“Great location with matching accommodations I expect from a Hotel Monaco” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel

Summer Playground
Ranked #8 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location with matching accommodations I expect from a Hotel Monaco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We checked in to the Hotel Monaco for a one-night stay after a short ski trip in Park City. Upon arrival, the valet was quick to help with our rental vehicle and pleasantly explained the terms of the valet service. At the front desk, the friendly staff engaged us in conversation and provided information about the complimentary wine hour and massage later in the evening.

The room was what I expected for a Hotel Monaco--fun and colorful decor, clean, and an adequately stocked minibar. There was even a personalized welcome note on the bed for our arrival. The view from the room (10th floor) provided sights of the mountains along with views of portions of the downtown area.

After exploring the downtown SLC area by foot, we relaxed on the comfortable beds until dinner time. We decided to eat at the Bambara restaurant conveniently located on the first floor of the building and were not disappointed. The decor of the restaurant was fashionable and the food was above average.

For breakfast, we decided to take advantage of room service by using the order form found in our room. This is where we encountered a minor issue that was quickly rectified by the hotel. On the form we selected the time frame we wanted delivery to occur. During that time frame, we received an apologetic phone call from room service that there was a mix up with when breakfast was supposed to be delivered and were assured that it would arrive within 15 minutes. The breakfast was, in fact, delivered during that time and we were comped for it by the hotel--a very nice gesture that I feel exemplifies their strive to provide excellent service.

Checkout from the hotel was easy, and there was no wait for the valet to bring around our vehicle. An excellent stay overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked this place for about $100.00. We had a very nice room in the shopping area of Salt Lake City; a 10 minute walk to Temple Square; right next to the free Salt Lake City transit system (so you could easily get to other areas without a car).

The room was nice - we were a little concerned it would be small, but the nice annex area/closet area made the room larger in size; bed was super comfortable; and bathroom was mid sized.

The hotel is gorgeous; the included wine social and appetizer at night was fun. We could talk with others...and they were generous with their complementary pourings of wine. We got the package that also included breakfast - which was served at their nice restaurant downstairs.

Besides breakfast, we ate at the hotel twice. We ate in their dining room once; and another in their bar area. Both experiences were enjoyable. I found their gnocchi in particular tasty and delightful.

All in all a great hotel in Salt Lake City to stay at.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

located in downtown the Monaco does it right. the best room service food ever, great service from staff, outstanding restaurant and bar on property. close to convention center. great business gotel or a stop in the city before hitting the slopes

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Full disclosure : I am a loyal Kimpton brand lover and stay with them whenever I can so my review of the Monaco might be somewhat biased. That said I LOVE this hotel. While it doesn't have the quirky decor of the Portland Monaco or the understated sophistication of the San Francisco Monaco it has one this they both lack - AMAZING VIEWS of the surrounding Rockies and beautiful downtown Salt Lake City. If you are stuck in SLC (and I am sorry if you are) do yourself a faor and stay at the Monaco. On a recent visit (I have stayed there a few times) I arrived very late and in the middle of a rather nasty snow storm. My nerves were frayed and my back was sore. All I wanted was a hot meal and a big glass of wine (since it is SLC I would have to settle for a medium to smallish glass of wine). My assistant had booked the reservation on route so all I did was pull up and stumble to the front desk. I expected a suite with a jetted tub as that is what I always get at a Monaco but was very disappointed to find out that the room I had been booked into was a Monte Carlo Suite on a low floor with no jetted tub. The room category I wanted was sold out for the evening but Kevin assured me we could work something out the following day since I was with them for several nights. I agreed and travel weary and glad to be out of the cold I retired to my "suite". More of a junior suite than an actual suite, the Monte Carlos is vastly decorated in the stylish fashion of a Monaco but is rather cramped for a room with the designation of suite. The fabulous Bambara was no longer serving given the late hour so I was forced to order from the late night menu. I selected a baked ham hock mac and cheese with a glass of an Oregon Pinot. Fourty-five minutes later what arrived was a decent pinot and a steaming plate of KRAFT Mac and cheese. And to add insult to injury the mac and cheese wasn't even prepared well. There were clumps of pasta stuck together and it was as bland and chemical laden as any processed food. I was livid and called the front desk right away to complain. Apologies all around the offending plate was promptly removed and I went to bed hungry and upset. The following day I spoke with the front desk manager Ricky and another manager Jessica regarding the issue with the food and my reservation. They were effusive with apologies and solutions. I was moved to a fabulous suite on the 16th floor with commanding views of the surrounding mountains and remained there for the duration of my stay at no additional charge. I was assured that they would no long longer serve processed food on the late night menu and Jessica had a bottle of wine and a plate of Bambara's delicious house made kettle chips with melted blue cheese sent up to my Oscar viewing party. Every employee I encountered from valet, bell hop, Bambara host and servers and all the front desk staff were exceptional and went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. I highly recommend the Monaco anytime you find yourself in Salt Lake City. Great job guys!!! Thank you!

Room Tip: As for a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Newtown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco several times in the past several years experiencing the standard rooms, the premier rooms, and the majestic suite. In New York or San Francisco, this would be a mid-range hotel. As there aren't any high end properties in SLC proper (don't let the Grand America fool you into thinking its 5 star), the Hotel Monaco is Salt Lake's version of a luxury boutique hotel. With that comes nicely appointed rooms, done in a modernized art deco style. The mini-bar has unique touches that add to cute feel of the hotel (leopard print sleep masks, for instance). The hotel itself has an above average staff. In years past, a big draw of staying at the Hotel Monaco was the downstairs restaurant, Bambara, which no longer has the quality and appeal that it did prior to its downward face lift and change of executive chef. Fortunately, the hotel's location is quite prime, located right on Main Street and a stones throw from some great restaurants (like Pallet and Copper Onion). Overall, Hotel Monaco is still your best best if you are staying in the valley.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is pet friendly! When we booked online we stated we had a dog. When we got to the room they had a big fluffy dog bed, treats & dog bowls for our pooch at no extra charge! The hotel was beautiful! Not just the lobby/common areas but, our room was lovely as well! It was a little small but, they state the square footage on the website. C.O. Bigelow soaps & lotions. A very friendly, helpful staff. I would love to stay again!!

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Absolutely, from stepping out of my taxi upon arrival, the best service and attention I've ever received! Including other Kimpton properties. They even new my name before I had paid the cab fare. I guess they saw it on my luggage and front desk even knew it before I approached them. That's the way it started and it maid my trip!!

Room Tip: High floors for quiet and better views facing east.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!