“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Danville, Illinois
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I was a guest at the Sheraton in downtown Salt Lake City for three nights. The recent hotel renovation has made the rooms very nicely decorated, updated, and comfortable. The room is nothing to rave about, but is very functional and roomy. The bathroom was larger than other recent hotels I have stayed at and it was a nice change. My only minor complaint about the room itself was the lighting and mirror placement. The lights are all the energy efficient flourescent bulbs, which I'm sure is great for energy conservation but gives a funky light to the rooms as the bulbs warm up. Also, there is no way to get close to the bathroom mirror to apply make-up or pluck eyebrows . . . and the full length mirror doesn't have proper lighting to do those same tasks. The television is very large but the choice of channels was limited. My only complaint on the cleanliness was due to the dirt in the carpet, which came out when I wore white socks while in my room.

What sets the Sheraton aside is the staff. Everyone that I encountered was very pleasant, polite, and helpful. A front desk person faxed a document for me efficiently, the housekeeping staff was very polite and helpful, and a bellman saw me in the lobby and just asked if my stay was going well and if there was anything he could do to make it better. Plus, after traveling to some larger cities, it is such a treat to stay somewhere that still has a free airport shuttle and free parking!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed at the hotel in late May and all renovations except for the sauna were apparently complete. The rooms are probably the best I've experienced at a Sheraton, and agree with an earlier reviewer that they are virtually to Westin standards, including a smooth finish ceiling instead of the dated popcorn texture or the poured slab concrete I sometimes see. The new design language is casually elegant and very attractive.

I'm SPG Gold and was upgraded to the Club Floor with a city view, which is beautiful, and just far enough from the edge of the city to be tranquil, yet close enough to walk. Alicia was overseeing the Club Room and she did a great job and was very warm and helpful. The Club Room has small balconies that look out toward Park City and the mountains and the view is stunning.

The pool area was not as impressive as the rooms and didn't appear very fresh, so I'm not sure if it was renovated or not, though it had just opened for the season. That one slight minus, along with the incomplete saunas, is the only reason I didn't evaluate as a 5.

If you like sweets, Mrs. Backer's Pastry Shop is a true Salt Lake City institution and worth a visit for some of the best and most artistic creations you will find in the Intermountain West.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I had made the reservation through Starwood - I'm a general member of SPG. The hotel is newly renovated...and, man - It's Stunningly Beautiful. I was with one of my best friends and his 'service dog' - We booked on the 'pre-paid' rate of $119 a night (I had an early flight back home to Los Angeles - I don't dig 6.30am check outs). We arrived late in the evening of Sun. May 31st, the front desk clerk was really cool - but, I got upset when she tried to use my credit card used for the 'pre-paid' and it came back denied?? It appeared the card was not being accepted, so I had to use another card. (In the end the room rate was same and money was not taken out of my originating card...RELIEF). We checked in and then went to the indoor Jacuzzi (It was nice...) and the night security let us stay past the 11pm curfew (Thanks). The wi-fi was free and accessible from the lobby - Sadly, no free internet in the rooms (It will cost you...). We were in the lower wing, away from the tower. I didn't care, each room was renovated, and I don't have elite with Starwood - Still, the room was fresh and modern with a 42 inch plasma TV (Sharp Aquios) and we enjoyed watching KSL 5 and The Weather Channel. Overall, If I didn't have an early morning flight on UA837 from SLC , we would have stayed til 1pm =) --- Overall, A nice hotel experience (minus the credit card problems at check-in) Thanks - Joe G

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have seen both the before and after of the hotel renovation. What a BIG difference it makes. The lobby is very large and inviting with a great fireplace. I have been in the accessible 1st floor rooms as well as every floor up to the 9th club floor. Honestly, there is no difference between the "enhanced Gold" rooms and the standard rooms. 1st floor accessible rooms are double the size of the tower-size rooms. The furnishings are very modern and functionally stylish. This is on-par for a Westin as far as furnishings and feel of room. Starwood still rates this hotel as a Category 2 and I think it's a little underrated.

The Olio restaurant serves very good food, but service is typically spotty. A waiter is hard to find since business is very slow in the actual dining area. Food is top notch and prices are decent.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Spanaway, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I had a family emergency and ended up staying here while visiting the Salt Lake city area. Spur of the moment they found me a room at a great price! They even offered me a special price because my relative was in a local hospital! I would recommend the staff at this hotel for gold medals! They were extremely accommodating. The rooms are nice, they are roomy, and quiet! However, the last night I was there they had a wind storm that howled through my sliding glass door! But the views from my 10th floor room were awesome! The mountains and city lights were terrific!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

we read some bad reviews, but the room that we had was gorgeous. Contemporary and with a 36 inch TV. The hotel provides free transportation form/to airport, and it is nice to have free water, starbucks coffee and daily paper. We will come back for sure. the room was a litlle noise though

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
SheratonSLC, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to express your experience at our hotel. The comments we receive from our guests are the most reliable tool we can use to measure our performance. We are pleased to announce that we have completed our $17 million entire hotel property renovation and have address your concern regarding noise from the balconies. We are grateful for your patronage and look forward to being your host on your return trip to Salt Lake City.
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Stayed here two nights on business, also gave presentation in one of their meeting rooms.

Very nice and convenient courtesy shuttle from the airport.

Check-in was smooth, although they could have had more people working the desk. Front desk staff was attentive and responded to a slight snafu with my room assignment.

Room was comfortable and had a small balcony that had an unbelievable view. As with most hotel rooms, I had to unplug something to accommodate my electrical socket needs (I only need two: computer and cell phone).

Wi-fi in the room was $10 a day! It wasn’t until I overheard someone talking that I discovered that it was free if you sat in the lobby! At least they provided comfortable chairs there.

The “Business Center” was non-functional; two computers were not working, and the printer was not working. One had to go to the front desk to get simple things like a boarding pass printed. Not the best situation at all. Same for getting two sheets of paper copied for my presentation. Glad it wasn’t anything personal.

Construction was on-going during my stay. The construction crew, rather than trying to remain out of sight, at times clogged the elevators. Only two elevators available, and they were slow.

Nice “club” (so they can serve adult beverages) off the lobby. Outstanding wait-staff.

The hotel is centrally located (thus the name), and many places were in walking distance. Due to snow, we had the shuttle service take us to a restaurant one night. Nice touch.

Presentation rooms, and lobby, were very cold. Presentation facilities were nice, but a little noisy.

I’ll go back on business… when they finish their renovations, and leave the elevators to the guests.

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to express your experience at our hotel. The comments we receive from our guests are the most reliable tool we can use to measure our performance. We are pleased to announce that we have completed our $17 million entire hotel property renovation. As well, we have added the 'Link @ the Sheraton', which provides complimentary computer hand-touch and web-cam access, wired and wireless High-Speed Internet, conference room, 42” Flat Screen television and incredible capabilities to keep our guest connected to their loved ones via technical communication and electronic postcards.

Been to Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel? Share your experiences!