“A Stylish Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Utah
“A Stylish Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I snuck away for my birthday and stayed in downtown Salt Lake City. This Kimpton property is located in an historic building (the first drive thru bank in the country was here) in the heart of SLC. Located within walking distance of many restaurants and the fabulous City Creek shopping center. Valet parking was free with our room rate. Be sure to double check that parking is included when you make your reservation. If I had made my reservation on Hotels.com, parking would not have been covered.
The lobby is small but beautifully decorated in a very over the top modern-meets-traditional style. The front desk staff was helpful, courteous, and efficient. Our room was clean and nicely appointed, if on the small side. However, the overall feeling was cozy rather than crowded. Good water pressure and lots of hot water are always a plus in my book. The hotel was quiet during our stay on December 30. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Happy Belated Birthday!

Our building was once the First Continental Bank, and sometime in the 50's they connected another building to the tower. (that other building was a hotel) to make way for the nations first drive thru banking service. How Cool!

I am happy that your sneaky getaway celebration was a stylish experience and so much more. I agree with you on booking on our website, as you can always find the best packages and promotions when you book with us.

Hopefully you stay with us through NYE this year too. I look forward to meeting you again in December.

Regards,

MaryLynn Beck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Sierra Vista, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for New YEars Eve 2012. The property is situated right in the middle of downtown Salt Lake city and in easy walking distance of City Creek Shopping Center and many other attractions. We had a few hiccups with the valet but overall our stay was wonderful. The hotel is decorated with a sense of fun with thoughtful details like a complimentary cocktail hour and a small candy bugget. I joined the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program when I made the reservation and was pleasently surprised to find out we had been upgraded upon checkin. The Corner King room was well appointed and the bed was very comfy. The only drawback to the room was the outdated decor in the bathroom. It seems like the hotel hasn't quite gotten around to renovating the bathrooms yet. Room Service was quick and yuumy. It was expensive but not more so than any other nice hotel we have stayed at. Overall, I would highly recommend for couples looking for a weekend staycation!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hey who you callin' Quarky?... :-) We love being Quarky!

We are the best place for couples to take a staycation in Utah. With the TRAX line in front of us, and shopping near by, what's not to love. Even the Gallivan Center that celebrates NYE in the city is just steps away from us. Having a great restaurant like Bambara in our Hotel is icing on the cake for couples......Speaking of Cake I would recommend the Hot Chocolate Fudge Cake!

I love the Corner King rooms too, they have some of the best views as well as a good floor plan. These are called King Premier's - it's my personal favorite.

I hope to ring in the new year with you again...

Colorado Springs CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was my second stay at the Monaco SLC. I got a great winter rate exclusive to Kimpton In Touch members. At the time I made the reservation, I didn't realize it was during Sundance. Something to consider for future stays, as I found the hotel to be extremely busy and, in my opinion, short staffed. I say this because I had to wait in line every time I was at the desk and whenever I tried to reach someone via phone (i.e. concierge, room service, etc.) I was told I would receive a call back.
Upon arrival, I was placed in a king corner room. This is the only room type I have stayed in at this property and I appreciate the spaciousness of the room. I was told that an upgrade was not available because the suites were sold out. As an Inner Circle member I was very disappointed in my welcome amenity or lack thereof; one bottle of wine. That was it. The Monaco SLC could take some pointers from Monaco Philadelphia or Monaco Denver whose welcome amenities for Inner Circle guests are thoughtful and matched to their preferences. I also uttered the January secret password at check-in. For this, I received a plate of 1/2 dozen cookies sans milk. I had to ask for the milk, which Issac delivered with a smile. After a tiring day of snowshoeing, I ordered room service one evening. The room service attendent was helpful and pleasant. The food was good if not overly salty. After receiving a late check out, I arrived at the front desk to a line of at least 8 - 10 people on a Monday afternoon around 2pm. Apparently, the Outdoor Retailer trade show was in town adding more guests to an already busy hotel. Seeing as I did not anticipate this and did not have time to wait, I asked the agent, Whitney, to just email me the final bill, which she did promptly (same day).
I like the rooms and the location of this property; however, I was not wowed with the type of Kimpton customer service I have become accoustomed to on this particular stay.

Room Tip: Corner rooms as spacious with multiple windows
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to detail your experience with us.

The Outdoor Retailer Conventions we have twice a year does make the city very busy and at times puts a pinch in our service experience which we care alot about. Thank you for your feedback we will use it to ensure we have the support when needed.

We also have kicked up our Welcome Amenity Experience for our Inner Circle's and hope that in the future you could experience it the next time you are in town.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the future as I would love to meet you in person.

Yours Truly,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon, and it was a very nice stop on our road trip. We were a little apprehensive about being a gay couple in Utah, but the staff at the Monaco put us right at ease. We arrived just before the end of their complimentary wine hour in the lobby - a lovely surprise!

They were kind enough to upgrade us to a junior suite with a large sitting area, and the decor was sleek and the bed comfortable. The hotel's right on the light rail line, which is free downtown, so it couldn't be more convenient.

One small, weird detail: the bathroom counter was unusually high. It was fine for us, but if you're short this could be annoying!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with our team. Our wine hour goes on from 5pm-6pm everyday, and we offer some appetizers from Bambara as well as host complimentary Chair Massages. I hope you were able to enjoy it on some of the other days during your stay.

I noticed we upgraded your room to our Monte Carlo Suite, which some of them have "Tall" finishes. We call these our "Tall Rooms". I apologize we didn't inform you of that feature before you got to the room and I can see how it could be an odd experience if you didn't know.

We have a variety of different products and services to cater to everyone. We don't welcome diversity we celebrate it. I am happy we made you and your husband feel welcomed.

Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was on business but the hotel was worth the trip to Salt Lake City and the people were so friendly it was scary. I am from NYC not use to every body smiling and being happy. I recommend this place to any one visiting SLC.

Room Tip: This hotel is worth the trip to Salt Lake City and the service was excellent. It is in walking dista...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review - we do have a friendly bunch of employees working here. Each day I am surprised with the cool experiences my team creates for our guests as well as for each other.
Our Kimpton Properties in NYC lead with the same service culture here as well. Eventi - A Kimpton Hotel has some of the most amazing views of the city. I hear some guests receie surprises with Cup Cake Monsters.... How Cool!

Hope to see you soon.

cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My first stay didn't go so well. However, this stay more than made up for it. Room was clean and large, room service was great, the staff was extremely friendly. The location was perfect. Right in the heart of shops and restaurants. Easy walk to Temple Square. Will probably be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your excellent review! So glad we got it right this time! We hope to see you again very soon.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My family and I spent 3 nights here in Jan. 2013 on a business trip. The staff are friendly, very helpful and above all professional. The rooms are clean, the restaurant is superb and we had a great time. I was even able to get the upgrade to a suite and that made that much better. The only down side is that the fitness facilities are quite small and their is no pool, however it's in the heart of downtown with tons of great food offerings within a short walk. I couldn't have asked for a better time in SLC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your great comments! I know our fitness center is a little small so next time you are here we will get you all set up at a gym just a few blocks from the hotel. Hope to see you soon.

MaryLynn Beck

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!