“They should warn you about construction before you book.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$20 Sinclair Gas Card
Ranked #16 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Reno, Nevada
“They should warn you about construction before you book.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel needs redecorating as well as remodeling. It is mostly pastels with light furniture. Not a rich look at all, very dated. The carpets are looking worn in the halls and in the hall my room was off of, there was a place where the wallpaper was coming loose near the ceiling. There were chips of paint gone near the elevator doors. I was in one of the more expensive tower rooms. It was exceptionally clean. That was very nice. The staff in general is very pleasant and helpful. Dinner is much better across the street at the Grand America. Much better! Breakfast was fine at the hotel. Maneuvering through the drinking laws is still unpleasant in Utah but that isn't the hotel's fault. You can't go have a civilized before dinner drink in the bar without ordering something to eat. A night cap is also not possible without eating again. These things are just what you have to put up with in Utah.

I did encounter three difficulties. I booked for a week of rest and quiet and on the morning of the 5th day, I had hammering and power drilling in the room next to me at about 8 AM. I was on the 8th floor and on the opposit side of the hotel from where the remodeling was going on. I called the desk and was apologized to but the noise kept on until I left the room for the day. The next morning it started all over again but this time at 7:30 and continuted until I went out again. I called the front desk and was given to a manager. He was terse but did agree to comp me 1/2 day for each day. Strange. Why not just one full day? Since I had him on the phone I thought it was only fair to warn him that I had tried to check my email on the hotel WiFi and immediately picked up 5 serious viruses which took some time to get rid of and then more time to restore all the documents and information that I had lost. Luckily I have very good security on my computer or I might not have know about them so quickly. I thought he would want to be warned of that. He immedately got condescending and said it would only happen if I was downloading questionable material. I asked him if my email was questionable material. He said that it could only happen if they had been hacked. I told him that was my point in warning him. I didn't dare use the internet connection again so any work I had to keep up on was out of the question. Finally, they have car loads of fresh flowers and most of them seem to be star lillys. They are beautiful to look at but the stench was overpowering. Their odor is very cloying and heavy. I heard several people mentioning it in the lobby while waiting for my car to be brought up.

The stay would have been much better if not for the unacceptable noise and unacceptable attitude of the manager.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is one of those occasions where I wish there was another category above "average" because this hotel was better than average but I'm not sure it was "very good" - more "good"!

We were situated in one of the courtyard style rooms, which to be honest were more motel in style rather than hotel. The rooms were large, clean and modern with all the usual facilities one would expect. Although, I did look rather wistfully at the Grand America Hotel opposite. The main benefit of this type of room of course, is the fact that you can park your car outside which makes the whole luggage thing much easier. The main disadvantage was that it was pouring with rain so we got soaked walking over to the restaurant in the main hotel and it was a fair walk as we were situated about as far away as it was possible to be! Service was mixed because we walked over to the reception to tell them that there was no in-room coffee and they said they would immediately organise some for us. However, after a wait of over an hour, we had to go over to reception again to remind them. They were apologetic and the coffee eventually arrived.

We ate in the main restaurant which we thought was pretty expensive - especially the wine. The food though was excellent, as was the service.

The hotel was situated within easy walking distance of downtown Salt Lake City and the Temple, which were about 20 minutes away.

All in all the hotel was comfortable, not the best I have stayed in and not bad all the same. If we were to visit Salt Lake City again, we would probably stay here due to the ease of finding the place, parking and the proximity to Downtown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We returned to Salt Lake this summer and had another enjoyable stay at the Little America. I love the location on the southern fringe of downtown and located right next to a TRAX station which can now take you all the way out to the airport. This is a real "old school" place. It has a quiet elegance. Although the furniture is a bit outdated, the rooms are very clean and are massive. We had a balcony with beautiful views of the mountains although it would have been nice to have a couple chairs and a table out there. Huge indoor/outdoor pool, and free underground parking. I gave it a 4/5 this time only because we paid substantially more for the room than we did 4 years ago. There are several other hotels in downtown that looked quite nice that were much less expensive. I'm not sure if the value was quite there for the price we paid. I would certainly stay here again if I'm able to get a discount off the full rack rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a conference in July and couldn't have been more pleased. Although, I have to admit when we arrive I was a little disappointed by the appearance of the hotel, as they were undergoing construction, the interior of the hotel and the room more than made up for it. The staff was friendly, and the rooms were exceptionally roomy and clean. The location was within walking distance of the light rail, so it made it easy to get to the hotel from the airport and back when we departed. Also, free to ride to downtown for shopping and meals on our free time. Only suggestion to hotel is to staff the Sports Bar with more staff at breakfast, lunch & in the evenings, only one staff to accommodate large crowd of people from the conference was not sufficient.
Otherwise, trip was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great value, Excellent service - Thanks Curt for finding us a room on the 30th of July. Love this place and the prices are very good. Nice room, clean and large. The pool is wonderful and the food was excellent. This hotel was a great find on our trip to Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: This hotel will surprise you with excellent quality and price!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed her back in May for my anniversary. I was extremely disappointed. The room and hallways smelled of mildew. When I check the bed for bed bugs I saw a huge 24 inch yellow stain on the mattress. It was disgusting. The carpet was dirty as well. The table was sticky. The personnel at the front desk were cold. So not like Utah. My Aunt and Uncle used to stay here when I was a kid. It was nice, now it seem everything went in to the Grand America and they don't care about their sister property.
BTW we stayed in a tower room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is in a convenient location, walking distance to the city and near airport and public transport. The breakfast buffet is extensive and well priced. We requested maintenance when we arrived and someone showed up within minutes to address our concern.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden style room, but the tower rooms are superior
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!