“Some good, some not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #42 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Some good, some not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This review will encompass two separate stays at this location, all within one week. We would have changed hotels on the 2nd stay had it not been for the advance payment we made to secure the 20% off rates.

The hotel overall is older and a bit run down. It was not all that clean since you could see dirt on the stairs leading up to the 2nd floor. The manager did have a weekday social hour, complimentary, but the wine was of low quality. I am not expecting anything fancy, but she could have at least chosen a better low-priced wine. During the 1st stay at the complimentary social, the A/C was not working very well and the heat was oppressive. We ended up going to our room. We mentioned it to the manager but she was not too concerned and mentioned problems they had been having. Even if you are not actively working on it, tell the customer you are.

The 1st night I was pleasantly surprised by the Broyhill furniture in the room. The desk, however, was loose and I actually had to use my own tools to tighten the legs. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. They even put the extra pillows in we requested in the comments section on the website. The shower drain did not work well, which should not happen since the cleaning crew is cleaning the shower, right? They should see the slow draining. We told the front desk.

The 2nd stay and room we less desirable. The room was non-smoking, according to the sign, but inside you can tell from the odor that at some point they converted it from smoking. Since the hotel was full, there was no option to change. The room was not as nice as the 1st room and the layout was not very good since the TV was so far from the bed. The desk chair was broken, in that it did not raise up, so I sat lower than the desk. I also informed to desk on checkout. The social hour was still there but this time the A/C was fixed, much more pleasant.

Overall, this is an average place but I would choose another location the next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and thank you for your business. My staff works very hard to provide a clean, comfortable room to all guests and I am very sorry that we were not able to give youa better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel appeared clean and it appeared that the rooms were nice, but I did not get to experience the full experience as the management over booked the hotel and I was one of the lucky people to be bumped. When I was bumped, they put me at their "sister" property, which is next door. I was told that the property was identical, but I could use the ammenities and have breakfast at the comfort inn, which I found odd if the hotels were comprable. The "sister" property was a pit. Hands down one of the most disgusting hotels I have ever stayed at. When I complained to the management, they were unapologetic and blamed me. I contacted the corporate offices and they said they would compensate me for the experience, but I am still waiting on compensation. The staff was apologetic as apparently, the management at this hotel overbook the hotel all the time and do this to many customers, which the staff appeared to be uncomfortable with as they knew the two properties were not comprable.

I would not recommend this property due to the experience and the risks you run when booking here.

Room Tip: Select another hotel that will guarantee you a room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would really like to resolve this with you. If you will call me at 801-325-5300 I would like to work this out as I cannot find any information about your reservation in our system.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Room is a bit dated but the beds are comfortable. There're microwave and fridge in the room. Breakfast is ok, there's continental and hot breakfast (sausages, bread, eggs) which tasted pretty good. A few minutes drive away from the Temple Square.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind words. Though the building is older we underwent major renovation three years ago. My staff works very hard to keep the hotel clean and running well and it is great to see their hard work pays off.
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews left by unusually picky guests, but as someone who works in the hotel business, I can say that this hotel is FANTASTIC especially considering the average rate for the stay and the GREAT LOCATION!

This hotel is about a 5 minute drive to Salt Lake City Temple Square/City Mall, which is saying a lot for a very busy, crowded metropolis. I've heard other reviewers describe the location as "scary at night", but I can honestly say that this hotel was in a decently developed area, was well lit, and I and my family felt very safe and comfortable here.

The style of the building has a very classic feel to it which is nice, though the rooms and bed linens are dated. But the rooms were freshly laundered, free from insects, free from apparent stains, and smelled clean. You can't ask for more when you're paying anything less than $100 in a place like Salt Lake City.

The breakfast food selection was limited in its flavor variety, but was well stocked, fresh, and looked good. When you consider that the breakfast is COMPLETELY FREE, it's definitely a great deal!

The wi-fi was fast and worked well. There was plenty of parking in easy to access places. And the staff were very helpful in getting my family's rooms close together so we could care for my disabled sibling!

Though I did not meet the Breakfast Attendant, the gentleman on Frost Desk when I checked in late at night (for three rooms for my sister's wedding May 10th) was very kind and joked around with my father and I. It was a very pleasant exchange after a long day of travel! The two ladies at Front Desk in the morning were also very polite and efficient, so this hotel does get a thumbs up for some great customer service.

So while this place isn't a 5-star Ritz with a beachfront overlook...it is DEFINITELY a great place to stay when you're on a budget, looking for great service, food, and a convenient location.

I would definitely stay here again. Kudos!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! My staff works very hard to provide a great guest experience and your detailed comments are greatly appreciated. I hope you will stay with us again on your nect trip to SLC.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We found that although it is conveniently located it needs some urgent refurbishment. The room we were in had a very strong chemical smell obviously to disguise other odours.
The carpet was badly stained and the bathroom was in poor general condition. The staff on the other hand were friendly and helpful and trying hard make guests comfortable.
There are nearby hotels for not much more money that I would use in the future.

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments. We work very hard to provide a great stay for our guests and I am sorry we did not provide that for you during your visit. We are constantly working to improve our hotel and several upgrades are in process.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for a week on some business. Let's see, when I got here at midnight, the front desk was friendly, but the room was about 100 degrees, the air conditioning was weak and wasn't even on in anticipation of the guest, the hair dryer was broken, the television channels were unavailable, the window curtain was ripped to shreds, and there are stains deep in the carpet. Kinda gross. I complained and they fixed a few items promptly. I was rarely in the room other than to sleep, so didn't demand a room change. A low end "motel" at best in need of badly needed upgrades. The free breakfast was passable but never went to the manager's happy hour. Location is close to downtown so is reasonably convenient. Parking is a problem if you return late. Positives? The wi-fi was reasonably reliable. All in all, I doubt I will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at this Comfort Inn because it had a guest laundry (we have been on a road trip for a month and do laundry about every 7-10 days). Our room - No. 133 - was huge, but that was the only good thing about the hotel. The window was broken in two places and patched with scotch tape; the rug was unraveling where it abutted the bathroom tile floor; the ink/toner had run out in the printer in the "business center" and, even though we asked twice, was never replaced while we were there; there was NO HEAT in the room (temp went down to the 40s that night), and we were told the boiler had gone out and not "rebooted"; there was rust around the tub drain; the showerhead plate was coming off the wall; the showerhead would only mist around the edges and poured out the middle (not sprayed); the sheer curtain over the window had an 8" rip in it; the desk clerk was grumpy and didn't like the fact that we didn't want the room she assigned us on the street and wanted one away from the traffic; and last, the lady servicing the breakfast area (on the 2nd floor) glared at everyone, never spoke a word - but did make sure everything stayed replenished.
I brought up all of these problems when we checked out, and "Laura" was apologetic and wrote everything down on a "checklist." She also comped us one night's stay. Nice, but I still felt it wasn't worth the stay. If you don't need a laundry, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side - other Trip Advisors have made this recommendation, and I followed t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have recently undergone a management change and are working hard to correct any deficiencies. Your repair list was given to maintenance the same day and all items were repaired-I apologize that we did not correct them before you arrived. We are working hard with all of our staff to improve their performance and ensure everyone has a great stay.

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!