“Exceptional Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Ogallala, Nebraska
“Exceptional Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I work front desk at a hotel, and I was so impressed with this Comfort Inn and their staff! I arrived early and Grace was so nice and got us into a room without any problem. She was so helpful, as we had never visited the area. Grace gave us maps and coupons to use. The place was very clean, and the breakfast was awesome. I just wanted to acknowllege what a wonderful job she did!! I would defenitly stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. I have passed them on tho Grace and I look forward to your next visit.

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The 2.5 day stay began 7/26/13, when a family member was admitted to a nearby hospital. After being up 28 hours, I arrived at this hospital in an extremely exhausted state at about 9:00 AM. I inquired about an early checking with a 1-2 night stay. The desk clerk was EXTREMELY helpful, understanding, and cordial. She placed me in a far away room to allow for rest and quiet while maintenance & housekeeping worked through the day. The room was very nice, Clean, well maintained, QUIET, and comfortable. The morning breakfast was nicely prepared and offered a great variety of choices. The bed and pillows were super comfortable.

I'd recommend this pet-friendly property without hesitation with hopes that you, too, will enjoy the same great service, welcoming attitude, and pleasant stay that I was allowed to have. GREAT JOB TO ALL AT COMFORT INN DOWNTOWN - SLC.

Room Tip: First floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
It was great to read your compliments.and I have passed them on to my staff. Thank you for taking the time to post them and we hope to see you soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This review will encompass two separate stays at this location, all within one week. We would have changed hotels on the 2nd stay had it not been for the advance payment we made to secure the 20% off rates.

The hotel overall is older and a bit run down. It was not all that clean since you could see dirt on the stairs leading up to the 2nd floor. The manager did have a weekday social hour, complimentary, but the wine was of low quality. I am not expecting anything fancy, but she could have at least chosen a better low-priced wine. During the 1st stay at the complimentary social, the A/C was not working very well and the heat was oppressive. We ended up going to our room. We mentioned it to the manager but she was not too concerned and mentioned problems they had been having. Even if you are not actively working on it, tell the customer you are.

The 1st night I was pleasantly surprised by the Broyhill furniture in the room. The desk, however, was loose and I actually had to use my own tools to tighten the legs. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. They even put the extra pillows in we requested in the comments section on the website. The shower drain did not work well, which should not happen since the cleaning crew is cleaning the shower, right? They should see the slow draining. We told the front desk.

The 2nd stay and room we less desirable. The room was non-smoking, according to the sign, but inside you can tell from the odor that at some point they converted it from smoking. Since the hotel was full, there was no option to change. The room was not as nice as the 1st room and the layout was not very good since the TV was so far from the bed. The desk chair was broken, in that it did not raise up, so I sat lower than the desk. I also informed to desk on checkout. The social hour was still there but this time the A/C was fixed, much more pleasant.

Overall, this is an average place but I would choose another location the next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and thank you for your business. My staff works very hard to provide a clean, comfortable room to all guests and I am very sorry that we were not able to give youa better experience.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel appeared clean and it appeared that the rooms were nice, but I did not get to experience the full experience as the management over booked the hotel and I was one of the lucky people to be bumped. When I was bumped, they put me at their "sister" property, which is next door. I was told that the property was identical, but I could use the ammenities and have breakfast at the comfort inn, which I found odd if the hotels were comprable. The "sister" property was a pit. Hands down one of the most disgusting hotels I have ever stayed at. When I complained to the management, they were unapologetic and blamed me. I contacted the corporate offices and they said they would compensate me for the experience, but I am still waiting on compensation. The staff was apologetic as apparently, the management at this hotel overbook the hotel all the time and do this to many customers, which the staff appeared to be uncomfortable with as they knew the two properties were not comprable.

I would not recommend this property due to the experience and the risks you run when booking here.

Room Tip: Select another hotel that will guarantee you a room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would really like to resolve this with you. If you will call me at 801-325-5300 I would like to work this out as I cannot find any information about your reservation in our system.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Room is a bit dated but the beds are comfortable. There're microwave and fridge in the room. Breakfast is ok, there's continental and hot breakfast (sausages, bread, eggs) which tasted pretty good. A few minutes drive away from the Temple Square.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind words. Though the building is older we underwent major renovation three years ago. My staff works very hard to keep the hotel clean and running well and it is great to see their hard work pays off.
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews left by unusually picky guests, but as someone who works in the hotel business, I can say that this hotel is FANTASTIC especially considering the average rate for the stay and the GREAT LOCATION!

This hotel is about a 5 minute drive to Salt Lake City Temple Square/City Mall, which is saying a lot for a very busy, crowded metropolis. I've heard other reviewers describe the location as "scary at night", but I can honestly say that this hotel was in a decently developed area, was well lit, and I and my family felt very safe and comfortable here.

The style of the building has a very classic feel to it which is nice, though the rooms and bed linens are dated. But the rooms were freshly laundered, free from insects, free from apparent stains, and smelled clean. You can't ask for more when you're paying anything less than $100 in a place like Salt Lake City.

The breakfast food selection was limited in its flavor variety, but was well stocked, fresh, and looked good. When you consider that the breakfast is COMPLETELY FREE, it's definitely a great deal!

The wi-fi was fast and worked well. There was plenty of parking in easy to access places. And the staff were very helpful in getting my family's rooms close together so we could care for my disabled sibling!

Though I did not meet the Breakfast Attendant, the gentleman on Frost Desk when I checked in late at night (for three rooms for my sister's wedding May 10th) was very kind and joked around with my father and I. It was a very pleasant exchange after a long day of travel! The two ladies at Front Desk in the morning were also very polite and efficient, so this hotel does get a thumbs up for some great customer service.

So while this place isn't a 5-star Ritz with a beachfront overlook...it is DEFINITELY a great place to stay when you're on a budget, looking for great service, food, and a convenient location.

I would definitely stay here again. Kudos!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! My staff works very hard to provide a great guest experience and your detailed comments are greatly appreciated. I hope you will stay with us again on your nect trip to SLC.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We found that although it is conveniently located it needs some urgent refurbishment. The room we were in had a very strong chemical smell obviously to disguise other odours.
The carpet was badly stained and the bathroom was in poor general condition. The staff on the other hand were friendly and helpful and trying hard make guests comfortable.
There are nearby hotels for not much more money that I would use in the future.

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments. We work very hard to provide a great stay for our guests and I am sorry we did not provide that for you during your visit. We are constantly working to improve our hotel and several upgrades are in process.

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!