“Should have listened to my Wife” 2 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 20%
Ranked #8 of 76 hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Should have listened to my Wife”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Second time visiting for New Years celebration, first time in 2009 was a blast nothing could go wrong so we booked again for 2011 and it was ugly. Desk staff was nasty on check in,overkill on noise and smoking waiver. Room service was good,had to listen to a barking dog on one side and a party on the other(what,they didn't have to sign the waiver?),had to delid the toilet 'cause it ran all the time,icing was no hot water in the morning for my Wifes shower. Canceled second night leaving feeling like a criminal for complaining. Felt like most that worked there had no hotel experience, no one knew what to do.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Wow, we really messed up! I am so sorry this was your experience with us. You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us. We really hope you will give us another chance. Please contact me personally if you want to come back and I will make sure you are taken care of.

Warm Regards,

MaryLynn Beck

635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Saltsjo-Duvnas, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were in town for a 8 night stay and wanted a nice place to live. With no previous experience of hotels in Salt Lake City or the Kimpton brand we found The Monaco hotel by googling for "places to stay in Salt Lake City" and The Monaco came out on top. Visiting their website made me convinced that this could be the hotel we were looking for. A clean and fresh look and feel and a super-simple booking routine made the process easy. But the best part - the rates were fantastic value. We booked two superior rooms for 5 people and got a question if we wanted an upgrade to a two room suite at just 19 USD per night extra. Done!

Arriving at the hotel after a 23 hours journey from europe was a pure pleasure, super friendly valet guys took care of the car, super-friendly front desk staff made the check-in so easy i had to ask if we actually were done. The bellboy brought our luggage (a lot) to the rooms in a second.

The rooms were fantastic, roomy, clean well equipped with a super great bed. Stylish interior that felt as the room was newly renovated.

The entire stay was a pleasure, the restaurant and the bar was supposedly one of the hot sports in town and they lived up to the rest of the standard.

The only downside was that the WiFi internet was a bit slow from time-to-time, but hey your note in town to stay in the room and surf the web :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 200 street or Main street
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I had to do a quick trip to Salt Lake City arriving on the day after Christmas, which I wasn't terribly excited about. I chose the Hotel Monaco based on good experiences I had at other Kimpton Hotels.

Very happy I chose it! The rooms were spacious for a city hotel - I had a king size bed and there was enough room for an entry hall, dresser and desk without bumping into anything! The rooms were very sound proof - from the outside to the hallway. I never heard my neighbors. The room had a very fresh spa smell and was immaculately clean. My only comment is the bathroom counter, sink and mirror must have been built for a king size person as I am 5'7 and it hit me mid waist. I felt small!

All of the personnel from the front desk, to the valets and restaurant and bar were really friendly and gave great service. I was very happy with the food there although felt that breakfast was too pricey. There is no need to spend $25 on breakfast and I wouldn't have if i was on my own money there instead of business. I had dinner at the bar and loved it.

I would stay again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is Salt Lake's real luxury hotel as far as I am concerned. Always made to feel welcome. I enjoyed the chair massage and wine tasting in the lobby. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed watching the ballgame in the bar.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights during the holidays. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is simply, fun. I cannot offer anything other than praise. We are very experienced travelers and felt very much at home here, very soon after our arrival.

Recommend: meeting the hotel's pet concierge Jazzy.

Room Tip: we had a corner room with two windows that felt spacious
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. Things started off great when we got a free upgrade to a suite where a live pet goldfish was waiting for us. After we got settled, we received a call from the front desk that they forgot to tell us that the water would be turned off the next day at 10 for some renovations. That was a hassle but not a big deal.
What just killed our stay was the second night when we were awoken by banging, sawing, clanking and shouting. It was 1 am. My husband looked out our window and saw some workers lifted up just above our floor. We were on the sixth floor. I called the front desk and he rambled on about replacing some broken glass. AT ONE AM? RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR ROOM? The receptionist never apologized or gave a reason why this was going on in the middle of the night. He said we could switch rooms. Would you switch at 1 am? We didn't and listened to the noise for another hour. When we checked out, we were never asked if we enjoyed our stay. We did NOT. Who wants to celebrate their anniversary like that?

• Stayed December 2011
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Good Morning,

That should have never happened, any of it! I am so sorry that we didn't make this better and ruined your special occasion. We would love to make it up to you and I hope you will give us another chance. Please contact me personally.

Warmest Regards,

MaryLynn Beck
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We just got back from spending a week in the Hotel Monaco and it was one of the best experiences we have had in a hotel anywhere. The location is perfect for whatever you need to do in downtown SLC. The staff was consistently terrific; friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about area restaurants and activities. The decor is modern, warm and very pleasing to the eye. The place was spotless. We had a corner room which gave us two windows to see all the lights and activity in the area. The beds and pillows are the most comfortable I have found in any hotel and the thermostat was very accurate making the room even more comfortable. The only thing that was a bit annoying was that the hot water took at least five minutes. Our room was on the tenth floor, maybe that was the reason, but it felt very wasteful to run the shower for so long and not be able to use it. As I am an In-Touch member we got free internet and a $10 coupon for the fridge. The Wifi was fast and the coupon came in handy for the occasional soda after walking around the city. As AAA members we got a very good rate which included continental breakfast each morning. We also tried other items on the menu and everything was delicious! I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on going to Salt Lake City, even if you are going for the skiing, which we did. Alta is about a 45 minute drive and since there isn't much to do up there after skiing, we preferred to come back to the city and enjoy the local restaurants and our favorite bar, The Beerhive!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, preferably a corner one. That way you'll be away from any noise from elev...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!