“An eclectic place in downtown SLC” 4 of 5 stars

Little America Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Ranked #19 of 76 hotels in Salt Lake City
Seattle, WA
“An eclectic place in downtown SLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at Little America in the detached two-story rooms on a recent business trip. It is in a great location for conventions, and the price is very nice if booked in advance. There is more than adequate free parking, but you do have to be careful driving around the premises, as it is somewhat constricted and serpentine, and there are people walking in the middle of the roads. The grounds are very nicely kept and pretty. The pool is well-maintained though not exotic or glamorous. I very much enjoyed my swims in it.

The ice-maker was hard to find - it was not on the map that I was given when I checked in, and I had to wander around to find it. The management should consider indicating the locations of ice machines on their hand-out map of the property.

My least favorite part of my room was the toilet. not the toilet per se, but the fact that it is very close to the wall. This would normally not be a problem, but at some point, the management decided to put in heaters along the wall that stick out about 2 inches. This makes it impossible to sit on the toilet with your knee on the wall side straight, let alone in a comfortable position. You have to sit slightly askew on the seat to use it. This is not very much fun. I don't know exactly what can be done to fix this situation, but it is a major drawback.

The ice machine was periodically broken or out of ice in my building. Don't know if someone was filling up their ice chest or whatever, but it was annoying to have to scrounge around other buildings for ice.

The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows were soft and good for sleeping. The desk, while somewhat small, was more than adequate for working on my laptop. the free internet connection was also perfectly adequate for everything I needed to do. No complaints whatsoever! I also loved the lemon-flavored ice water in the main lobby. It was an elixir that I enjoyed each day.

One of the odd things was the cleaning people. I was out and about on Sunday. I left just as a cleaning person was set to clean my room (she had opened the door, parked her trolley outside, and entered the room). I went on my errand and returned about an hour later. She was still in the room. So I parked opposite the room where I could watch in my rear view mirror. She would go in my room with nothing in her hands for 15 minutes or so, closing the door when she went in. Taking a snooze? Looking for money? Who knows? Nothing was stolen from the room. She did this a couple of times, and all I can think is that she was either taking a nap or watching TV or something, because it doesn't take 2 hours to service a room.

904 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Just completed a stay here and I thought I got my money's worth. The location was great. The hotel staff was very helpful. The room was large a bit dated but overall nice. Room service. was prompt and good. The internet was a good There is work going on at the hotel so the lobby is not great but overall enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had five night's at The Little America and loved every minute of it, excellent service from all staff we encountered, from the very polite reception staff and porter, to all who served us in the restaurant. We had a Courtyard King Suite which was both spacious and immaculate, lovely sitting area to relax after a long day walking around the beautiful city, we had many of our meals in the restaurant and all were most enjoyable, prices a very reasonable. As others have commented in reviews, yes there is some construction work going on at the moment with renovation to the garden café, therefore there is a lot of noise in the other restaurant at breakfast and lunch, it didn't bother us, but if you're bothered by noise ask for a room on the other side of the hotel and you won't hear a thing. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Eleanor W-

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you as our guest upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.

- Hotel Staff
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent two nights here and loved it. Even though they were under construction we were not inconvenienced in anyway. Love the indoor/outdoor pool and the ability to swim till 11 pm. Very clean and staffed well. Staff was helpful and courteous. We will look for this chain as we travel.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a tower room suite and really enjoyed the luxury and added convenience.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear foxylibrarian,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Little America Hotel. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and had time to spend time at our pool. We are pleased we have gained your confidence in us and hope to have you as our guest once again.

Hotel Staff -
West Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just got back from a visit to Salt Lake City and there are a few good and bad things that I must say about this hotel.
First the good: The hotel is nicely placed right in the middle of downtown Salt Lake City and a nearby free trolley makes it really easy to get around since the blocks are extremely long. Unless you have a physical impairment, you should really walk because after eating at some of the fine restaurants dotting the area, you will want to walk off some of that food in some of the fine weather Utah has at this time of year.
Getting back to the hotel, make sure you get a room facing the large office buildings. The view to the left of the mountains is awesome. Make sure you look for the letter "U" in the mountains for Utah.
The staff is very accommodating and does their absolute best to overcome the minor shortcomings of the hotel, which are my bad things.
The bad/minor things: The hotel is a little dated and musty as evident from the smell coming from the room once the door was opened. Not sure what it was but a little airing out cleared the problem.
The furnishings were a little old and showed signs of heavy usage. The base of the throw pillows on the couch in the middle of the room were extremely dark and look as though they were not changed in ages. Not a big problem as I didn't spend much time in the room and I live out of my suitcases.
Finally, the view I mentioned came with a trade off as there was some heavy construction going on on that side of the building. Not a problem if you don't plan on staying in the room.
If you go to Salt Lake City, there are three things you must see if you are not adventurous and four if you are.
1. Park City which has some of the best outlet shopping in the world. Personally, I thought the view driving through the canyon on the way there was a treat in itself.
2. The Salt Temple which is one of the most beautiful buildings you will ever lay eyes on. Salt Lake City would not exist if this building was not erected, and thus should be treated as a must see on any trip to SLC.
3. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They frequently allow and welcome the public to see their rehearsals and they sound so good it will make you want to confess your sins right there on the spot. Simply put, they sound angelic.
4. If you are adventurous, you must take a guided tour into any number of canyons that are in the area. Simply nature at its most beautiful, especially the sunsets which are awesome.
Overall, if you can overlook the minor problems of the hotel, the upside is tremendous.
I do recommend and would return to this hotel is I ever returned to Salt Lake City.
P.S. The nightly mint chocolates left by the turndown service are a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor facing the high rise buildings. The view of the mountains in the backg...
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

On a corporate rate, so it's normal they would place me in the end of the motor lodge "garden area" earth...However, any housekeeping worth their salt would make sure there was a coffee pot and NO MOSQUITOS. First thing I did was kill several, straight off. There's nothing worse than getting in after a long flight than that annoying buzzing, or worse-killing them and wondering if you're going have to take that midnight dive under the covers.

Dated...no elevator. I don't have a problem carrying my bag. Do they put disabled persons on the ground floor? How do disabled people get all the way down here? Just saying. I would not book here if it was not for work.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

As a frequent business traveler and commentator on Tripadvisor, I can tell you that I have seen it all, both good and bad. Below is a dispassionate view of my recent stay this week at the Little America hotel.

The good:
* Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient
* The location near downtown Salt Lake City is terrific
* The complementary WiFi provided by the hotel was excellent and reliable
* Parking was quite easy
* Nice deep bathtub
* Friendly staff
* Excellent selection of traveler amenities in the hotel shop

The bad:
* Bug bites. Got about 15-20 itchy bug bites on my arms, hands and legs following my first night's sleep. Thankfully nothing on my torso, back or face. Got more bug bites after my second night's sleep.
* Upon checkout, I mentioned to the front desk that the room might have an issue. The checkout clerk looked like she did not know how to process this information, so I kindly asked her to inform her manager for the comfort of the next guest. Maybe I should have been more forward, as I didn't see her take any information down or show much interest in my inquiry. I probably should have asked for a manager to make sure that any issue was certainly addressed.
* The hotel is very dated. The room I stayed in reminded me of my grandmother's house.
* Room had a lot of wear and tear. Caps on the bathroom faucets broke off, flush chain inside toilet snapped in half, etc. Just silly small things that add up to make an uneven impression.

Overall, I would not come back if I had the option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valued feedback regarding your stay. It is unfortunate to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please know that we make every effort to educate our staff about bed bugs and that we work closely with a company to ensure our rooms are meticulously inspected on a regular basis. We consider the potential for bed bugs to be a very serious issue and make these inspections our top priority. Please know that I have reviewed your comments with my staff as it is important for us to share the feedback we receive with our employees. I welcome you to contact my office or email me directly at your convenience so that we can ensure the room you stayed in was recently inspected and cleaned in addition to making sure the maintenance issues were addressed. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!