“Just fine” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Just fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the things that bothered me wouldn't have bothered me if we had not paid so darn much for a garden room. Apparently its a very busy week in SLC because affordable rooms anywhere were hard to come by. For what i would normally expect to pay for a 4 star tower room we got a garden room, which was a journey back in time to the 1950's. These are the outside entrance rooms with parking right in front....which is convenient. BUT... also very noisy every time someone started their car. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. But the racket from all the parking lot traffic and people hanging out in the corridors was a bit much. One night there was a room near us (above us or next door, we couldn't tell for sure) that was either having a huge party, a wrestling match or overturning furniture all night long. There was a loose floor board in our room and every time we walked across the floor it sounded like someone was knocking on the door....it took us a bit to figure it out. I would stay at the Little America again but would probably chose several other places first.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I visit Little America at least 3 or 4 times a year for a get away. The rooms are big and comfortable with a reasonable price. We love the coffee shop for breakfast. Would highly recommend if you are thinking of staying in the downtown Salt Lake area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I’ve visited this hotel many times growing up, and I was excited to take my SO here on a getaway to SLC. After being away for so many years, I’m happy to say the resort is the same as I remembered, with some improvements!

Check-in was a breeze. The lobby and common areas were newly renovated, but retained the LA charm. The tower rooms were exactly as I remember; large and comfortable, with a dressing room adjacent to the large bathroom. Fixtures and furniture have been very well maintained but could use an update to match the rest of the resort.

Dinner at the newly renovated coffee shop was good. The coffee shop is a fixture of Salt Lake City living. The menu has been condensed from what I remember, but the offerings were great. Gone was the Cowboy Joe burger I loved, but I have to remember the last time I was there was over 15 years ago! :) The Little America burger is a unique but fine replacement.

Sunday Brunch is an experience. Everything is delicious and made to order.

On cold nights, the hot chocolate at the café in the lobby was great! We would take a cup to go before venturing outside to the light rail station to head downtown.

You cannot beat the affordable luxury at the resort and I’m glad to see it has stayed that way from visits in the past.

Room Tip: Choose one of the getaway packages online for a welcome bag, restuarant credit, and other nice touch...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Love it or hate it; it is classic Little America style. The rooms are monstrously large (probably as large as a suite) and have the same cliché decor such as red, white, and blue plaid lamp shades. Despite the dated feel, the room was absolutely spotless and had amenities such as a refrigerator, large tub, and fast internet.

The lobby is warm and elegant. Staff are friendly. I would recommend walking somewhere else to grab a bite to eat as there are plenty of comparably priced options just a few blocks away. For lunch, I recommend Robin's Nest.

Room Tip: If you are without a car, request a garden room near the lobby, but facing inward toward the parking...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brigham City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have enjoyed this hotel a couple of times unfortunately this was not one. It was New Year's Eve , my husband had gone to a lot of effort to make this a special night for us. However when we got there they had us in the wrong room, he had ordered a room in the tower so we could see the fireworks from our room if we chose to be in. And he had ordered me stargazer Lilly's and columbian roses, my favorites but instead we had three red roses for Kate . The hotel never did find mine. Also several necklaces went missing that we're very important to me. House keeping has not turned anything up. Really disappointed with their nonchalance attitude. My husband did present me with a lovely engagement ring, no joke, he wants to get remarried. But not here!

Room Tip: I don't think they handled the crowd for first night well at all, the food was to die for!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been anxiously awaiting the completion of Little America's lobby and coffee shop upgrade. When we visited December 18, it had been unveiled. The changes are improvements that keep within the spirit of Little America. We frequently visit here and love the ambience, so I was relieved that no damage was done to the tone of the place with the improvements. Well done, Little America! I will look forward to the next phase of changes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
toadlena new mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hotel is nice but if you stay in a Garden Room at the back you will find that the rooms are cold and don't heat up very well. Got so cold had to call the front desk for extra blankets at 2AM and got no break in the price for staying there...excellent hotel otherwise but the Garden rooms on the west end are older and the heating systems don't heat the room well, the floor is cold and drafty...otherwise the service, food and hotel staff are exceptional.

Room Tip: if you get a Garden Room you will need to bring an electric blanket and slippers because the floor i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, General Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that the room you booked did not have proper heating. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. In most cases, our staff would have offered to move you to another room if convenient. I am sorry that this was not offered to you. Please know that we are constantly looking for and finding ways to improve our property and our rooms.
If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.
Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!