“gracious and upscale, clean and lovely older rooms, slightly expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Little America Hotel

You added Little America Hotel to your Saves list
Little America Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wyoming
“gracious and upscale, clean and lovely older rooms, slightly expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My husband had a meeting and company paid for 1 night and we paid for the 2 following. I had researched to see if we could find a cheaper place as comfortable, but not necessarily as fancy. I found Salt Lake City has a big drop in comfort with a small drop in price. We paid $110 for the cheapest section, and across the city, a 'Super 8' kind of place charged $85. So for the level of comfort, access and room size, this is a much better value.
the pluses:
The room was large and comfortable, The bathroom was older, but very clean and pleasant. The shower (something I always care about) was clean and the water temperature, volume and pressure was great-- many other places have a water reducer that makes the water come out in a harsh mist, painful and hard to use. This one has a wonderful shower head that was ample, and the volume was amazing. You almost had to brace yourself against the pressure--lovely! the towels were large and soft.We asked for the free coffee pot, and they came with mugs, very nice.
The TV was fine, the bed was slightly upscale, sheets were soft and well tucked in-- Don't you hate the ones that are tucked in so when you pull out the top sheet and blanket all the bottom ones come, too? These didn't. There were 5 pillows, one of them soft enough for me.
There are 2 restaurants on site. One is fancy and expensive, the other is an upscale cafe and both are wonderful. We ate Valentines breakfast at the $$$ buffet, but OMG! I was in heaven. There was anything you could want, from a omelet cooked in front of you to smoked salmon and blinis, and a fruit bar that had the biggest blackberrys and rasberrys you ever saw, and of course all the oranges and grapefruit was pre-sliced. Really worth the price.
At the cafe, the food was wonderful and not excessively expensive. The chickenfried steak had gravy so good I wanted to lick the plate.
the minuses
The walk to and from the main building is also a challenge. You have to walk through the traffic, and there is no sidewalk near the entrance. The indoor-outdoor pool is on the second floor of the main building, and we didn't even visit it, although I am a fan of swimming year-around. So you would have to dress, walk, and then undress to swim. The room attendant did not restock the coffee the second night, but did the 3rd.
I would stay here again, unless I found a place where the price/value ratio was better.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Finnish first
East Falmouth, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We spent 6 nights here to use as a base for skiing the many areas within a stone's throw of SLC. We found the hotel on line and can't say enough good about it. The room was spacious which is needed for a ski week, well appointed, and had easy to control heating. The bathroom was large with a great bath/shower to soak weary bones and muscles. The common areas were clean, spacious, well decorated and festooned with fresh flowers. Every single employee was gracious, friendly, and helpful. An example of this was the response we received when we asked for a night light for the room as the bathroom seemed so far from the bed! Neither housekeeping nor the hotel shops had one.When we went into that last shop the woman working asked us what time we went to bed and she would see what she could do. About 5 minutes before the appointed hour there was knock on our door. It was the bellman who had been sent out to purchase one for us! As one of us is vegetarian, we ate dinners away from the hotel as they did not cater to this diet. THhs was not a problem as there were so many varied venues within a few blocks. However, the breakfasts were huge, delicious, and a reasonable price. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

This is quite a nice hotel, although it's probably showing it's age a little.
My room was massive, with separate dressing room - very good. Although the decor was waaaaaay over the top. More like 17th century france than the USA. The TV was a little old.
There is a good general shop in the building - but the rest of the shops are just weird.
The location is ok - right next to a tram stop which will take you fully downtown and the Gateway Mall
Valet parking is a bargain - at like $6 a day.
I asked if I could store my large suitcase for several days - "no problem at all sir". That was good.
The laundry service was good - but didn't return my things on time (a couple of hours late) each time.
Overall, I'm fussy - but would be happy to stay here again no problem.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SLC, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I booked one night at the Little America Hotel in Saly Lake City for a surprise evening with my wife and no kids. Priceline billed this as a Four-Star hotel and that is what I had expected for a special evening. Suffice it to say the Little America may once have been a nice hotel. But it is now just a motor lodge, rooms are decorated circa 1978 and the propoerty itself has seen better days. It was reasonably clean but for what they charge this is absolutely not a 4-Star property and priceline should be ashamed for advertising it as one. If you are looking at Little America, keep looking!

• Disliked — Price, style accomodations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MngLASLC, Executive Assistant at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
Thank you for your comments. Little America Hotel is unique with its wide range of options for every traveler and budget while maintaining the 4 diamond standards for over 25 years. While we are an older property we make every effort to continuously upgrade our hotel, amenities and services to maintain our 4 diamond rating as well as our tradition of excellence. I apologize that the stay you had for your special occasion did not live up to these standards and appreciate you for letting us know. We welcome any direct feedback at edbox@littleamerica.com.
idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

The hotel property itself is nice and does have 4 star amenities. The rooms could stand some updating: bubble gum pink subway tile in the bathrooms?

The service, however, was terrible. The hotel staff didn't seem to know what they were doing. On check in, no one offered to help with bags and there didn't seem to be bell service.

On Friday night, the hotel booked dozens of holiday parties and allowed all of the party goers to park in guest parking. By 7:00 p.m., there was nowhere for guests to park and the management didn't seem to care. They did offer free valet service but it was very slow. The property is also HUGE and consists of the main tower and several annex buildings. It is a LONG walk to the valet station from any of the annex buildings, which was very inconvenient.

When I checked out, there was a restaurant charge on my bill that was not mine. The clerk would not remove it. After 20 minutes of haggling and 4 telephone calls to my friend who had paid for the breakfast, the clerk finally acknowledged that he had charged the wrong room. No apology was offered.

Service wise, this is definietly not a 4 star property.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments. Please except our sincere apologise. While the holidays are one of our buisiest time it does not excuse us from offering you the excellent customer service that you deserve and that the Little America's reputation is based on. Your comment has been shared with our Guest Service Manager (he handles the self parking and valet parkering) as well as the Fornt Office Manager to ensure your concerns are addressed. Little America Hotel has been a tradition of excellence for over 25 years and looks forward to maintaining that tradition for all our guests. We welcome any direct feedback at edbox@littleamerica.com. Thank you for letting us know.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

At first I thought I could not afford this property, but I stayed in a Garden room rather than the main tower and I'm glad I did. The service was excellent. I was right across from the pool. Room Service was timely and meal was hot.
The room was quite luxurious, so I cannot imagine what the tower rooms are like!
I was needing to pack up some paintings to take on the plane home and the service in the hotel provided packing tape and containers for me (all free of charge)
I will be staying at this hotel every time I visit Salt Lake City.

• Liked — Spacious Room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

My bi-annual industry conference was held in Salt Lake City, Utah this year. A city of which I've driven past and/or through at least three times in the last 10 years without stopping to "check it out". MY BIG MISTAKE.

Our conference was held at the Little America Hotel, about 20 minutes or less drive from the Salt Lake City Airport. From the word jump the experience was more than expected. The doormen, front desk staff know how to treat a guest. RESPECT is everyone's middle name here.

The CEO of my company was so impressed that no matter what else happened (and nothing bad did) he would have overlooked it. The cab ride to and from the airport was in some of the nicest and cleanest cabs I've ever been in. The cabbie's were professional, at least the ones we had.

The rooms at the hotel were amazingly beautiful. My wife thought for a second the staff made a mistake by giving us someone else's suite, but the room was standard. Excerise room and both pools were nice and clean. The pool areas were not "party scenes" but they didn't have to be. Kid friendly yet an elegant place best this hotel.

I would recommend the hotel for weddings, high school reunions (and they did host two while I was there), anniversary dinners almost any occassion.

• Liked — Too many things to mention
  • Disliked — Food Service staff could have been more focused at breakfast time
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!