“My expectations hurt my chances of being impressed...” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Honolulu
“My expectations hurt my chances of being impressed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I having been eyeing up the beautiful-looking images of the rooms and suites advertised on the Hyatt Place website ever since this new "less is more" format from Hyatt came out back in 2006. I loved the way the rooms looked on their website, appearing both modern and classy, especially when you match that with what they charge for these rooms (I paid about $120 a night). So finally I decided to bite last winter and stayed there with my family on our annual Utah ski trip. The location has it's merit, since it is situated one block from the heart of "The Gateway Mall" in Salt Lake, a nice collection of outdoor stores and restaurants that form a somewhat unique shopping experience for people more accustom to the traditional enclosed and centrally heated shopping mall. Also, The Hyatt Place Downtown SLC is located dead center between all the really hot ski resort in Utah (Park City, Snowbird, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, etc.). That give us the freedom to jump into the car and just start driving in any one direction, and expect to end up at a World Class Ski Resort in about 45 minutes (really... any direction). So, with medium to high expectations, we drove up to the nearly new Hyatt Place front entrance to unpack the car and to check-in. Walking into the lobby, we were greeted by a nice lady who helped us check-in at their self-service kiosk. And here is the first hint that this is not a normal Hotel, or at least not like any other hotel that I have stayed at before. Imagine a compact sized modern looking Hotel that is built and designed to operate with the same philosophy as a 21st Century vending machine. During our entire stay at the Hyatt Place in Salt Lake City, I saw only 3 employees running the entire hotel, from the front desk, to the semi-self service restaurant, to the housekeeping department, to the parking lot attendant... Now I can see how they can keep the prices so low here. Less employees = Less ticket price. Well, I prefer to carry my own bags anyway (and not have to worry about how much tip to give). So we struggle through the lobby carrying our two giant snowboard bags and 5 other misc. bags, and somehow we managed to get into the elevator (there are two of them for guest to use) and down the hallway to our fourth floor guest suite. When I opened the door, the image I saw looked very similar if not exactly the same as what I remembered the Hyatt Place website had posted as pictures of their rooms... except in this case, reality did not "feel" like expectation or perseption. In another words, a picture is not always worth a 1000 words... more like 256 or 257 words. It was all there. The flat panel LCD TV, the techie interface panel, the separate sitting area, the super efficient floor plan, etc. Then why did I feel so empty? Even now, 6 months later, I don't know why I felt like that (like biting into that scrumptious-looking cherry pie, only to find the cherries way too sour). Maybe it was the feeling that the hotel can operate efficiently without the need of humanbeings (well, almost no humans). Also contributing to this strange soulless feeling was the fact that the hotel felt empty, even though the parking lot (located conveniently behind the hotel, nice but it did cost an extra $10 a day) was always nearly full. Asking my family about how they felt about the hotel and our room, I did get a split decision. My wife told me she would not stay there again. My two adult kids had mixed feelings about the room, but really like the semi-self service restaurant. They enjoyed to super late night or super early morning pizzas and other snacks that was available there, without the super outrageous price tags normally found with room service. Where all of us do agree with is the fact that this hotel was not designed for a ski vacation and therefore totally unsuitable for all the things that a family on a ski vacation brings on their ski vacation. The room, although roomier than the typical 250 sq ft guest room, was not really that much roomier. Certainly not roomy enough for a family of 4, 3 sets of skis and poles, 2 snowboards, 4 helmets, 4 ski jackets, and the rest of the stuff that we bring on these trips. We all felt cramped. And even though the room looked nice (just like the pictures), there was a "Barbie's Magical Dollhouse look and feel to all of the furniture. Nice to look at, but the things just did not feel like they were really made to be sat on or slept in. OK... OK, maybe I am being unfair in this review. Maybe if I were on a business trip and I needed a nice and modern place to stay that didn't bust the budget, maybe this is the place to stay. Maybe... but then... why did every male employee that I met at the Hyatt Place go by the name "Ken."

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Rock Springs, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The customer service at this hotel is phenomenal!! The staff will go above and beyond to make sure your stay is wonderful! The rooms are VERY spacious, the rates are great for the location and room size and the free breakfast is great. We had a couple of guys that were being loud and obnoxious in the room next to ours around 1:00 in the morning. I called the front desk to complain and the employee explained that they had received a couple of other complaints and that the guys had already been warned. Within 5 minutes, they were escorted off of the property and the rest of the night was peaceful. I LOVE THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed four days. All-suite hotel - 2 queen bed room had separate living room area with desk/chair, sectional sofa, mini-fridge and counter. Large flat screen TV on wall separating bed area from living area - swiveled well with no loss of view. Beds comfortable. Air conditioning unit efficient but very noisy. Great bathroom - shower actually had water pressure. Breakfast excellent - good selection of cold items included and (additional fee) hot foods delicious and made to order. Laundry on-site. Fitness center is well equipped. Pool is miniscule but has good seating around it to relax. Parking $10 a night. When we stayed, there was major construction going on behind and along the side of the hotel, but we couldn't hear it from our room (4th floor). Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here multiple times throughout the last 3 years. Whilst we found the service to be lacking during our first stay and addressed the issue with the management I wanted to write another review:

Service has improved to be responsive and friendly, generously well appointed new rooms, above average complimentary "quick" bfst - assuming the same level of service will be maintained HYATT Place will always have us as their guests the night before our departures during our summer and winter stays in beautiful Park City.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
tel aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel is in good location - just near Gateway shopping center and 10 minute walk to the Mormon temple.
The room was large and the bed was comfortable
The service was excelent

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Exceptional hotel. I was nervous at the 89 dollar per night rate, but did not need to be. The hotel was comfortable and clean. The beds were nice and we really enjoyed the large sectional with the ottoman to relax and watch the flat screen TV. The sink is seperate from the shower and toilet with lots of counter space.
Right beside the gateway mall so very nice location for shopping and food. Also a short walk to the temple square and the Jazz arena. Short drive to the Red Iguna for dinner, dont miss eating there.
The staff were friendly and attentive.
The breakfast was average but free so.. just do not order off the menu the eggs were bland and the bacon undercooked.
There is construction going on in front of the hotel for the new train tracks so until this is over I would request a room in the back of the hotel if you want to sleep past 6 am.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gainesville, FL, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

The only reasons this property doesn't get a "5" are that (a) the construction just outside meant that we were awakened a bit earlier than we wanted to be on a vacation and (b) The breakfast that is "included" is OK, but not great -- on our second morning DH and I both found ourselves ordering off the "pay" menu.

However, the positive aspects of our stay more than balanced this out:
(1) Owing to a VERY late train, our reservation had to be held longer than is customary.
(2) It was no problem for them to call us a cab at 3:30 AM.
(3) The location is prime walking distance to ES Arena and Temple Square, and is not that terrible a hike to the state Capitol building.
(4) Rooms are spacious and VERY clean.
(5) A slightly late (30 min) check-out so we didn't have to either stash, or walk around SLC with, our bags was no problem at all.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown? Share your experiences!