“I love the Hotel Monaco” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Playground
Ranked #9 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Moab, Utah
“I love the Hotel Monaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Hotel Monaco never fails to please. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We did an e-upgrade (most recent visit) and we were very pleased with the suite that was prepared for us.
I strongly recommend being an Intouch Kimpton member. It does seem to upgrade your overall experience.
I have been staying at the Monaco (and other Kimpton hotels) for over five years and I am disappointed in the redecoration of the SLC Monaco's lobby. I loved the previous lobby. The furniture, colors and textures were so welcoming and yet still elegant. The new lobby is less welcoming and frankly rather stark. I'm hoping the re-redecorate again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they're generally bigger. I've seen the base rooms and they don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

601 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very friendly, welcoming professional staff who gave us an upgrade to a beautiful suite as we were on honeymoon complete with wine in our room. Suite was gorgeous with cute furnishings and I loved the fun animal print robes too. Free coffee in the morning and the wine and nibble hour was a lot of fun and a great start to a night on the town. Utterly excellent stay in a good, central location. Loved it here and can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Room very clean. Valets & bellmen very courteous. Room small, with a goldfish bowl taking up lot of space on desk. Not a lot of flat room to put things. $10 free from minibar. Great disappointment because restaurant & bar were closed on arrival bec. of Labor Day. We paid for this 'perk' in our room rate but did not get it. Had to leave hotel for dinner after a long trip on the road. Also, breakfast was not complimentary & price of breakfast was rather on the high side. All things in consideration, we feel we did not get the value that we paid for in this much touted hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here on a one night business trip to Salt Lake City. Room was nice and clean, little small for the money. Front desk agent was nice. She told me all about the property. Not really needed for a one night stay. Within walking distance to everything, mall, right aide and more close by. Called down the next day to make sure I had a taxi waiting to get to the airport. When I walked out not a taxi on site. No worries I was early. Next thing I know a town car pulls up. I really don't mind taking town cars but when you are expensing it to the company it's hard to explain a town car / limo receipt to the boss. They explained it would be the same price as a cab. Well, it wasn't the same price. Only $5 more but again hard to explain to the boss. Cab ride to the airport $20.00 and about 15 - 20 minutes away from the airport. Nice place a little over priced. Will I stay again?? Depends on the price, I think anything under $125 it would be worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel upwards of 20 times and always had a great experience. And I should have reviewed it then. However, the last stay was a pretty frustrating experience from beginning to end. I've also been an Inner Circle member (but am not this year), which may or may have impacted how I was treated.

At any rate, as others have noted here, the customer service is abominable - starting at the top. I left a message for the GM to chat with her after checking out and never heard back. Wow - not what you'd expect for a Kimpton property. Guess I'll contact the CEO.

They need a complete overhaul of staff here to restore what was a great hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Good Morning!

I can't tell you how sorry I am for the lack of my response and the poor customer service you experienced during your stay. I would love they opportunity to speak with you.

Warmest Regards,

MaryLynn Beck
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel for a while. My daughter made the reservation for me however when I called the hotel the "rude" snob who answered the phone said that there was no reservation for me although I gave him the confirmation number and spelled my name several times. I therefore made reservations at another hotel (which by the way is awful) but when my daughter called the hotel back she said the other personnel who answered the phone were very nice and did in fact find my reservation. However, I thought that if I was going to be treated so rudely on the phone, I did not want to deal with any staff in person, I was "fined" $172 for my trouble. I know people love this place but I am very distressed with my experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City is very conveniently located. It has an advantage (for downtown hotel) of having an off street entrance for arrivals and valet parking. Everyone employee we met was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a nice size, clean, and comfortable. We were not able to take advantage of the afternoon social/wine hour, but it looked like fun. All in all, we highly recommend the Monaco (and will be checking into other Kimpton hotels when we have the opportunity).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!