“Exceptional hotel and staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 20%
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“Exceptional hotel and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We just got back from spending a week in the Hotel Monaco and it was one of the best experiences we have had in a hotel anywhere. The location is perfect for whatever you need to do in downtown SLC. The staff was consistently terrific; friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about area restaurants and activities. The decor is modern, warm and very pleasing to the eye. The place was spotless. We had a corner room which gave us two windows to see all the lights and activity in the area. The beds and pillows are the most comfortable I have found in any hotel and the thermostat was very accurate making the room even more comfortable. The only thing that was a bit annoying was that the hot water took at least five minutes. Our room was on the tenth floor, maybe that was the reason, but it felt very wasteful to run the shower for so long and not be able to use it. As I am an In-Touch member we got free internet and a $10 coupon for the fridge. The Wifi was fast and the coupon came in handy for the occasional soda after walking around the city. As AAA members we got a very good rate which included continental breakfast each morning. We also tried other items on the menu and everything was delicious! I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone planning on going to Salt Lake City, even if you are going for the skiing, which we did. Alta is about a 45 minute drive and since there isn't much to do up there after skiing, we preferred to come back to the city and enjoy the local restaurants and our favorite bar, The Beerhive!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, preferably a corner one. That way you'll be away from any noise from elev...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is hands down the best hotel in Salt Lake City. I arrived needing to do work and asked if I could pay for a larger room to spread out my documents. I was upgraded to a suite without charge. The rooms have great, quirky decor, and you really don't feel like you're staying in a chain hotel.

Now, my only complaint is about the room service options. If the kitchen in the restaurant is closed (which was fairly early on the Sunday night I arrived) your options are limited to warmed up sandwiches, and other similar options. This is unfortunate -- I understand that demand goes way down on a Sunday night for room service, but it would be good to have some varied salad options, and simple hot dishes.

On the flip side, the restaurant downstairs is, again, one of the best in the city. I ate there for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and have even eaten there when the hotel itself is full.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

The Hotel Monaco is an excellent hotel with nice rooms and a central location, but what really makes the hotel a great place to stay is the terrific staff. Everyone was friendly and professional, and they really went out of their way to be helpful and make the stay enjoyable. The rooms are well decorated and good sized, the beds are extremely comfortable, and although the bathrooms are rather small they are well-designed, the robe and towels are plush, and there is plenty of hot water. Everything is well maintained and very clean, due to the hard-working housekeeping staff. Wifi worked well. Room service is excellent and served quickly. The hotel restaurant is top notch. Exercise room is adequate. There is complementary coffee in the lobby in the morning and a happy hour in the evening. Location is convenient to Temple Square and other downtown sights. Overall, a truly first class hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We chose the Monaco as a place for our honeymoon. It is close to Temple square and all the downtown activities as well as the rail system. Check in was very easy and because I am a member of their rewards system I received two cards for discounted items from the in room snacks and free internet. We had signed welcome cards to greet us on the bed. Parking is $17 a day and there is little to no street parking.

The room is lovely but very small. Very boutique. The bathroom is very nice but has no exhaust fan and it is so close to the room that can be problematic. The bathroom amenities are AVEDA, which I love. Lots of hotwater, good granite counter space, a blow dryer.

The refrigerator in the room is stocked with very expensive snacks,with no room for personal items without removing the contents. I liked the snack and "extra" selection but did not purchase any due to the price. I thought it wonderful that they offered Tom's flouride free toothpaste since I use flouride free toothpaste. I didn't need it but thought it was great to have on hand just in case. There is a somewhat ugly robe that is comfy for guest use. They had slipper socks in the closet with a warning that if they are used it is an additional $15. Just about everything at the hotel is extra. The bed was very comfortable and it was very nice to have an ipod player in the room. I requested a steamer (I needed to steam my wedding gown) and although the hotel had one, it did not work well at all. The staff had no solutions and stated that I could send the item to the cleaners but it would not return in time for the wedding. In the end, I hung the gown in the bathroom and turned on the hot water and let it steam that way. It was not the greatest but took out the major wrinkles. The room service was good but I was disappointed that 24 room service only had cold breakfast and at that, it was instant oatmeal. No coffee maker in the room but 9 floors down, there was coffee in the lobby. There is no microwave in the room or the lobby. I suspect someone would take care of that for a tip. The staff is very attentive and pleasant, This is a pet friendly hotel and it was fun to see the variety of pets from huge to tiny. We declined checking out the goldfish for our room. Not sure where I would have set him anyhow. I might do that if I traveled alone though. The happy hour had hot toddies and wine, cider and hot chocolate with complimentary chair massages that were wonderful. I received a local paper daily, including weekends. The hotel bar is expensive but very nice and the bartenders are great and personable.

The temperature was easy to control. The room is small, so I suggest if you have any other activities planned beyond sleeping, pay for a suite. The woman who came to do my hair struggled to find a place to set up. The lighting is dim at best so we ended up half in the bathroom half in the room. We also struggled with finding room to set the room service tray down and ultimately ended up eating in bed. There is a desk with plenty of outlets and the wireless is excellent. The TV is nice but we didn't really use it. The staff received and delivered my flowers to my room promptly, which was nice. Although I had to call a couple of times, we did get extra towels. This hotel is very clean, has great ambiance and smells good too. Overall, it was a very good, although expensive experience.

Room Tip: The elevators are away from the lobby so higher rooms are much further away and ice is only on certa...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed there on business early December. Can't say enough about it. The staff was very inviting and super professional. Amongst the best housekeeping staff I've ever encountered... and I travel close to 200 days per year. The little amenities - drinks in the lobby, complementary massages, etc were a great touch. Thought the rooms were great - plenty spacious. The location right down town is excellent. EASY walk to anywhere I needed to go.

The decor exuded a hip, elegant feel. Definitely felt like a world-class boutique hotel in the best sense.

If you do plan to stay there, it's silly not to join Kimpton In Touch (their hotel loyalty program - and I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of these programs), but they gave me free internet and a $10 Raid the Mini-bar credit. First program I've seen that really pays off during the first stay and every stay.

Disclaimer: I definitely do NOT work for Kimpton or any other hotel company, I'm just a really big fan after an amazing stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled that you enoyed our hotel and your remarks will be shared with our entire staff. We can't wait to see you again soon!

enfield, ct USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

The location, staff, rooms:everything about this hotel was incredible! Spent the weekend there, the first of Dec and enjoyed the stay immensely.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back again soon!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I had a great stay and the room was very nice. Wife loved the decor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Fred,

Thanks for being our guest and for sharing your comments. I'm glad to here that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again soon.

MaryLynn Beck

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!