We chose the Monaco as a place for our honeymoon. It is close to Temple square and all the downtown activities as well as the rail system. Check in was very easy and because I am a member of their rewards system I received two cards for discounted items from the in room snacks and free internet. We had signed welcome cards to greet us on the bed. Parking is $17 a day and there is little to no street parking.
The room is lovely but very small. Very boutique. The bathroom is very nice but has no exhaust fan and it is so close to the room that can be problematic. The bathroom amenities are AVEDA, which I love. Lots of hotwater, good granite counter space, a blow dryer.
The refrigerator in the room is stocked with very expensive snacks,with no room for personal items without removing the contents. I liked the snack and "extra" selection but did not purchase any due to the price. I thought it wonderful that they offered Tom's flouride free toothpaste since I use flouride free toothpaste. I didn't need it but thought it was great to have on hand just in case. There is a somewhat ugly robe that is comfy for guest use. They had slipper socks in the closet with a warning that if they are used it is an additional $15. Just about everything at the hotel is extra. The bed was very comfortable and it was very nice to have an ipod player in the room. I requested a steamer (I needed to steam my wedding gown) and although the hotel had one, it did not work well at all. The staff had no solutions and stated that I could send the item to the cleaners but it would not return in time for the wedding. In the end, I hung the gown in the bathroom and turned on the hot water and let it steam that way. It was not the greatest but took out the major wrinkles. The room service was good but I was disappointed that 24 room service only had cold breakfast and at that, it was instant oatmeal. No coffee maker in the room but 9 floors down, there was coffee in the lobby. There is no microwave in the room or the lobby. I suspect someone would take care of that for a tip. The staff is very attentive and pleasant, This is a pet friendly hotel and it was fun to see the variety of pets from huge to tiny. We declined checking out the goldfish for our room. Not sure where I would have set him anyhow. I might do that if I traveled alone though. The happy hour had hot toddies and wine, cider and hot chocolate with complimentary chair massages that were wonderful. I received a local paper daily, including weekends. The hotel bar is expensive but very nice and the bartenders are great and personable.
The temperature was easy to control. The room is small, so I suggest if you have any other activities planned beyond sleeping, pay for a suite. The woman who came to do my hair struggled to find a place to set up. The lighting is dim at best so we ended up half in the bathroom half in the room. We also struggled with finding room to set the room service tray down and ultimately ended up eating in bed. There is a desk with plenty of outlets and the wireless is excellent. The TV is nice but we didn't really use it. The staff received and delivered my flowers to my room promptly, which was nice. Although I had to call a couple of times, we did get extra towels. This hotel is very clean, has great ambiance and smells good too. Overall, it was a very good, although expensive experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated boutique Hotel Monaco, located in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, combines sumptuous décor, savvy service and superb amenities, making this luxury hotel unabashedly seductive. Set in a refurbished landmark building, the hotel sits across from the Capitol Theater and near Energy Solutions Arena,historic Temple Square, Salt PalaceConvention Center, Salt Lake Art Center and more. Adjacent is the award-winning Bambara restaurant, a favorite of locals and visitors alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton Salt Lake City
- Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel Utah
- Hotel Monaco a Kimpton Hotel