“Nice B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ellerbeck Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Ellerbeck Mansion Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Ellerbeck Mansion Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   140 North B Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84103   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Salt Lake City B&B and Inns
American Fork, Utah, United States
“Nice B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary this year. It he room was nice. We stayed in the Summer room. It is a little small but a nice room. The bathroom is nice as well. Debbie (the innkeeper) is very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Breckenridge CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is an excellent B&B located near the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with lovely old furniture; the breakfast is very nice and the owner/manager is lovely. My only hesitation would be that it doesn't appear to have air conditioning which could be a drawback in summer. It's in a great neighborhood of old homes and, as noted, you can walk to downtown Salt Lake which is well on its way to becoming a very vibrant city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Words cannot describe how magical our short stay in the Ellerbeck Mansion was. My friend & I chose this spot to sleep after a quick Internet search. We were so excited about the themed rooms for each season (we chose Winter Dreams). We arrived later than normal check in times but Debbie was more than helpful. She suggested many places to eat & showed us our beautiful, immaculate room! It literally shined. Though we stayed for less than 16 hours, we enjoyed the rest we got & the few sites we were able to see. Breakfast was absolutely delicious. Though our actually stay was quite enjoyable, it was our treatment afterwards my Debbie that truly was "above & beyond". We had left a few items behind & realized this upon arriving in Chicago. Debbie shipped them to us, only to have them shipped back to her. She stayed in constant contact with me over the course of one month to try & get these items home. Eventually, after credit card issues & delivery issues, Debbie sent the package home to my friend in Germany. This is above & beyond any thing I ever expected from a B&B owner! Wonderful service & if we ever make it back to Salt Lake City, there is no doubt where we will stay! Thanks again!

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

It’s not uncommon for the downtown SLC hotels to be completely booked or raise their nightly rates to some ridiculous amount. I was scheduled last minute to work at UofU and searched for my best lodging options near downtown. I came across an array of Bed & Breakfast (B&B) alternatives and read many reviews. I was instantly drawn to the Ellerbeck Mansion and decided to book my stay online. The website is very easy to navigate and the photos of each room are very accurate.
Upon my arrival, the mansion was located in the Avenues section just a few blocks from the heart of downtown. Lodged in a beautiful neighborhood with classic old houses surrounded by lovely mature trees and changing colors of fall foliage; the mansion is located on a corner lot with a small parking lot but plenty of street parking on a quiet one-way road. An old iron fence encases the unforeseen charm and character of this old home.
As you make your grand entrance into the seemingly humble home, you are greeted downstairs in the living area, which displays vintage furniture set around a fireplace. The two largest bedrooms are located off that main room on the first floor. There is a lovely staircase with a wall of stained-glass windows leading upstairs to four bedrooms and a common seating area centered around another fireplace.
I reserved two nights in the “Calm Seas” room. I very pleased as it was a comfortable, corner suite with small private bathroom. The room was decorated with calming, darker colors and the large windows were covered with wooden shutters. Be sure to open them after you awake to allow the refreshing morning sunlight to shine through. The room was decently sized, and although it was not a pressing issue for me – the shower stall was very small.

The breakfast menu included 3 choices: 1) egg option 2) bagel & fruit 3) yogurt granola parfait. Each guest can choose anytime between 7 -9:30 for their breakfast to be served in the dining room. I do wish that room had a little more flair. It is the most lacking room in the mansion, yet responsible for creating the second-most important experience of it all – breakfast. Luckily, the food was so delicious and plentiful that you forget about deficient dining room décor. Breakfast is an enjoyable opportunity to chat with the other guests.

Debbie, the Innkeeper, was so personable and welcoming from the very first minute. She takes great care of the mansion and lives on-site, and is available if needed. She proves herself to be very respectful of each guests’ privacy while making you feel welcomed and at-home.

I assume it depends on the other guests, but overall, the nighttimes are very quiet. I enjoyed my first two nights so much, that I cancelled my hotel reservation and asked Debbie if I could stay another night. The “Calm Seas” room was booked, so I chose to stay in the “Autumn Winds” room – and I’m SO happy I did! This suite was just gorgeous and picturesque, meticulously decorated with lovely hand painted leaf borders. The spacious suite included a nice-sized private bathroom, very comfortable four-post king bed, and beautifully decorated fireplace. By far, my favorite suite – definitely provides a more luxurious stay!
Room rates are very reasonable and match the value of each room. Every room has its own private bathroom; however, two of them are detached but bathrobes are provided. The rooms are also equipped with flat-screen TVs with a great variety of cable channels.

It is hard not to find the charm and charisma within each suite. There are so many personal touches that make each room special. The Ellerbeck Mansion is definitely the most pleasant and enjoyable stay in Utah. I absolutely cannot wait to come back!

Room Tip: Recommend the King-bed suites (Christmas Wishes, Winter Dreams, Autumn Winds) for couples as the sma...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had an impromptu weekend getaway at the Ellerbeck Mansion B&B. We were welcomed right away. The room we stayed in (winter dreams) was very clean, large and beautifully decorated. Our bathroom was down the hall but robes were provided for us. The other rooms had on suites. The neighborhood is full of historical homes and mansions. We were given three great options for breakfast. There was so much food I couldn't finish it all.
I will definitely be returning to this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed May 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We recently spent time at the Ellerbeck and I have to say that it was a big disappointment. While it was "o.k.", it lacked the charm and extras that one comes to expect when staying at a B&B. Honestly, there was nothing that set this place apart and I would have felt more pampered if I'd chosen a nice hotel for the same amount of money.

Aside from the antiques, the decor looked tired and dated, there just wasn't a freshness about it. The remodeled bathroom was nice, but would have benefited from a little TLC, the fixtures were clean, but the corners & moldings were dusty. Stains on the ceiling were unappealing as was the good sized hole in the ceiling.

Breakfast was served in a cramped room that that lacked any decor. It served it's purpose, but it was just blah. There was also a fair amount of clutter on the other surfaces in the room, papers and such. As for the breakfast - guests are given choices from an order form. The food was nothing special and nothing I couldn't go and purchase at my local Sam's Club or Costco. Disappointing because "Breakfast" is 1/2 the reason we like to stay at B&B's.

Now, in order to be fair, here are the things I liked. . .
The exterior is really beautiful
Beautiful stained glass window and staircase leading to the upstairs
Spacious bedrooms
It was quiet
Nice common area with a good selection of books
Guests have access to the kitchen until 10 p.m. and there was a good variety of snacks and beverages available to us

Overall, kind of a been there done that experience. I would not recommend

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mission Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Enjoyed our 3 nights stay. Comfortable beds and great house with plenty of places to sit and read and relax. Vey close to some good restaurants adn coffeshops. Loved The Wild Grape and the Pagoda (Japanese) restaurants nearby. Manager does great job!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Ellerbeck Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!