You added Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sunnyvale, CA
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on the first two nights of our honeymoon. The hotel was wonderful and the service matched it. We got in late as you would imagine (~2am) and still they brought up the bottle of bubbly and chocolate covered strawberries included with our package.

We stayed in a corner suite. It was clean and so large we couldn't even begin to use it all, even though we tried as we seldom left the room. The jacuzzi bath was large enough for two and I am a large man. L'Occitane's soap is one of the best smelling soaps there is. Lastly, the room offered an amazing view of the city.

We paid $249 per night for a one bedroom suite with the "romance package", which included valet parking. This was the best value of the honeymoon which led us through Tahoe and Carmel, CA.

Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in and will always have a found place in my heart. We have since stayed at another Kimpton hotel based on the experience here. That one was wonderful as well

• Liked — The lovely room!
  • Disliked — That we only stayed two days.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Stayed there for three night. It's fairly nice, but not that impressive. For people who are concerned about Parking, there are plenty of public parking space as well as meter parking around that area, but the area is quite scary.. Lots of homeless people walking around.

We also left our internet cable in the hotel, called their reception desk a couple of times, no one called me back to tell me if they found it. That was quite disappointing~

• Liked — Decor of the room
  • Disliked — Room is very, location is not very safe, and no response from their services desk after my request
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Mateo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

I stayed one night at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City in early April, 2008. The night before I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown in Salt Lake City. The HGI was far superior overall at a far lower price. The Monaco was ok, but in a direct back-to-back stay experience the HGI was a clear winner.

Both of the hotels were clean and well maintained, but the HGI is newer and fresher. The Monaco room decor was a bit tired. Both hotels had good shower heads over tub.

The only things better at the Monaco were the soap, a robe, a more comfortable chair and the Bambara Restaurant. The HGI was better in the following ways:

Full suite for $199 at HGI vs. junior suite at $339 plus $15.50 for valet parking at Monaco. Larger room, larger bath, more bath counter space at HGI. Two windows at HGI, one at Monaco. Flat-panel TVs with excellent reception at the HGI; older, conventional TVs with fuzzy reception at the Monaco. Free self-parking at HGI; pay valet parking at Monaco with 10-15 minute wait for car to be brought from remote location. Outstanding business center at HGI with 3 free computers, printer, multi-function machine, scanner in nice enclosed room vs. two credit-card activated computers in the open lobby at the Monaco. I think the computer charge at the Monaco was $6 for some length of time, but I didn't use because of having to pay.

The Bambara Restaurant is very good, but you don't have to stay at the Monaco to eat there.

In summary, I had a far better experience in a much larger and nicer suite and really enjoyed the business center at the HGI for $155.50 per night less cost than the Monaco. I also thought the Monaco front desk staff was a tad condescending. The staff at the Bambara was great. The two hotels are about five blocks apart with the Monaco in a slightly better location.

On my next trip to Salt Lake City I will pass on the Monaco and return to the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown and save more than $150 per night while having a more pleasant stay.

• Liked — Location and restaurant
  • Disliked — Credit-card activated computers in lobby
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

We recently enjoyed a great 4 night stay at the Hotel Monaco and I highly recommend it. The staff was attentive, the room was clean and quiet, the hotel restaurant was quite nice, the morning tea and coffee were very welcomed, and the wine reception was the highlight of the day. And complimentary shoe shining and wireless and L'Occitane toiletries.

Our stay began with a quick check-in and cute tricks performed just for us by the bellman's dog. The staff is very friendly and whenever you approach the front desk area, the bellmen and desk staff stand at attention, immediately acknowledge you and provide friendly and efficient assistance. It would have to be some of the best service I have ever received at a hotel.

Our room was very clean and comfortable (the bed and bed linens were just fabulous.) It was on the small size, but fine for us, and I know that when you convert a historic bldg to a hotel, you will have some rooms that tend to be on the small size. I do wish the windows could open. Housekeeping was efficient and always made up the beds. The turn down chocolates are fabulous! We were 2 doors down from the elevator, but in 4 nights sleep, I never heard the elevator door open, nor did I ever hear anyone in our hallway or in adjacent rooms. Not a single noise! The staff seemed to do an ideal job of spreading us out among the floors.

We had a rental car and never used the valet service once. There are plenty of parking garages around and metered parking on the street after 6 pm.

The hotel restaurant gets rave reviews from us for food, service, and ambiance. Great experiences - 2 dinners, 1 breakfast, bar.

Every evening there is a complimentary wine/beer reception - it is great to gather on the sofas and relax for an hour in a social setting with others in the hotel. A nice perk at the end of a long day. The tea and coffee in the morning was welcome as well.

We had a fabulous experience at this hotel and after 4 nights, we never tired of it, or had one complaint. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay, and I highly recommend this Hotel Monaco - it is very unique place to stay in SLC, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Staff, Decor, Atmosphere, Restaurant, Wine Reception
  • Disliked — The Bellmen's Dog only comes in on Sundays!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northeastern Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel, but there are a few things guests may want to know.

Number one, there is a $15.50 charge per night for valet parking, which is pretty much your only choice for parking. (The fee is added to your room bill).

Number two, our 'deluxe' queen room was immaculate and beautiful, but tiny. The sink in our bathroom wouldn't drain, but they sent someone immediately to fix it. He was quick and efficient.

Number three, the water pressure in the shower was very weak.

Number four, I could hear the elevator every time someone used it. I went to sleep to the sound of it and woke up to the sound of it. It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable.

I booked this room for a romantic weekend get-away but didn't find that this hotel offered anything that made it any more special than a less expensive hotel would have. Next time I'll spend the money I save on hotel charges for a fancy dinner and entertainment.

• Liked — The decor and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Tiny room, noisy elevator, weak water pressure
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hillsborough, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Carpets and furnishings are showing signs of wear. This greatly reduces the "fun and cool" feel and makes you feel like you are in a french brothel that needs sterilizing. There were a lot of little things like a slow internet connection in the lobby (at $5.95 for 15 minutes) and extremely slow valet car pick-up in the morning that make this hotel less than adequate for a business traveler.

Stayed March 2008
Salt Lake City, Ut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

The Monaco was elegant and inviting from the parking attendants to the beautiful rooms. We loved the fun and friendly staff, I am a big fan of the cabana shirts! It was our wedding night and got congratulated by each staff member we saw. The bar was lovely, the lobby was immaculate. Our room was decorated beautifully. We have been back several times since. We live in Salt Lake but love staying at the Monaco for a fun get away. The goldfish in our room was also a fun touch !

• Liked — The fine staff and the beautiful linens
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!