“Mother's day weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Mother's day weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The staff was very nice and the hotel was absolutely beautiful. We attended a wedding there and stayed in one of the rooms that night. We had a view of the garden area. Everything was great except the pillows.. Bring your own pillow!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are truly delighted you enjoyed the Grand America and honored to be chosen for your get-a-way weekend.

I’m terribly sorry our pillows did not contribute to a satisfactory sleep experience. Kindly be advised, as of August 15th, 2012 we will be introducing a new pillow at the Grand America. I am sure you will find it more to your liking.

Thank you again for your kind remarks. We hope to see you back at the Grand in the near future and until then, we remain at your service.

Grand America Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We just returned from a trip to SLC. The weather left something to be desired but the Grand America did not. Its spacious rooms, comfy beds and mountain views are outstanding, and the hotel staff is friendly, knowledgeable about the area, and genuinely helpful. The Grand is perfectly located, with a tram stop a half a block north of the hotel. The tram is FREE if you are traveling within the city center, for example to the City Creek Center shopping mall. Within walking distance were several good restaurants and bookstores, and the city is safe and very walkable. We loved the turn down service (with chocolate!) and the soft plush robes. The room's appointments are well-thought out; the bathroom has dual sinks which we loved--and the Grand has the best pillows we have ever slept on.

This hotel will not appeal to those who are militantly modernist in their design tastes. While it may be expensive for SLC, if you come from one of the world's more expensive cities, the Grand will seem like an incredible bargain. My partner went to the Grand Spa and said it was excellent as well. A hotel without fault? Yes! Paradise really exists.

Our only complaint: there is no in-room coffee-maker, but if you ask, they will bring one. Coffee is available downstairs for a fee in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room, as SLC is surrounded by mountains, you will get both a mountain view and a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay, we are humbled by your kind remarks.

We are always grateful to hear the experiences of our guests and it is especially rewarding when the details which give the Grand America its heart and soul are recognized…it's the vision of our ownership to offer the very best in facilities and amenities but especially service. We could not be more pleased that we successfully executed our service values for you.

Thank you again for your generous remarks, we are honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand soon. Until then, we remain at your service.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at the The Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City and my wife (who has Celiac) called room service and asked if the chips and salsa were gluten-free. If she gets gluten in her system, she will quit absorbing nutrients for months while her intestines repair themselves. The woman on the phone said she would check, and a minute later said they were. My wife ordered them and they were delivered. When they arrived, they also had a dip, so my wife called them again to verify they were gluten-free. The woman said they absolutely were. My wife ate the chips and dip/salsa and then about 15 minutes later we received an in-room call from the Chef saying that they did have gluten after all. Too late for my wife, her stomach has now already been damaged.

When we checked out the next day, we complained about this, and the shift manager really didn't care. I asked if we could file a formal complaint, and she said no, only on the website (which I have checked and there is no place to do it that I can find). I am concerned about people who have food allergies staying at this so called "five diamond" establishment. Please, if you stay there, don't eat there. Not worth it!

Room Tip: Don't eat here if you have a food allergy!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Grand America Hotel. We sincerely appreciate the open feedback you have given us.

We are terribly sorry for the communication issue which occurred with our in-room dining department. Please accept our sincere apology for this lapse within such a critical area of service. An experience such as the one you described is particularly disheartening as we truly pride ourselves in being able to adapt our service to the special needs of our guests.

I can tell you with all sincerity that the associate who took the initial IRD order and then placed the follow-up call to your room also wrote a note to her director apprising of the situation, then called the hotel while off-duty to check on your wife’s condition.

We have shared the notes on your wife’s experience with our entire food service team and I assure you, we have taking the necessary steps to avoid this issue from affecting the experience of our current and future guests.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I hope other apsects of your stay were more positive, we understand how our failures can impact our guests and hope to see you back at the Grand America in the future to regain your trust. Until then, we remain at your service.

Alpine, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I visited SLC for our anniversary and stayed in the Grand America. WOW is all I can say. This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in and by far the best in SLC. The location is great as it is close to pretty much everything in town. I have also had the opportunity to have thanksgiving at this hotel. AMAZING! Best place to stay in Salt Lake. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were humbled by your kind and thoughtful remarks.

On behalf of the Grand America family, we are honored to have earned the trust of your family through the years and especially proud you choose us for your most special occasions.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the very near future and until then, remain at your service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous - stunning lobby and sitting area. My standard room was equally impressive. Very comfortable bed, very generous sitting/working area, and amazing bathroom (floor to ceiling marble, separate glassed in shower, big tub, etc.).

I was in Salt Lake for a conference at the Salt Palace. This hotel is a bit of a hike to the convention center, but the conference supplied a very convenient shuttle. I found this to be a perfect combination - a busy day of meetings in downtown, and then a nightly escape to a beautiful and comfortable hotel to recuperate. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We certainly recognize the Grand America is not the closest hotel to the convention center and are honored you chose us while in Salt Lake City for your conference.

We also recognize that there are organizational and personal objectives connected to the success of every event. We were delighted to read our facilities, staff and service were able to contribute to the success of yours.

Thank you again for such kind remarks. We hope to see you back at the Grand soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I lived in Salt Lake for several years, so I had the opportunity to stay at the Grand America in the past. I recently went back to Salt Lake for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary and we celebrated the special occasion at the Grand America.

Needless to say, the Hotel, Staff and Food were truly amazing. The hotel staff went out of their way to make my parents celebration a truly memorable event.

Room Tip: Request a room facing East if you would like a great view of the Wasatch Mountains
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are delighted that you’ve enjoyed the Grand America in the past and so appreciative of the opportunity to welcome you back for your parents 50th wedding anniversary…a most remarkable occasion!

My colleagues and I recognize the tremendous amount of lodging options available in Salt Lake City, especially for our local guests. We thank you for your trust and the confidence you have to recommend us so highly.

We hope that we may see you and your family back at the Grand in the future and until then, we will remain at your service.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I only stayed at this hotel for one night on business, so I didn't spend any time at the restaurant, gym, etc but I will review the hotel itself and the rooms. Here goes...

This is my favorite kind of hotel - a vintage-looking building with modern luxurious amenities. The decor is just stunning. Grand entrances, luxe furniture in the common rooms, beautiful chandeliers. The rooms are just as lovely, with a nice sitting area, large windows that actually open (!), and HUGE marble bathrooms with a separate tub and shower. And the little bathroom amenities are really fab - all the usuals, plus a little box containing a shower cap, sewing kit, nail kit, etc. (I am a devotee of hotel bathroom amenities and these are as nice as they come.) The bed itstelf is comfortable, set with crisp white sheets and fluffy comforters. The location is great too. Right downtown, in easy walking distance of the light rail system. The staff at the front desk were efficient and friendly.

Although I only stayed for one night, my experience was really superb and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are indeed a classically designed hotel and are delighted you appreciate the level of design and luxury we offer.

It is also rewarding when the details which give the Grand America its soul, are recognized. The hotel bath amenities and sleep experience are new additions to the Grand and we are delighted to hear such favorable feedback in our continual effort to enhance the Grand America experience.

Thank you again for such kind remarks, we are truly honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand soon. In the meantime, we remain at your service.