“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Vancouver
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night in June 2008. As a Starwood platinum I was upgraded to the club floor on the 10th. The room was a bit old and tired as well as the rest of the hotel. The only good part about the hotel was the Club Lounge which served a better than average breakfast. The pool was a bit dirty with things floating in it but the kids around the pool seemed to enjoy it. I would have to agree with other commenters that the staff wasn't all that friendly.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

I booked through priceline for $50/night, and thought I got a good deal. Turn out they put me on the 2 story building on the back, motel like building without elevator. I had to carry my bag up 2 flights of stair, luckily I only had 1 luggage. The room is spacious, but it has funky smell. Bathtub was clogged. Only a few channels for cable TV. No wireless internet. Be ware of $10/day parking. The scariest part of my stay was around 9:30PM, a guy knocked on the door said maintenance services which I never requested for any services. It was only 1 night stay, but overall the experience was unpleasant.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NW Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I stay here 3-5 nights every 2 years for a conference. I have stayed in both the tower and in the 2 story extra rooms. I have noticed the tower has much nicer rooms. This time I had a pillow top mattress, just like at home and a garden tub.

I did have some trouble with the internet and phone on the 1st night there but it was fixed early the next morning. Desk staff was friendly and helpful.

Food preparation was amazing as usual for this business event. I will never know how they can prepare 1200 steaks and serve them still hot, tender, and in a timely manner.

• Liked — Very organized during a huge conference
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

I attended a one-day seminar there in March. The meeting room they gave was a little hard to find, and the setup wasn't the greatest. The seminar was mostly focused on a visual presentation - the ceiling was too low so the screen was too low, and the chairs were too close together (theater style) for the presentation. Few people could see more than half of the screen.

The lunch buffet line was poorly set up also - causing a very long lunch line for a small group (60 people). The continental breakfast was more/better than I expected, but the lunch food was excellent.

So over all I have to give it an average rating. Excellent food, poor meeting room and setup.

Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

To start with, I did book this room through Priceline and only paid $50 for it so I can't complain. We drove down so that we could put our daughter on a plane the next morning.

They only had double beds. Even though it was comfortable with great bedding I felt like I was going to roll off all night. We aren't used to having such a small bed in this day and age!

The decor is very dated. The bathroom really needs new tile. But things were pretty clean.

We ate breakfast in the dining room and had the buffet. It was pretty pricey for what was offered. Very disappointing.

All of the staff we encountered was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NoVa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

I did not choose to stay here because I've had horrible experiences with Sheraton in the past, but my business made the travel arrangements for me. The hotel was clean enough, but very dated. The noise is absolutely horrible. I could hear every conversation in the hallway, every person walking past my room, every footstep from the rooms above me, and every door slam. The people in the room next to me had a dog, and when it barked, I could swear the dog was in my room. I would wake up in the middle of the night because a door would slam, people would be talking, etc. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest. There were hairs that did not belong to me all over the floor. I just took all the extra towels they provide and made a huge floormat with them so I didn't have to step on the tiles. The bathtub is very oddly shaped. There is no flat surface on the floor of the tub. The entire thing is curved in on the sides. It was quite uncomfortable, and I always felt like I was going to slip and fall. The shape of the tub also seemed to cause a drainage problem. The drain worked properly, but the water couldn't quite make it to the drain with the way it was shaped. This hotel definitely wasn't the worst I've stayed in, but I wouldn't willingly go there again. The employees were very pleasant, and I would be ok if my business made reservations there again. I just think that in this day and age, where you have cheap but nice chains popping up with Marriott or Hilton as their parent (Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites), the Sheraton should consider an overhaul of their hotels. They are all just too dated.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

As a flight attendant, I stay at many, MANY hotels. This is one that I beg our hotel committee to change after every visit. I would not continue to choose Salt Lake City layovers if it wasn't for my one true passion in life - snowboarding.

This hotel makes it very convenient to reach Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons for a great day in the powder (especially with the ski rental shops located next door). Unfortunately, though, I don't think that's enough, anymore.

I am fed up with the staff's treatment of us, as crew members, and the expenses incurred with staying here. They charge for EVERYTHING!!!

The hotel offers ethernet but at a cost of $12.95/day. It's not even wireless!!! To use it, I'd have to sit at a small desk and that is not my idea of comfort.

I try to save money by bringing my own food in a cooler. Most hotels I willingly stay at allow me to use their kitchen's refrigerator to store it or they allow me to use a refrigerator in my room at no, or greatly reduced, charge. I do not have either option here.

The biggest complaint I have, in addition to the rude staff, is their van service from the airport. Every time I stay here, I wait a minimum of 45-minutes for a van. This is even after I am told that it is just minutes away! I continue to call back and am, constantly, told the same lie.

This last stay, I was told they mistook another crew for us. How is that possible when their airline is in another terminal?! After working a long day, it just adds insult to injury.

For the price this hotel charges, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend checking out another property in the area. There are so many to choose from, including others along the ski bus route. Stay away and be thankful!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel? Share your experiences!