“Suprisingly excellent..” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tiberias, Israel
“Suprisingly excellent..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

First time at this hotel and the experience was an excellent one.. friendly staff. very good service.
The location is two blocks away from Temple square (great for shopping) and four blocks away from the Gateway shopping center. The room was equipped with all relevant appliances for a very nice business stay. I highy recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

If it's your first trip to Salt Lake City as a tourist I'd strongly recommend booking a different hotel as the Hotel Monaco is not set up for the tourist. Having mentioned to the hotel that it was our first visit to the city, we weren't given a map or any information to help us make the most of our visit.

The hotel offers free bike rentals on a first come first serve basis. On our 4 night stay, we asked at reception for bikes everyday at around 8am but they only ever had one bike on show in the reception area and said all the bikes had gone. We asked for information on the tram system and the receptionist gave us the wrong details on which tram to catch to a specific area.

We booked a deluxe king size room which was tiny and located in what can only be described as above an alley way approximately 30 feet across from an office block.

The only positive experience was the restaurant in the hotel which had great staff and good food.

It was our first time in a Kimpton hotel and it will be our last.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our stay at Hotel Monaco was excellent.The hotel is within walking distance of several great restaurants. It has a small hotel feel to it and we felt taken care of. But it is very nice. Kimpton always does a nice job. For those that travel with a dog, this has to be the nicest hotel in the US that accepts animals. It just doesn't accept dogs but had a variety of notions and activities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I love Kimpton Hotels, so this choice was a no-brainer when I planned a last-minute trip to Salt Lake.

I arrived before typical check-in time and was given my room. I didn't love the room, was willing to pay extra for a better spot. They didn't flinch, upgraded my room, no charge. Kimpton is awesome. Love it. Amazing room, early check-in, complimentary upgrade. Aways had good luck with them.

My bed was so cozy that I took a nap...easy after an 8 hour drive. I went and showered with the classy C.O. Bigelow amenities, then came to find the complimentary wine hour, and left to enjoy my night. Fun times. I can only say that I had a cozy sleep, awesome breakfast in the restaurant with great service and I would totally return to this hotel. Issues were fixed in a heartbeat but they were so minor that I can't even worry. Experience overall was fantastic. :)

Thank you, Hotel Monaco. I like Utah a whole lot. You helped!

Room Tip: ask for a better view, my first room was a low floor and facing another building (boring!) but they...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Teton Village, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After checking in relatively late (9pm ish), we were shocked to hear a knock on the door....it ended up being room service with a bottle of wine, two bottles of water, and an appetizer cheese plate. We were super confused on who it was from, and the room service attendant said he'd check the ticket and call me to let me know who it was from. It turned out that we had been the random recipients of a "Kimpton Moment".....it was completely unexpected and the PERFECT surprise!
We also were able to enjoy the 5 minute chair massages downstairs in the lobby one evening, which was another added bonus.
While I do love staying at Kimpton hotels, this was an exceptionally great experience. We couldn't have been happier with our stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SF Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I were traveling with our daughter, her two children, and her two dogs. We had a suite and a connecting two double room at the end of one of the upper floors. It was quite spacious. We arrived late, but one of the children was hungry and we were able to get room service even at the faily late hour. The next morning we had room service bring breakfast up and we ate around the dining table in our suite. It was very nice and faster thatn going to a restrurant. Altogether, this was an excellent experience. Parking is valet from a small driveway area off of the front door.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Loved the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake. Went there for a conference and this is really the only place to go. Similar rates as the other hotels, but totally boutique and the hotel restaurant is one of the best in the city. Excellent service, hip decor, and free wine in the early evening in the lounge where you can hang out and get to know some of the other people staying there. I met someone on a book tour and geologisits studying climate change. A great and relaxing place to stay, but there is more. The Theater is right across the street! When I heard about it, I walked over and bought ticket for that night's play, which had really good acting and great sets. Just a few blocks from the convention center, so it is no sweat to walk there, even in ladies shoes (I am female by the way). A hot tip is to get the goldfish. Not to eat dummy! This hotel, if you ask, will bring a gold fish to your room in a bowl to keep you company. You know, OK it's a fish, but surprisingly it makes coming back to your room a lot more homey and less lonesome. The staff was super courteous and they even had unbrellas for guests who stupidly (like me) did not think to bring one and then experience one of the rare rainly Salt Lake days. Beds were very comfortable and, like I said, the decor is modern and hip. I would say this is the best place to stay in Salt Lake. Oh, one other thing, it is in walking distance to the fabulous Salt Lake public library which has a great gift shop (I bought all of my Xmas presents there - no kidding). They have a lot of off the wall stuff and very reasonably (or cheap) priced. Also nearby is the Healing Mountain Massage School where I got an hour and a half masage for 60 bucks. Does not get better than that. Hotel Monaco is a great place to stay in Salt Lake and the only place I now stay when I go there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!