“The "Northern Californian Embassy" in Utah” 5 of 5 stars

Ski Packages
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California
“The "Northern Californian Embassy" in Utah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

Our second time staying here was definitely top notch. We are Northern Californians that feel a bit out of our element in Utah, but the Hotel Monaco makes us feel right at home.

Room was large (in a previous stay, we did get one of the small rooms) and decorated in the lively style that is standard for the Hotel Monaco chain. Many amenities in the room, and bed was very comfy. Great to get NYT at the door in the morning (instead of the usual USA today.) Breakfast at the restaurant was very good (though some people might find it a little pricey.) My understanding is that it is one of the top restaurants in SLC, not just the obligatory restaurant found in many business hotels. In the evening, we did enjoy sitting by the fireplace in the lobby.

The concierge helped us with a number of requests, including googling for and printing out a map we needed and printing out our boarding passes for an upcoming flight. All the staff were extremely helpful (and capable), though we never could get a goldfish for our room. The hotel is in a central area that will appeal to those wishing to seek out the limited nightlife that SLC has to offer. There are theaters and movies within walking distance. The warehouse district is not far away.

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Provo, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed there for our wedding anniversary. We had stayed the night before at the Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown, but wanted a new adventure. We got it. The room was flamboyant, and a bit eccentric. You had to basically sit back and take it all in. Not a relaxing room decor. It was a bit small, and probably only 1/2 the size of the Marriott room. Some nice touches included the Aveda products, the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and the gold fish. I was very impressed when the next morning they delivered the local paper and the New York Times to my door.They had noticed that I read the Times before. They also left a nice card and chocolates on our bed for our anniversary. These were nice touches. The robes, however, were too worn out though and not at all inviting. It looked like a very worn out robe. The front desk staff was very accomodating. Parking is expensive at $15.50 a day. During wine hour, we asked for a spirte, and were told all they had was bottled water. Exercise room a bit claustrophobic. There was only one person giving massages during the "meet and greet wine hour" and it looked a bit awkward. Here everyone was drinking and in the middle of it all, a person getting a back and shoulder massage. I would have thought they would have at a couple massagers and that it would be more discreet. TV selection was very poor. I would not recommend this hotel to families. I'd also not recommend it for more than one day since the rooms are quite small. Good luck.

• Stayed June 2006
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband, 6 month old, and I stayed here for 3 nights, and had already read the reviews, so we were prepared. Parked in the adjacent public parking garage for $10/day, $5/day on the weekend. Didn't eat the food there. But the lobby is lovely. We had a room on the 15th floor and the room was HUGE! Probably 10ft ceiling! Great view, soft beds, extremely clean room and bathroom. We asked for a crib and got it (a Graco pack and play). Don't ask anyone there for directions, though. Forget about early check-in. Better to just get a map yourself. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance. I would definitely stay there again!

Stayed May 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

I recently stayed at the Salt Lake City hotel as well as the Denver hotel as this is the best upscale pet-friendly hotel chain.
Compared to other reviews about this hotel, I found the prices similar to other comparable chains and had no complaints about the service and/or hotel itself. Perhaps others have higher expectations for the price???
If you travel with your pets often, this hotel chain is definitely one of the most pet-friendly. I've traveled with my dogs in California & Florida as well as a cross country move from the East to the West Coast so experienced most pet-friendly accommodations.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco on a business trip for four nights. Once you walk in, you almost fall onto a large canopied couch with twenty throw pillows that is smack-dab in the middle of the lobby entrance. Checking in was quick and they gave me a goldfish for my room. The furniture and overall look of the room was a nice change from the Motel 6's I'm used to staying in on my own dime.

The food at Bambara's was great - try the bleu cheese chips! The only real problem I had with the hotel was that their concierge forgot to bring up a pair of scissors I needed in time in order to leave for a conference (I was repairing my suit jacket). Also, the room service was slow (45 minutes to get a sandwich?).

Given the amount of money my company spent on the rooms and the kind of service I received, I won't be spending my own money to stay in this hotel if I ever come back to Salt Lake City. I will, however, come back for those bleu cheese chips.

Stayed March 2006
Bozeman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2006

Cramped, charmingly decorated room with comfortable double beds - doubt anything bigger fits in these rooms, linens were nice. Bathroom is cramped with no ventilation. Nice coffee maker, Nice complimentary toiletries. Room service food was inedible, cold and expensive. Paying $15 for Parking in an uncovered public lot! even with Valet service and "snow brush off" - the lack of security and cost is offensive. Staff was attentive and polite.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

Very comfortable beds. Restaurant downstairs is good, but room service is bad. Food came cold by the time I got it. Service was good, friendly help downstairs. Good location, close to shops and restaurants. Does NOT have a pool or jacuzzi, which was a negative for me. Also does NOT have a business center, which was also a negative for me because there was no internet access. Funky decor which I liked, but it's very specific and not everyone will like it. I definitely liked the first Kimpton hotel I stayed at, Hotel Solamar in San Diego, much better.

Stayed March 2006

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!