“Informative” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The utilitarian home of Brigham Young, the president of the Mormon Church.
Salem, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
“Informative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I were very interested in visiting Beehive House on our trip to Salt Lake City. While not Mormon, we are interested in learning more about other religions. We did a 20 minute tour that was guided by missionaries. The two missionaries were from Brazil and Chile, so at times their accents were difficult to understand. During the tour they asked if each of us was familiar with the religion. Besides my mother and I, there was one other non-Mormon (of 10ish) on the tour. The missionaries asked questions and encouraged us to ask as well. Upon leaving, they were happy to tell us a bit about the outside of the home and the eagle gate next to the home. Even though the tour is only 20 minutes, give yourself 45 minutes in case you need to wait for a tour or want to look at the grounds.

Visited October 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
57 attraction reviews
“Like history? Worth a quick visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

House of LDS President and territory governor Brigham Young. Built in 1853 it has artifacts about Brigham Young. Mormon missionaries take you on guided tours of the house. We only had 15-minutes, so they gave us an abbreviated tour of only the 1st floor.

Visited August 2013
uk
20 attraction reviews
“not sure about the information given”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was a nice house to tour if you are interested in history as me and my family are, we are not of the morman faith in fact we are atheists but love history. The sisters who took us through the house where very pleasant but seemed not to be able to answer any of our questions, they also tried to get my daughter to read aloud from the book of morman and gave us leaflets on the faith at the end of the tour. we where also told that Brigham young was born in england, which we checked later and found not to be right, this cast a shadow on the tour and made us feel that the whole thing was fake, we don't need to be lied too, just given the facts.

Visited August 2013
Idaho
8 attraction reviews
“May I Have History, Please?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I was a little girl, I poured over the tour book my parents had of the Beehive House, devouring the details and captions and everything to do with the place. When I finally got to go through the house with my children, I was woefully disappointed, as the entire focus of the tour was proselytizing, not history. This push intensified when the tour guides found out I am LDS. It was very hard to enjoy sharing the house with my children while the missionaries pushed for us to give names of friends who might like to talk to more missionaries. The guides did not know actual historical details about the house (only bits such as which revelations were received in which parlors), and rushed us right along, without very little chance to just enjoy the place, and share the pieces I knew by heart from my tiny days.

In short: if I, as an LDS person, am put off by the heavy-handed religious push and left craving an actual historic house tour, how is a non-LDS person going to feel? Can't we please just have some real history?

Visited October 2012
Sandy, Utah
26 attraction reviews
“Interesting bit of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Brigham Young's house. It is interesting to see all of the details of life 100+ years ago. Lots of details to see. The tour guides are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). They are very helpful and friendly and answered all the questions we had. Fun young women to have as guides.

Visited July 2012