“Will be nice when renos done” 3 of 5 stars

City Creek Shopping Offer
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Regina, Canada
“Will be nice when renos done”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed there as it is within walking distance to the home of the jazz.
Renos on all floors so if you like to sleep in, forget it for another couple months. Renos didnt bother us as we were just there for one night and found the staff nice and the room clean. i would only stay there again if I wanted to be downtown as the area isnt the best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Topanga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed recently for the second time at this Hampton property in order to be close to events downtown. As clearly stated on their website, the lobby was undergoing construction but except for the elevators, the construction did not affect my stay. The property is clean and everything pretty much appeared in order. The hotel staff were friendly and no problems with my bill. Housekeeping seemed to have skipped my room one day but I believe it was because the management had me down in a different room from the one I was assigned.

The furnishings in my room seemed a little old and some of the fabric was just showing its age; however, no funny smells or unsightliness. The flatscreen TV had a decent assortment of offerings and the Wi-Fi mostly worked fine though often it took several attempts to log in before I could access the internet. I saw a fitness center and saw guests using the indoors pool. The complimentary breakfast was up the usual Hampton standard s with hot entrees of biscuits, sausage, and gravy one time, omelettes, sausage, and potatoes another, and finally scrambled eggs, sausage, and breakfast muffins on my final day. There was cereal, pastries, toast, bagels, cut fruit, and the obligatory waffle maker. The coffee was pretty good and available all the time.

This property is within easy walking distance to the Convention Center and to the TRAX lines. There is a Wendy’s, a McDonalds, and a Denny’s on the same block as well as a pawn shop and a state liquor store. I tried to avoid walking by the liquor store at night because of the shady figures and I saw variations of them at all hours except of course on Sunday when it was closed. Nervous guests might want to take note. Sometimes these shady figures wandered through the Hampton parking lot and contributed to the smell of cigarettes around the exteriors of the property. Sometimes the tobacco stink was offensive. Fortunately, the side doors require the keycard 24/7 and the parking lot is well lit. During my stay, many of the guests were attending a convention downtown or were young people on some kind of school outing. My neighbors whom I could clearly hear through the walls seemed to keep the same hours as myself.

Overall, the main reason to stay here is the location in the downtown area close enough to walk to the Convention Center though admittedly walking alone at night might give some guests anxiety. Even though overall I don’t have any complaints about my stay, I’m not sure I would stay here again even if I had business in the Convention Center area because there are plenty of similar lodging choices close by without having to wonder about the elements attracted to the neighboring pawn shop or liquor store.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Austin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Aldthough the lobby was being remodeled, the staff made the experance worthwhile. The room was very good, clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was one of the better I have had. It changed a little every day. Check in and Check out were effortless. I will stay there again when in Salt Lake City. Great location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Elko, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Usually, when I read a review of a hotel that is being remodeled it is a negative review and doesn't give a true picture of the facility. Updating hotels is a necessary evil to keep the facility in good repair. How the hotel handles the disruptions and noise is more important. Our room was clean and roomy with a very nice flat screen t.v.. The breakfast was very good considering the food was served in a meeting room. The entire lobby and eating area was under complete renovation. The management scheduled the noisy work at the appropriate times and kept the guests updated with what was planned for each day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Clean, comfortable rooms. Staff is extremely pleasant, great channel selection.

There are some renovations going on (which I knew in advance from the website), but there is no disturbance from it (I was able to work in my room during the day with no construction noise). I'm sure the renovated space will be great.

Only think I would have liked to have is mini fridge in the room.

• Stayed April 2013
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

See my title above. I have stayed in several hotels around this area (SW of downtown). This is among the better. Short walk (<5 mins) to restaurants and just a couple more to downtown center. Staff were extremely friendly and very helpful with directions. The renovations were visually unattractive but I didn't notice any noise (though admittedly, I was on a high floor). Breakfast OK for what it was - hey! It's free, right? Some variety... coffee, juice, eggs, cereal etc. Standard fare. Would probably stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Surprise, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've stayed in dozens of Hampton Inns, and I was disappointed with this stay from the start. The main floor of the hotel was undergoing a major renovation and I'm sure it's going to be great when it is done.

That said, I'll only deal with my experiences in my room and outside the hotel. The furniture was a little banged up, but the room was clean. The walls were thin and I heard conversations much of the night, along with a lot of road noise. On the bright side, the TV had a ton of channels, much more than usual.

Outside of the hotel was worrisome. The area seemed bad, a lot of homeless people. I walked to a nearby restaurant for dinner and was approached by panhandlers three time. I was very uncomfortable on foot. The hotel does not offer shuttle service to the airport, but I was able to get a cab for about $20.

The desk staff was extremely nice, but overall this is not a hotel I'll use again. There are many other hotels that looked better from a neighborhood standpoint, closer to Temple Square.

Overall, it's not up to what I expect from a Hilton property and I advise you to avoid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
slc425, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
MarkDavis,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for your experience. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve the safety of our hotel. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me at 801-741-1110.

Joe Bessette

Been to Hampton Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown? Share your experiences!