if you have time, enjoy the afternoon tea service in the lobby, with the harpist playing while the snow falls you may find yourself transported to another time and place. If tea isn't your thing, the fireplace is cozy and there is a gentleman's bar worth visiting to watch the game with fellow travelers. I'd not suggest the hotel restaurant for dinner, as we found several strange quirks both with our server and our food that left a poor impression.

A small side note, I adore the digital keys that are used for room access. Instead of a key card, it is an actual key with a magnetic strip that is read by the keyhole, which is a nice reminder of classic hotels- much like the spacious hallways decorated with lovely carpet and antiques.

There is much to like and enjoy at the Grand America, and without a doubt, there is no better place to stay in SLC.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and view of the mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business