“Great stay for the price you pay!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
“Great stay for the price you pay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews left by unusually picky guests, but as someone who works in the hotel business, I can say that this hotel is FANTASTIC especially considering the average rate for the stay and the GREAT LOCATION!

This hotel is about a 5 minute drive to Salt Lake City Temple Square/City Mall, which is saying a lot for a very busy, crowded metropolis. I've heard other reviewers describe the location as "scary at night", but I can honestly say that this hotel was in a decently developed area, was well lit, and I and my family felt very safe and comfortable here.

The style of the building has a very classic feel to it which is nice, though the rooms and bed linens are dated. But the rooms were freshly laundered, free from insects, free from apparent stains, and smelled clean. You can't ask for more when you're paying anything less than $100 in a place like Salt Lake City.

The breakfast food selection was limited in its flavor variety, but was well stocked, fresh, and looked good. When you consider that the breakfast is COMPLETELY FREE, it's definitely a great deal!

The wi-fi was fast and worked well. There was plenty of parking in easy to access places. And the staff were very helpful in getting my family's rooms close together so we could care for my disabled sibling!

Though I did not meet the Breakfast Attendant, the gentleman on Frost Desk when I checked in late at night (for three rooms for my sister's wedding May 10th) was very kind and joked around with my father and I. It was a very pleasant exchange after a long day of travel! The two ladies at Front Desk in the morning were also very polite and efficient, so this hotel does get a thumbs up for some great customer service.

So while this place isn't a 5-star Ritz with a beachfront overlook...it is DEFINITELY a great place to stay when you're on a budget, looking for great service, food, and a convenient location.

I would definitely stay here again. Kudos!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! My staff works very hard to provide a great guest experience and your detailed comments are greatly appreciated. I hope you will stay with us again on your nect trip to SLC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We found that although it is conveniently located it needs some urgent refurbishment. The room we were in had a very strong chemical smell obviously to disguise other odours.
The carpet was badly stained and the bathroom was in poor general condition. The staff on the other hand were friendly and helpful and trying hard make guests comfortable.
There are nearby hotels for not much more money that I would use in the future.

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments. We work very hard to provide a great stay for our guests and I am sorry we did not provide that for you during your visit. We are constantly working to improve our hotel and several upgrades are in process.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for a week on some business. Let's see, when I got here at midnight, the front desk was friendly, but the room was about 100 degrees, the air conditioning was weak and wasn't even on in anticipation of the guest, the hair dryer was broken, the television channels were unavailable, the window curtain was ripped to shreds, and there are stains deep in the carpet. Kinda gross. I complained and they fixed a few items promptly. I was rarely in the room other than to sleep, so didn't demand a room change. A low end "motel" at best in need of badly needed upgrades. The free breakfast was passable but never went to the manager's happy hour. Location is close to downtown so is reasonably convenient. Parking is a problem if you return late. Positives? The wi-fi was reasonably reliable. All in all, I doubt I will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at this Comfort Inn because it had a guest laundry (we have been on a road trip for a month and do laundry about every 7-10 days). Our room - No. 133 - was huge, but that was the only good thing about the hotel. The window was broken in two places and patched with scotch tape; the rug was unraveling where it abutted the bathroom tile floor; the ink/toner had run out in the printer in the "business center" and, even though we asked twice, was never replaced while we were there; there was NO HEAT in the room (temp went down to the 40s that night), and we were told the boiler had gone out and not "rebooted"; there was rust around the tub drain; the showerhead plate was coming off the wall; the showerhead would only mist around the edges and poured out the middle (not sprayed); the sheer curtain over the window had an 8" rip in it; the desk clerk was grumpy and didn't like the fact that we didn't want the room she assigned us on the street and wanted one away from the traffic; and last, the lady servicing the breakfast area (on the 2nd floor) glared at everyone, never spoke a word - but did make sure everything stayed replenished.
I brought up all of these problems when we checked out, and "Laura" was apologetic and wrote everything down on a "checklist." She also comped us one night's stay. Nice, but I still felt it wasn't worth the stay. If you don't need a laundry, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side - other Trip Advisors have made this recommendation, and I followed t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have recently undergone a management change and are working hard to correct any deficiencies. Your repair list was given to maintenance the same day and all items were repaired-I apologize that we did not correct them before you arrived. We are working hard with all of our staff to improve their performance and ensure everyone has a great stay.
Campbell Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in Salt Lake City while waiting to fly back home. The motel was clean and within walking distance of Temple Square (about a mile). About 2 blocks from the free downtown train. The breakfast was very good and was supplied well. The breakfast area was very nice.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the parking side rather than the street side as it will be a lot quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review! My staff works very hard to ensure a great experience. I will pass your kind words on. We are very close to Temple Square and i would recommend that everyone vist this historic site and also the great new City Creek Mall.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Simply put, it was by far the best VALUE anywhere the Salt Palace Convention center... so I rated it as "Very Good" for what it is (not what it isn't). i.e. it's NOT a high-end hotel with room service, etc. But what it IS is a quiet clean room that has been updated fairly recently and has nice amenities and very friendly staff.

The nice extras that mattered most to me included AIRPORT SHUTTLE, Wi-Fi and HOT BREAKFAST. Was the breakfast "VERY Good"? Nope, but it was more than adequate AND the other hotels in the area didn't offer it AND it saved me time every morning!

It was a quiet and comfortable room.

The only negatives were the mattress dished (sagged in the middle) just a bit, and we had ongoing trouble with our room keys.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your visit. Your comments are very helpful to us. We hope to see you again!
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Though the hotel is on the edge and not really walking distance to most of the major attractions or adobe. But you can always catch the trax. Well to begin with besides clean /decent size rooms with a view of the city you have best staff and service. Though i love this city so do i love the breakfast and the people who manage it, particularly Darrell. Great person who will talk to you at length about anything in the city and surprise you with complimentary snacks / drinks or some special cuisine every evening.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!