You added University Guest House & Conference Center to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“TOP”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Best place to stay. No matter if you are young, old or travelling with kids, I would recommended 100%. Free Wifi, breakfast, fitness, close to the University, Hospital and Clinics, and super friendly staff!

Room Tip: All in One!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Smithfield, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A nice little gem in Salt Lake City. It looks and acts like a nice hotel, but with touches of a B&B which makes it a guest house! I stayed in a king room, deluxe. Clean, well kept. Unfortunately the old fashioned wall mount heating and cooling units were a disappointment. The lobby has nice touches, I forgot my cell phone charger, but there was a charging station, very convenient. A variety of coffees, teas, and ice water were available throughout the day. The staff was helpful and friendly. I missed having a pool, but instead I enjoyed walking around the most interesting surroundings. Historic Ft Douglas, Red Butte Gardens, and the Boneville Shorline trail are all close. Restaurants require driving or ordering delivery. Breakfast was good, varied, well presented.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tracy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I came from california, my niec was in hospital, we were shuttled to hospital twice a day, drivets were friendly and polite. Hotel staff were very friendly, helpful place very clean. Breakfest you at e given so many choices, which is awesome when traveling with children.
The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable.

Glendora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My son & I checked in to visit the University of Utah for Red, White & U day. The Guest House is located on campus near the medical center complex adjacent to Fort Douglas.

The hotel is a great value. The staff was friendly & accommodating. Our room was clean and had a great view of SLC. Breakfast, parking and WiFi are included.

Our family will be staying here again!

Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I just returned from a two week stay. I'll stay there again in a heart beat but here's the skinny.
The good:
It's located near the hospitals, near the University campus, near museums, near Fort Douglas (walking distance, 2 blocks) and the train. Parking was convenient. For the services offered it was a bargain. Full hot/cold breakfast buffet. Coffee, tea, cocoa, ice water, fresh apples all day long. Good size fitness room with cardio and weights, complimentary earbuds. In the lobby there was a bookcase with lots if board games which was a nice surprise. The free wifi was spotty with my Mac but someone at the desk gave me an access code to use that connected me to a different router that worked. The front desk staff are all college students...mostly cheerful and helpful, but definitely young. The laundry machines were less expensive than others but a little persnickety; one of the times I used it, had to call maintenance since it wouldn't start but he did respond promptly and fixed it.
The bad:
The train..the first room was on the corner, it backed up near to the tracks. The trains run every 15 min from 5:30AM-11PM, if you're bothered by noise, this will get you. I asked to change rooms on day two to a quiet room, explaining that the noise kept me up and I really needed to be away from the trains. I was moved to the "quiet area" looking over the glen. Unfortunately, just under my windows were the huge fans of the AC units/ air handlers for this wing? Even though I turned my A/C unit to "off" so it wouldn't kick on, I heard the fans whip up for everyone else's a few times a night. They offered earplugs which I tried but didn't like the feeling of, I didn't ask to move again.
I just went to bed earlier.
The ugly:
The decor was...worn, a little old fashioned. I got used to it after a few day but they could use a face lift in the rooms. The bathtubs was super slippery. They offer a rubber floor mat with suction cups for the tub, I would suggest using it and avoid straining your back as you slip getting in.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This guest house has accommodations similar to a mid-chain motel, such as, for example, the Hampton Inn. The front desk is very friendly. It is very clean. There is no option for eating within easy walking distance-it is at least a 20 or 30 minute walk to the closest restaurants. Apparently, they have a shuttle to bring you to or from that area, though I didn't use it. There is free wifi, but it extremely slow, and so I was not able to get much work done there. I traveled for government work, but the front desk personnel had no idea how to handle the tax free documents, and charged me tax anyway, which was somewhat frustrating, especially since she said she just had a military customer with the same form and that she couldn't help him, either. Note that this facility is adjacent to Fort Douglas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains. I did, though none was available (so I got one with a v...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
PerryHacker, Owner at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
kyoto5301,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments regarding our friendly front desk and cleanliness of our hotel, which are both part of our mission. Our shuttle is available from 7am - 11pm to take our guests to many of the surrounding restaurants and shops. We do offer two levels of free internet. An open service for anyone to use with not log in necessary, and a more secured service which requires log in credentials. This should have been explained to you at check in, and I do apologize for that. The State of Utah is very strict regarding tax exemption, even for government travelers. The laws are confusing, not only to our clerks, but to many of our guests as well. There are only a very few circumstances where tax exemption is offered. In all cases, funds used must be directly from a government agency in the form of a check or from a list of credit card prefixes which we are given from the State, regardless of what paperwork is presented. Tax exemption is never offered when rooms are paid for with personal funds. I do sympathize with you as this is frustrating for us and for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback. If I can help in any other way, please contact me at 801-587-1010 or email me at phacker@universityguesthouse.com.

Perry Hacker
Director
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at the University guest house for two nights and we're very pleased. We took the Trax from the airport directly to the Fort Douglas station where the hotel was a short walk away. The room was comfortable and the complimentary breakfast was good. A great stay, convenient access to campus, reasonable price, overall great value. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to University Guest House & Conference Center? Share your experiences!