“Very nice, but expensive and small” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roanoke, Virginia
“Very nice, but expensive and small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We chose the Monaco as a place for our honeymoon. It is close to Temple square and all the downtown activities as well as the rail system. Check in was very easy and because I am a member of their rewards system I received two cards for discounted items from the in room snacks and free internet. We had signed welcome cards to greet us on the bed. Parking is $17 a day and there is little to no street parking.

The room is lovely but very small. Very boutique. The bathroom is very nice but has no exhaust fan and it is so close to the room that can be problematic. The bathroom amenities are AVEDA, which I love. Lots of hotwater, good granite counter space, a blow dryer.

The refrigerator in the room is stocked with very expensive snacks,with no room for personal items without removing the contents. I liked the snack and "extra" selection but did not purchase any due to the price. I thought it wonderful that they offered Tom's flouride free toothpaste since I use flouride free toothpaste. I didn't need it but thought it was great to have on hand just in case. There is a somewhat ugly robe that is comfy for guest use. They had slipper socks in the closet with a warning that if they are used it is an additional $15. Just about everything at the hotel is extra. The bed was very comfortable and it was very nice to have an ipod player in the room. I requested a steamer (I needed to steam my wedding gown) and although the hotel had one, it did not work well at all. The staff had no solutions and stated that I could send the item to the cleaners but it would not return in time for the wedding. In the end, I hung the gown in the bathroom and turned on the hot water and let it steam that way. It was not the greatest but took out the major wrinkles. The room service was good but I was disappointed that 24 room service only had cold breakfast and at that, it was instant oatmeal. No coffee maker in the room but 9 floors down, there was coffee in the lobby. There is no microwave in the room or the lobby. I suspect someone would take care of that for a tip. The staff is very attentive and pleasant, This is a pet friendly hotel and it was fun to see the variety of pets from huge to tiny. We declined checking out the goldfish for our room. Not sure where I would have set him anyhow. I might do that if I traveled alone though. The happy hour had hot toddies and wine, cider and hot chocolate with complimentary chair massages that were wonderful. I received a local paper daily, including weekends. The hotel bar is expensive but very nice and the bartenders are great and personable.

The temperature was easy to control. The room is small, so I suggest if you have any other activities planned beyond sleeping, pay for a suite. The woman who came to do my hair struggled to find a place to set up. The lighting is dim at best so we ended up half in the bathroom half in the room. We also struggled with finding room to set the room service tray down and ultimately ended up eating in bed. There is a desk with plenty of outlets and the wireless is excellent. The TV is nice but we didn't really use it. The staff received and delivered my flowers to my room promptly, which was nice. Although I had to call a couple of times, we did get extra towels. This hotel is very clean, has great ambiance and smells good too. Overall, it was a very good, although expensive experience.

Room Tip: The elevators are away from the lobby so higher rooms are much further away and ice is only on certa...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed there on business early December. Can't say enough about it. The staff was very inviting and super professional. Amongst the best housekeeping staff I've ever encountered... and I travel close to 200 days per year. The little amenities - drinks in the lobby, complementary massages, etc were a great touch. Thought the rooms were great - plenty spacious. The location right down town is excellent. EASY walk to anywhere I needed to go.

The decor exuded a hip, elegant feel. Definitely felt like a world-class boutique hotel in the best sense.

If you do plan to stay there, it's silly not to join Kimpton In Touch (their hotel loyalty program - and I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of these programs), but they gave me free internet and a $10 Raid the Mini-bar credit. First program I've seen that really pays off during the first stay and every stay.

Disclaimer: I definitely do NOT work for Kimpton or any other hotel company, I'm just a really big fan after an amazing stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled that you enoyed our hotel and your remarks will be shared with our entire staff. We can't wait to see you again soon!

enfield, ct USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

The location, staff, rooms:everything about this hotel was incredible! Spent the weekend there, the first of Dec and enjoyed the stay immensely.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back again soon!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I had a great stay and the room was very nice. Wife loved the decor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Fred,

Thanks for being our guest and for sharing your comments. I'm glad to here that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for a business trip and I realy enjoyed my stay. I loved the decor and my room was incredibly comfortable. Great bed, good shower and because I had a corner room, it was relatively quiet. The service was excellent and I loved the hotel restaurant, Bambara. Only negative comment is that the bathroom was really small, but most hotel bathrooms are these days. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel, and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I hope you will be back again soon! Have a wonderful holiday season.

Cheers,

La Canada, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

On a brief one day trip to SLC, I got a great room at Hotel Monaco. Just about everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very nicely decorated. High ceiling, lots of lighting and large windows made it even more inviting. Wifi worked well if not a bit slow, but the desk and chair were ergonomically correct and the wireless phone very useful. Bed was comfortable and linens top notch. Unfortunately, while being away at the corner I thought the noise would be minimal. Instead, I deal with a loud crowd of the local "Occupy" movement and with rather very noisy guests on the floor above mine who were very active at 3:00 AM with some sort of power tool. Go figure... I mentioned to the staff about the noisy and they gave me the valet parking for free. I also noted that the bathroom sink didn't drain which was frustrating. Otherwise, the place is worth a visit. The only unusual thing was that their breakfast service doesn't start until 7AM. if you want to eat before then, you have to go elsewhere or be OK with cold cereal.

Room Tip: The rooms at the corners are larger than the regular rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the disturbances you had during your stay. It is typically a very quiet city and hotel. I hope you will visit us again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I go to Salt Lake City for business monthly and always stay at the Hotel Monaco. It is a great hotel with outstanding service from everyone. I really like their free daily happy hour and the restaurant is also very good. The Kimpton chain is great for those looking for great service and a non-cookie cutter hotel experience.

Room Tip: Request corner rooms on high floors
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thanks so much for making us your home when you are in SLC! We sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to having you back soon.

Warm Regards,

MaryLynn Beck

Been to Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!