“Nice Enough” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alabama
“Nice Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed here on a business trip last fall. The room was huge! It is decorated in a strange decor. I had a horrible time with my key (not the slide card type). I wish there had been a little fridge in the room. Had to request a coffee maker, which they brought up in a very timely manner. The location was great and it is just a quick walk over to the light rail system which is free if you're only traveling within that area. You can take the light rail to Temple Square, the Family History Library and a big shopping mall with a bunch of great restaurants and shops. The lobby is beautiful and always had a big arrangement of fresh flowers. I had lunch in the hotel's restaurant one day and didn't care for it too much. The bell staff was extremely helpful and helped me get to where I needed to go when the concierage was too busy to help me. Overall it was a nice place to stay, especially if you're doing business in that immediate area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Okay- here goes... Little America is a very nice hotel and perhaps one of the strangest I've ever been in. Hardly anything in the hotel goes together to make it cohesive. That said- it was extremely clean (absolutely nothing to complain about here) and the room was large (albeit with a view of the Chevron). First, I'd request a tower room. We stayed in the garden rooms. There are NO gardens. There is a Chevron and traffic right outside so we couldn't open our shades being that I'm not an exhibitionist. And to get to said "garden rooms" you have to traverse the deep dark recesses of the hotel (the garden rooms are more like a motel) to get to them. Think- hiking through long halls to what feels like 3rd class steerage. Eventually we just cut corners by going outside back to the lobby. But again- the room was as clean as a whistle, the bathroom super large. And yet- outdated too. Bathroom had sage green tiles everywhere and the same At&T telephone circa 1985 that my parents have from when we were in high school.

Food? One morning I had a bagel and fresh fruit brought to me. The fruit was fresh, varied and it was all very good (no bowl of sad melons with the token strawberry) but a variety of fresh fruits and berries. Yet for dinner- ugh. We had eaten at some great restaurants and just decided to spend that evening in. I got a grilled cheese b/c how can you mess that up right? Wrong. And hubby got a BLT. He decided the bacon was clearly leftover from breakfast as he tried to rip it with his teeth. The grilled cheese was bad. Too much to write- it was just bad. I got a diet pepsi and husband asked if there was a decaffeinated soda. The waitress didn't understand and shook her head no. We asked about a sprite and she said no. So we asked her what drinks they had and she said 'pepsi, diet pepsi, sprite..." We just said we'd like the sprite- clearly a language barrier and she was confused. Husband also had eaten there that morning and said it was fine for breakfast.

Concierge- 90% pretty awesome. Great restaurant tips and directional advise.

Pools- One pool is in the middle of the parking lot. The other is on the 2nd floor of the Tower. Problem is- it's so windy that our clothes blew off the level to the parking below. Wind was so strong- it blew the chairs against the partition wall. But maybe that's just the week I was there.

Easy access to the metro line. Too far to walk to the Convention Center- if that's why you're here- but easy enough to take the tram.

Overall- we were there for a week. Husband was at a conference and I tagged along. It appears to me that a hotel and motel merged together to become one facility. So on the one hand- there are motel rooms (clean though) that are outdated w/ a parking lot pool and the other a hotel (can't tell you about those rooms) where the lobby is fairly swank and at least one of the lobby bathrooms looks pretty modern and updated. No plans to return to Utah anytime soon, but I probably would try something different next time.

If it helps we were in a room that ended in -17 I think (the Chevron room). But based on the cleanliness and concierge- I'd say 3.5 stars (but Trip Advisor won't let me do that) so 4 it is.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I stayed there for a convention. The rooms are clean, very large and roomy, although a little outdated. I hardly see staff but when we need something - it is brought up right away. It's linked to the Grand America, which is much nicer but you pay the price. It's too much of a walk to the convention for me to give it a better rating for the location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Great location to downtown, airport and to Temple Square. Buffet offered homemade fresh delicious food and not expensive!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Recife, PE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Fist time in Salt LAke and in the Little America Hotel and What a god surprise. The hotel is very big (it takes a whole block!). In the begginig it's a little dificult to localize yourseff even with the hotel map front desk gives to you. There is a main building and other small buildings around.
The rooms are large with a confortable bed large bathroom (some with a small fridge... a little strange but...) other sink in the room (hall of entrance).
The staff is frendlly and ready to help.
Free parking and complimentary wifi internet.
great hotel.
Dont forget to have breakfast in one of the restaurants, fantastic!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

This was our first visit to Little America and what a pleasant surprise. This is a very comfortable hotel, reasonably priced with quality throughout - we were particularly impressed with the quality of the furnishings in our large room. We decided to use room service for dinner as we had been travelling all day. I had chicken, my wife had steak - both dishes were very good and we thoroughly enjoyed. Staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout the hotel. The room contained a fridge but it would have been nice to have had a coffee percolator to enjoy a freshly brewed cup of coffee within the room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

While the hotel have a very nice appearance, the service is terrible. It was clear that the housekeeping staff did not adequately check out the room as the lamps were unplugges (and the bulbs didn't work when the lamps were plugged in), there was not dining information in the room guide, etc. The person working the front desk was very put out when I asked to have the items addressed.

Also, note that the hotel is a patchwork of building, each constructed at a different time so there is no direct way to many of the rooms and there is no signage to help customers from their way to their room. The (same) person at the front desk was again very put out that I didn't know the layout of the hotel and thus needed directions to my room.

I would defenitely not stay at this hotel again and would never recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!