“Heavenly Food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Copper Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,100 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: State St. & 300 S
Description: The Copper Onion is one of the new additions to the growing Utah foodie scene. Former NYC chef (and native Utahan) Ryan Lowder now brings his personal take on New American cuisine to his own kitchen with an approach inspired by his passion for Utah’s outstanding farmstead ingredients and his experience as a chef cooking his way through Barcelona, NYC and South America. The Copper Onion serves a wide array of vegetable side dishes and a menu designed to explore and share, with plates such as Ricotta dumplings with lemon, sage and brown butter and Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussels sprouts and pickled celeriac. Entrees include Fresh house-made papparedelle with lamb ragout and Duck Confit with butternut squash and roasted mushroom caps. An insistent focus on the freshest and best is paramount; sausages and burgers are ground daily, bread is baked and ice cream is made in house, offering casual diners an exceptional experience at affordable prices.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Heavenly Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The food here was fabulous, the service was outstanding. We shared the mussels which were in a butter wine sauce. I had never had mussels before and just fell in love with these. I order them everytime I go!!! The hamburger is great, the chicken is melt in your mouth outstanding!!
If you haven't been there yet, you're missing out!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

bwaybaby109
“Yum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I wandered in hot and sweaty from a day of walking and was promptly seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen. Since I was in town on business and alone, it was great to watch the chefs in action. I stuck with the evening's special of pork ribs over polenta, kale and mushrooms. It was sublime. My cocktail, though small, was also delicious and the staff was friendly. It's a little more than I would normally spend for dinner, but worth it.

Visited May 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Outstanding food, terrific service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The most innovative and delicious food we've had in SLC! Not pretentious, just honestly excellent food served by warm and welcoming strff.

Visited March 2013
North Carolina
“OMG”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant. The potatoes with aioli is wonderful. I had the halibut for dinner. It was so flaky and cooked perfectly. Paired with an asparagus salad, it was probably the best fish I have ever eaten.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Helena, Montana
“run, don't walk to the Copper Onion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

WOW!! Amazing meal here. I ate dinner with a girlfriend here last Saturday night. WE arrived around 8:30 and were seated at the bar, at our request. This turned out to be the best seat in the house. We could watch all the food being prepared as well as the staff picking up with meals. We saw about 15 meals we wanted to order.

Our server was friendly, helpful and professional. I sent a glass of wine back and when it turned out the error was mine - he was super gracious and made sure I was really really satisfied. He knew the menu inside and out and offered ideas & suggestions.

To start I ate the pepper cream mussles - DIVINE! Then, I ordered the pasta carbonara - probably the best one I've ever eaten. I nibbled on a few patatas bravas (as good as PB get) and the grilled asparagus special. The desserts didn't tempt me to much, so I ended up with the homemade ice cream which was not the best , but still very good.

I really wanted the bone marrow - we kept seeing it come out and it looked amazing, as did pretty much every dish. I cannot wait to come back.

Oh - the decor is modern/arty/trendy/hipsterish without being too much of all of the above. Its perfect.

Visited May 2013