“Great Hotel - Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Denver, Colorado
“Great Hotel - Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love this hotel! My room in the tower is spacious and has a great view. It is equipped with a coffee maker, two sinks, a glass enclosed shower/bath, and a flat screen TV. There are two restaurants. One is more formal and great for a business dinner. The other is perfect for a quick breakfast or lunch and features counter service as well as tables. If you'd rather not venture out, room service is also available.

Indoor parking is available under the tower, which is nice if it's raining or snowing.

The location in the middle of downtown allows for an easy trip to visit Temple Square and quick access to the highways. Also, it's only about a 10 minute drive to/from the airport.

Room Tip: The higher floors in the tower have great views. The corner rooms have large windows on two sides...

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Ok this hotel is centrally located in Salt Lake , close walking distance to all the main action. The hotel rooms are spacious and super comfortable , the pool was excellent has an indoor / outdoor portion. the lobby is very cool and inviting. Staff are excellent , helpful and very nice to deal with. Fodd also was great. Salt Lake is a great place to visit as well. I found the rooms also went well with the overall decor of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Enter to find a majestic lobby and attentive bellhops to take your luggage. Great first impression. But the stodgy old-fashioned decor in the rooms and hallways, and lapses in service will tell a tale that is reflected only too well in the rotting mirror panels around the elevator doors: that this perhaps once great hotel is past its prime, and needs renewal, in both renovations and some shaping up by the staff - lest its guests find their stay unmemorable, or worse, memorable for the wrong reasons.

If you want the gory details, read on.

The room: incredibly spacious, but it took me a while to get over the shock from the decor. Imagine a monster swallowing a Louis XIV interior, a Barbie dollhouse and a dash of the 1950's, and regurgitating the lot with some stomach acids. It actually didn't look as bad under incandescent light, but under the initial fluorescent light it was depressing. I got flashbacks of being dragged by my mom into a flea market held in an old, hot, cramped eighteenth-century building in Paris as a six-year old, miserable and bored to tears. Or visiting very old relatives and feeling uncomfortable the whole time, at about the same age.

The service: once in our room, we wait a while for our luggage. Call the front desk a few times, they say they LOST it - even as we recall crossing the bellhop pushing the cart on the elevator (to be fair, he didn't get in so as not to crowd us). Over half an hour later, he finally finds us, almost late enough to make us miss the dinner we had planned that night. A symptom of things to come: the front desk greets our calls obsequiously but we need to call them twice or more for every request (missing bathrobe; faucet leaks; bathtub doesn't drain - though some of this is the building getting old and might not be easily fixed); the different parts of the staff (front desk, housekeeping, etc.) don't seem to talk to each other (the jacuzzi is open - no, it's not - yes, it is). And I was particularly infuriated by the hotel staff member who, upon delivering the missing bathrobe, poked his head in to sneak a peek at my girlfriend lying half-naked on the bed, despite my clearly standing in the way to protect our privacy!

Amenities: the jacuzzi and heated pool were great, but that they were overrun at any hour by drunken guests and hordes of out-of-control kids was a bit off-putting. Not directly the hotel's fault, obviously, but an awkward experience nonetheless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, General Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the information about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the décor of our property. We pride ourselves on the quality of our product as well as the service that we offer our guests and it is important for me to share your feedback with our staff. We have made several changes to our property including our guest rooms and will continue to do so.
I am sorry to hear that your luggage did not arrive in a timely manner. It is difficult for me to research details of what happened without being given detailed information.
Thank you again for sharing your comments. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel
edbox@littleamerica.com
Riverdale, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife & I were in town to see a play. We road our bikes 40 miles in to Salt Lake City. The hotel was very accommodating. They stored our bikes over night for us. Rooms were clean, safe and comfortable. My wife loved the decor. Seemed to be lots of families there but no hallway noise. Showers had great water pressure, which was great for my sore mussels. Slept very well. Room was on the street level; however there was no street noise. Had a good breakfast the next morning in the dinning room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I just got back from a three-night stay at the Little America Hotel, and I was pleasantly surprised. Given that we booked our room through Hotwire for $77 a night, I wasn't sure what to expect. Although the room decor is dated, it's still in great condition. We stayed in one of the garden rooms. Our room wasn't as large as some of the rooms pictured on their website, but it was very clean.
The two best things about the Little America are the location and the pool. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown (or you can take the tram for free), and the pool is an indoor/outdoor, all-seasons pool.
Overall, I have no complaints at all. I really went into our stay thinking this hotel wouldn't be very nice, and I'm glad to say I was totally wrong.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are noisier than tower rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in what is commonly known as "the motel section", ie one of the garden rooms. The first room I was given was still occupied, which is not what you want to see after you've dragged all your bags across car parks, gardens, etc.. to eventually get to your room. On top of being occupied, the room looked really quite dirty and was smelly. It also had an interconnecting door to an other room, which is never good (soundproofing). The 2nd room I was given was ok. It didn't smell badly and it did not connect to an other room. However, it was not particularly great either: the decor was dated and the carpet could do with a clean up.
The staff was ok, but I did not find anyone to be particularly friendly or efficient, especially reception, generally understaffed and with long queues, which I guess may explain the lack of smiles or friendliness of the receptionists. The food in the restaurant was ok, albeit rather greasy.
The hotel is overrun by families and children on weekends. No issues there, as I guess this is a family friendly hotel, but it is no longer ok when you have to wait 40 minutes to have a table for breakfast, and not because there is not table availability, but because there are only 2 staff members allocated to take you to your table and who have not been trained to figure out that if there is a party of 8 followed by a single person, and there is a table available for the single person, then get that person seated while a table for 8 becomes available.
This is my second time in SLC and I only go there because of a conference, so not the "typical" SLC tourist, who is only going to use the hotel as a base and spend the day on the slopes. This hotel is better than the one I stayed in last year, which was next to the homeless shelter.., and all considered it was adequate for the price I paid. There's a tram stop just outside and you can get to the downtown area and convention centre relatively quickly. If I had to come back and the price was reasonable, I may stay again, but just because I doubt the competition is any better, and at least the garden rooms have balconies, so you can step outside for some fresh air on a sunny day.

Appleton, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm usually a person who thinks that others often expect too much from hotels and I realize that no hotel is perfect. I read the reviews for Little America and was very optimistic about my stay. Now I wonder if I stayed in a different hotel than many of these reviewers. There are actually two places to stay in this hotel. One is the tower which seems to be luxurious. The other is in what is best described as a motel surrounding it. That's where I stayed. This was at best a 2-star accommodation. The room had been updated with furniture and new bathroom sink and shower. However, the rug was not updated and had lots of stains. The bathroom walls and floor were covered with extremely dated pink tile (like the kind your parents had in the 1970s). The motel guests did have access to the amenities in the main tower, but in early March I would need to be fully dressed and wearing a coat to get over to the indoor pool from my motel room. Believe me, there were no chocolates or turn down service in the motel. When we arrived and were given the motel room, we asked the difference between the motel and the tower. Basically, were were told that the tower has the nice rooms. Nowhere did I see any indication of a two-tier system on their website. Would never stay there again. Really felt taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Tower rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the information about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not made aware that the Courtside rooms were located in separate buildings throughout our property, not in our main high-rise. I am sorry that our website was not clear to you, as all of our room types are listed with descriptions. I will certainly check into different options to update the descriptions.
Please know that for our guest’s convenience we do offer a separate dressing room area near the indoor pool and fitness facilities.
It is our intention to make sure our guests know what they are booking and that they enjoy their stay with us. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!