“Charming Hotel in a Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Minnesota
“Charming Hotel in a Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at Little America while is Salt Lake and could not have been happier with our choice. The rooms are massive and very comfortable. The decor of the rooms and the hotel is very conservative-almost stuck in time but in a nice way. The TRAX station is right nearby, and parking is free in an underground lot. The pool was large and enjoyable. All this plus we got a great rate. I will definately stay here on my next trip to Salt Lake City.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My daughter and I stayed for one night in the least expensive category of room (courtside). The room was quite large and was very well maintained and clean. It was nice to have 2 sinks, 1 inside the bathroom and one outside. As others have said the decor is kind of retro, but not in a bad way. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed one night in the tower and couldn't have been more pleased. We booked our room for a mere $49 on Priceline.com and weren't sure what we were in for, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Our room was very large, very clean and the bed was comfortable. We left for dinner and when we returned, our bedding had been turned down, robes and chocolate had been left for us and soft classical music was playing. Not bad for $49 a night! :) I only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

This hotel had real character; it's part of a small chain of four or five hotels and is a really well-presented and well maintained property. The amenities and facilities (which is, after all what the star or diamond system describes to guests) were exemplary with courteous and super-quick service. The courtside rooms reminded me of Hollywood cabanas of another era, especially the furnishings and bathroom; good old-fashioned class - comfortable (especially the bed - great night's sleep), elegant in their own way and really clean. The location is really convenient for sightseeing although the hotel entrance is quite easy to miss depending on which way you arrive from.

We paid a Best Western price through expedia and we were completely satisfied with what we got.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

It's eerie how much the room and hallways are like visiting g'ma. It's clean and people are pleasant, but it's the very opposite of style. I think it's trying to be "comfortable," but it comes across as "spare bedroom."

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Our family was traveling from California to Washington via Salt Lake. I used Priceline to book all our hotels for the trip - and all of them 4 stars or better (or at least the highest start rating for that area).

Now usually, when I book at a certain star level, I expect certain things. I know that when a two star is booked, a two star is what I'll get. I know when a 5 star is booked...well you get the picture. Therefore, The Little America SLC, was a disappointment. It is NOT a 4 star hotel and it does not have the amenities or decor to warrant that designation.

Other reviews on here about the Garden rooms are correct. They are smaller and older and honestly look like they have not be renewed in quite some time. The tiling in the bathroom was old, the cabinets worn and peeling, the glass table chipped and the decor - kitschy for some - was ill suited for a 4 star hotel. Needless to say we were NOT impressed. On check in, we inquired about a tower room (as we knew that the Garden Rooms were usually "priceline/hotwire" designate, and were told that it was a $40 upgrade.) No dice we thought. But upon seeing our room, we complained to the management and were given a tower room to see the difference. Well, the tower room was different, but still not what I'd call a 4 star room. We took the room (although did NOT pay the upgrade fee) in the tower. When I went to get the key from the desk, the woman was less than impressed.

My main beef with the hotel is that it is advertised as 4 diamond/star, which to me carries a certain amount of responsibility in how it presents itself. The service was ok but the actual hotel was less than stellar. If Little America was a 2.5 - 3 star advertised property I could accept that you get what you pay for. However, it was not.

If you want retro-chic try the Monaco. If you want a 4 star hotel, try somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

On a cross country trip. Stayed 1 night. This hotel was recommended to me by two people but some of the reviews on this site had me worried. Booked it anyway because it was in the middle of downtown SLC. Upon arriving was immediately impressed by the grounds. While the lobby was crowded check in was fast and easy. Booked one of the garden rooms and it was large and cheerfully decorated. This had been the cause for my earlier concerns as some stated the rooms had seen better days. My room was spotless and well maintained . Yes the decor was old but old enough to be considered retro chic in my book . This felt to me like what my parents would have loved in the sixties. JFK era not hippie mind you. We had a nice tiny balcony with sliding doors that opened to let in some fresh air uncommon in most hotels. Ordered room service for dinner and the food came quickly and was very tasty. Once again the kind of food that would have been a fancy dinner in years past. No nouvelle cuisine here. Bathroom huge, amenities nice, quiet, clean and charming. Check out fast and easy. Coffee shop good at breakfast. Loved every minute of it . Will stay again when in SLC. You should too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!