“NEEDS CUSTOMER SERVICE IMPROVEMENT - DESPERATELY!” 2 of 5 stars

America's Best Inn Salt Lake City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1009 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84111   |
Ranked #69 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Melbourne, Australia
“NEEDS CUSTOMER SERVICE IMPROVEMENT - DESPERATELY!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Although I had no problems at all I can see where this place needs improvement, and it is why I rate it as poor. No, wait, I did have problems with how this motel was run but they didn't hinder my stay or make me furious as others seem to have been.

I have concerns about the hospitality and customer service: firstly, you are given no paperwork - at all. You're made to sign paperwork but aren't given any copies. A woman wanted something in writing to say that she had stayed there, but the man (who I checked in and out with, mind you) said that they do not keep anything on file - receipts etc. - and after voices being raised on both sides he finally printed out a copy of the paperwork she had signed when she checked in. How did they even get the certificate to run this motel when there's no proper documentation being circulated and given to the guests? Absolutely terrible customer service. You can just hear the lack of effort when they answer the phones or speak to guests too.

Like I said, I had no problems myself though I do feel apologetic to those who did have problems or had become furious due to certain things or had mice in their rooms.

For what you're paying there should be a greater variety in the complimentary breakfast than just cereal, toast and waffles - but the coffee is better than most!

I only stayed here to get Qantas frequent flyer points but also because it's inexpensive compared to other Salt Lake City accommodations. But I will not return.

Room Tip: Don't complain. Don't book online.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lafayette, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I arrived at 2:30 am, exhausted. My sister had booked the room on line and I didn't know that my dog wasn't paid for. My sister had called ahead of time and mentioned my dog.. I am disabled and stayed in the handicapped room. The next morning I needed to use the room phone bcs my cell phone was dead. When I called the front desk to find out how to call out, the person at the front desk asked if I had a dog and screamed that I was stealing from him. He yelled at me to get out of the room immediately and said he was calling the police. He screamed several more times that he wanted me out now. My rental car wouldn't unlock, While I was trying to get in the car, the manager and another person were outside so I apologized for the mix up and offered to pay for the dog. They started screaming about having to decontaminate the room and demanded I get my stuff out of the room immediately. I am on oxygen and could not get anything done until I got the car opened. He continued screaming at me while I was trying to get in the car. I finally got it open and starting putting my stuff in. The whole time they kept screaming at me and saying I ruined the room, was stealing from them, they were calling the police and that I had been smoking in the room (I wasn't). I was having trouble getting my oxygen concentrator in the car. He finally put it in the car and told me to leave and he was going to arrest me for not paying the $20 pet fee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Henry, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Drugs being sold out of several rooms. People checking out cars in the parking lot. Called the pokice, who did NOTHING even tho there were tweaker crawling all over the place. Flying ants in our room. Disgusting!

• Stayed May 2014
Bothell, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

So we checked in got greeted with a yes (by the way he was on the phone :/ ) got our key to our room first thing in mind was this looks nothing like the pictures online mmmm???. OK got over that next morning got up super early to avoid staying in this really gedo room and said to my family let's check out the free breakfast so we did small room with signs don't take food to room, ok? Keep in mind they only had cereal toast and waffles so we left came back to our room at 9pm our card didn't work so went to front desk told them the issue and has it fix with an akward stare, went back to my room and say it wasn't cleaned went back and told them the owners son came to take a look and went on about their policy they aren't allowed to move things so I got over it but once I told him I was not happy with my stay he started yelling at me saying you don't like it then leave and closed the door on me so I had end told him to call his boss he did oh and the boss is his dad. Told him the issue he started telling me what is the problem why you come back in a yelling voice I told him my problem he didn't even want me to talk so I told him I want my money back that's when he said you get out! I call police I said fine with me cops came said they said a different story which was all a lie lol so avoid by all means this place! It's so on gedo and Grose people live their and if I would of checked reviews first I would of avoided this pain these people are big A holes!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Rock Springs, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The staff at the front desk was friendly, but the room was a let down. It was clean but the bed were not made the right way the bottom sheet then the blanket and then the top sheet had t remake the bed, the other bed the blanket was turned side ways so only went half way down the bed, no bed spreads on the beds. The heater was tuned up all the way and never got overly hot in the room stayed comfortable. No cups in the rooms had to use a drink cup from our dinner that we brought in. Limited tv channels no kid channels. And was noisy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I'm here with my brother on a snowboarding trip and we've been pleasantly surprised with the service here, given the low cost. Location is great. Rooms are clean, and sheets/towels/trash are taken care of each day. A great value in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2014
Pocatello
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is one of the very worst motels we have ever stayed at. We stayed at this place because
they were on a list given to us by the University of Utah Hospital and the weekly rate was very
affordable. When we arrived and received our key the room was occupied by someone else.
The next room was extremely smoked in and unbearable. The third and last room smelled bad
and was not clean. We had paid for this bad choice for 10 days but left after 6 terrible nights.
They brought clean towels to our room 1 night out of the 6 nights. The other nights we had to
go and ask at the desk. Each time we went to get towels they promised to clean the room the
next day but never did. The last night we were there my wife let me know that was the end of it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to America's Best Inn Salt Lake City? Share your experiences!